MacBook Pro Airport Fix!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aaron.lee2006, Aug 10, 2006.

1. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Hey everyone, a couple days ago I wrote a thread about how my aiport conection kept dropping on my MacBook Pro. Well tonight I decided to do a little experimenting. I checked out all the systme files and saw one in Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration called airportpreferences.com.plist or something like that. i thought hmm maybe if I trash that file it will restore itself with new preferences. Well i did that and I haven't had a drop in like 20 minutes. A new mac user figured something out about the operating system:rolleyes: I encourage everyone with MacBook Pro airport problems to try this it worked for me and it should work for you :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well done. :)

Deleting preference files (PLISTs) is a very common way of restoring an app or system setting back to its defaults. It's a far cleaner way of 'reinstalling' an app too.

For future reference, you just have to move it out of the folder you find it in to get the same effect as trashing it (drag it to the Desktop or somewhere). This way, if removing it doesn't work you can put it back into the original folder and regain your old settings.

Remember to never move preference files around if they're in use (if an app is open or if AirPort is running or whatever). If it's unavoidable (such as the Finder PLIST), then restart straight afterwards. Actually a log in and log out is all that's required, but sometimes a restart has additional benefits. :)

Welcome to Macs.

3. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Thanks for the info, sorry for the lte reply, I went on vcation. Took the MBP but no internet connection. Thanks alot.

4. briank1ne macrumors newbie

slightly wrong for me.

thanks dude you made me waste 50 bucks on apple support. I tried that and it did not work. but when i was on the phone the lady told me to remove the whole folder that the airport file is in. After I restarted it worked. So its the whole folder and not just the .plist or whatever it is file.

5. scottywotty macrumors newbie

macbook pro airport fix

Where is the airport file ?