OS X Macbook Pro and Borderlands 2 [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by timcs, Jun 25, 2013.

1. timcs, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a Macbook Pro A1286 9,1 with a switching video card going to a 650M Nvidia Geforce GT 512MB . The Mac is currently running with a 500GB drive and 4GB.

As I have been enjoying Borderlands 1 & 2 on the Xbox , it is one game I would like to try out on this Machine and as the price has dropped recently my concerns on buying the game are due to some of the posts against Borderlands 2 where users state that the game crashes on the New Models due to the new Apple Graphics Card drivers.

However when I looked at the supporting graphics cards listed on a support page at 2k (the game developer) they state that it does support the graphics card in my machine.

Has anyone played Borderlands 2 successfully on this model or one of the models from when these MacBooks were released?

Also I read that a wired Xbox 360 controller can work with this game, does this also mean that a wireless controller with the plug in charge cable can also work?

Thanks

TimCS

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors 68040

cluthz

Plug in charge cable does not transmit data, so that won't work.

I have a GTX660 which is same family as the GT650M, BL2 runs just fine.

4. macrumors 68000

The 512 MB of vRAM in you MBP will constrain you a bit, but the game should run OK as long as you turn some of the settings down.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, yes in the UK its £20.99 on the App Store , I have got a gift card to cover that , probably sort this out soon.

Good to know about the controller - didn't want to buy another if it would have worked :)

Yes, I suspected 512mb would not give me a lot but I know it would be ok to run a game.

Thanks

TimCS

6. macrumors 6502

I run it on a mac mini 2011, with the 3000HD intel thing.
    settings on medium/low on 1920x1200 and runs well

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

I wonder if my old MacBook would run it as well hmmm,.

8. macrumors 6502

Borderlands 2 is extremely well optimized and will actually run quite well on your 650M. My workstation at the office is almost the exact same setup, and it runs like a top :D

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it now thanks , just been trying out the resolution changes but stayed on the intro screen - that seems to handle them all but that is not the same obviously as playing the game

On the question of the controller. Here in the UK a company known as Game have a wired XBox controller and a wired Xbox Windows Controller.

Which is the right one for Borderlands on the Mac?

Thanks

TimCS

10. macrumors 68000

They're identical. Buy whatever is cheaper.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that Saturnotaku

Thanks

TimCS

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

Got game and controller now - Controller works fine at the menu - not started the game yet as I will play on this once I have more time :)

Thanks to everyone who has helped here on this

TimCS