Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

me2621a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
listen im sorry if this question has already been asked but i would like to know how well half life 2 runs on a 15 macbook pro running bootcamp.
My specs are 2.16GHz proccesore, 7200 rpm hardrive, and 2gb of ram. the ati mobility radeon is a 256 card.
What i am planng on doing is running half life 2 with max graphics settings, and at a ful 1400x900 res. i dont want the frames dropping below thirty and im hopping for the frames to be in the 40-50 on averge. If anyone has bechmarks for haf life 2 epesode 1 that would be great as well. or benchmarks using the lost cost demo.( the reason i ask for these is i want to know how it handles HDR)
if you have screen shots that would be great as well ( i have seen it run on imacs so i really dont care how they run on imacs i want macbook pro only answers. please)
Also if somone happens to have halo benchmarks that would be great to. thank you for your responses.
Now i have read that overclocking your vid card in these machines help however i also read that in windows the card is brought back to its origenal clock speed in about 45 minuts also that ati tools sucks and crashes windows to the pont were you have to reinstall it.
So if i can help it i would like to stay away from overclocking the MBP graphics. also if anyone has 3dmark scores for the 15 inch(not the 17 inch) i would like that.
Ow and i realize that this thread has been posted in the hardware section but i realized i put it in the wron place

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
3dmark scores

I havent tried Half Life 2 on a MBP myself, but it is a 2 year old game now and the X1600 is a new card. It should run everything on high.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Your machine will have no trouble with halflife 2

God I got 25 fps on a macbook with 1gig ram, and over 30fps when upped the memory to 2gig....

That was at 1024x768 and everything on HIGH.

On my iMac 2ghz 2GB 256 I get over 60 at 1384x768 (i think thats the res anyway, strange 16:10 res that it is)...

me2621a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
i suspected that much so from what i got you are saying dont worry half life 2 will play great. but the question that is really on my mind is what about valves new shader the hdr. it was in the lost cost demo and in the epesode 1 exspantion. i want to play that on hogh as well but i know that that shader requires alot of power so can the macbook pro do it

MacRumorsReader

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
I was playing it on a 2.16 2GB and the 7200rpm drive at 1440X900. I think everything defaulted to "high". I don't remember any hiccups or stutters.

It took me about 12 hours (non-stop!) to beat it.

me2621a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
MacRumorsReader said:
I was playing it on a 2.16 2GB and the 7200rpm drive at 1440X900. I think everything defaulted to "high". I don't remember any hiccups or stutters.

It took me about 12 hours (non-stop!) to beat it.

what weere you playing
if it was half life 2 congrats it took me 2monthes and i still havnt beeten iton my old computer. but im trying to find more coments on hdr games such as half life 2 epesode 1

me2621a

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
i dont want to know about imacs i want to know about macbook pro's without overclocking the gpu. and if sommone could give me frames per second that would be nice not on a imac on a macbook pro with a 256 meg x1600

Thekuvaman

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Hey guys, I realize this is an old thread but I'm into throwback gaming from when I was young and HL2 is on the top of my list. I was wondering why my late 2013 rMBP 15 2.3GHz i7 quad core with 16 G ram, nvidia GT750M with 2G ram has so much lag in open areas with in the game. It literally becomes unplayable, gotta be single digit fps.. :( I certainly expected a LOT more out of my nearly $3000 laptop. I'm still fairly new to apple products so before I get into disassembling this thing, are there any quick things I may be missing as to why it lags so horribly?? I love this game and want to get back to killing combine ASAP!!!!

Thekuvaman

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
No, OSX. I've even lowered all settings to minimum. Still, very poor frame rate in certain areas with lots of on-screen activity. Very disappointed :( Please help.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I've also downloaded gfxCardStatus to assign my discrete gpu manually. It's not using the integral chip; I'm getting these poor fps on the discrete gpu... There must be something we can do to utilize these specs. This machine, in all respects, should rip through this game-no sweat. Please help, much appreciated :)

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
It would be better if you posted a new thread in the MR gaming sub forum. I'll ask the mods to close this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.