MacBook Pro and HDTVs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woodcrest64, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I'm wondering if or how you can use your MacBook or MacBook Pro on a HDTV running at the full 1080P resolution.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Plug in an HDMI to DVI or DVI cable...whalla! Done.

3. Joony macrumors regular

Did you get one of those cheap Westinghouse 1080p LCDs? They seem pretty nice for the cost!

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I have a Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD (46") and it has 2 HDMI inputs, one of which has an analog line-in jack for use with computers. So I bought a DVI to HDMI cable from monoprice.com for video and a standard audio cable from the line-out on the MBP for the audio. Get full 1920x1080 resolution on my TV out of the MBP. Looks great.

5. flalaw macrumors regular

a small portion of left and right sides of my screen are chopped off when i connect to my phillips HDTV (black space). Also, the entire HDTV screen is taken up from top to bottom, but its as if i'm looking at a zoomed in version of my desktop b/c the dock and menu bar are also cut off. any solutions?

i tried all the different resolutions in my display settings but no luck

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

There ought to be an "Overscan" checkbox when you've hooked up to an HDTV. I say "ought" because sometimes there isn't. I haven't figured out whether or not there's any rhyme or reason to this.

7. Joony macrumors regular

flalaw, which model do you have?

I just hooked up my MBP on a friend's Sony rear projection HDTV and it was slightly cropped inwards. Unticking the overscan checkbox gave slight black bars.

If you have a Plasma or LCD, try looking for a 1:1 or dot for dot mode aspect ratio mode.

8. DodgerBlue macrumors newbie

I have a C2D MBP -- does it matter if I get a DVI-I or DVI-D to HDMI?

9. Snejenka macrumors newbie

I have the PowerBook G4 HD (the last PowerBook G4 made which has better resolution). I am using a DVI to HDMI cable to my Samsung HLS6187W. I don't have the Overscan on, but 1920 x 1080 the dock and menu bar are off the screen.... it's too annoying so I set it to 1600 x 900... until I find a solution..... been searching.