MacBook Pro and wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by daderunner, Feb 17, 2006.

1. daderunner macrumors newbie

daderunner

Hey everybody,

I currently own a poor man's Apple (Vaio) which I use for designing, administrative work, internet, mail, et cetera. We also own a G5 and G4, but these are not connected to the web and solely run audio and studio apps. I have decided to leave my Vaio behind and to also switch to OS X for my 'standard' work. I have ordered a MacBook Pro last January and can't wait to get it and totally leave XP behind.

The question:

What would you guys advise regarding the config of my wireless set-up? I currently use a Tornado 242 router that is connected to a cable modem. Unfortunately, my wireless connection drops out every 20 minutes or so (extremely annoying) and expect this to be cause by the Tornado. Would it be wise to switch over to 1 or 2 AirPorts and would I then be needing an AirPort base too? Please note that we also want 2 to 3 Windows laptops to be able to access the web wirelessly. It would be great to have a more reliable wireless connection...

Looking forward to your news! :)

BTW: Sorry for the long intro. I felt it would be appropriate to firstly introduce myself before asking questions.

www.i-dance.com

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

First confirm your wireless connection is dropping. Wire yourself directly the the cable modem.

3. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

IF you need to replace the router... and only need wireless... then you can go with the Airport Express... it works with Windows & MacOSX... so that's no problem... I have a client who has windows @ macs in his network all connecting to his Airport network with the 'hiddennetwork' 'hardware adress locked' & 'passwordprotection' on so its quite safe and accepts both windows & mac on it ;-)

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I second this. Also, the Airport Express has the built-in print server, and you can easily add a second unit to your network to extend the range.

5. daderunner thread starter macrumors newbie

daderunner

Thanks for the info guys! Any info on the signal strength of the AirPort? Would the config below be feasible?

incoming ADSL or cable --> connected with RJ45 to Airport 1 (ground floor) <--> wirelessly connected to Airport 2 with printer connected (2nd floor)

I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts. :)

6. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

If it was use buy a Belkin router because they have non internal anntennas and also they have a Lifetime Warranty.

The Apple Airport Extreme is a beautiful looking unit, but its ariels are built in which can lead to a decrease in signal.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The Imac DUO has issues with Airport. These vary depending on the access point, but slower connection speed than expected and some drop out have been experienced by a lot of users.

My connection speed is about a third of what it should be when using Airport. I use a belkin 54g USB with 10.4 Ralink Drivers as a temporary solution.

As the MacbookPro is essentially the same hardware I would not be surprised if it too suffers from the same Airport Problems. Which because of it mobile status, may indeed be exacerbated...

Bare this in mind. Hopefully Apple will release an update for this shortly.

8. daderunner thread starter macrumors newbie

daderunner

Many thanks for your useful info dudes. I have decided to wait with the AE until there's more news about the reliability. It's still an investment of approx. E 200,- so I will keep on to my Tornado for a while.

Thanks again! :)

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just as a further FYI, this is not a universal problem. Mine runs at least as well with my AirPort Express and/or my Linksys as my 12" PB does.

YMMV.