MacBook Pro and WoW specific benchmark request

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chrispy, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Ok.. I know there are a billion of these threads out there and I have posted in some trying to get this answer. I am considering getting a new C2D MacBook pro BUT I am concered about my WoW performance. I will be running the computer hooked up to a 20" widescreen monitor when at home and most of the time when playing WoW.

Right now, I run the game at 1280 x 960 in windowed mode on my PC and I get a solid 60FPS with pretty much everything turned all the way up. Could someone who has a similar setup please run this on either a MBP or C2D MBP and tell me what your average FPS seems to be? If you don't have it hooked to an external monitor then run it as close to the 1280 x 960 res as you can. Thanks a million! This will factor into my buying choice.

2. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Anyone? I am really curious about this one and can't find a direct answer to this anywhere.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Have you considered trying it out yourself at an Apple store?

4. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

The apple store is about an hour away (in good traffic) and then I would have to install WoW (assuming they let me) to try it out before. I will attempt this if nobody can test this for me. The attitude in my Apple store can be kinda crappy sometimes so I am unsure if they would even let me install something. I know people on here play WoW on MacBook Pros so I was hoping someone could try out my settings. Thanks for the suggestion and if I don't get any replies I will give it a shot this weekend.

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Thing is, not many people have their C2D MBPs yet, and how many of those play WoW? So I'd say wait no more than a week to see if anyone has results for you.

6. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I stated in my original post that MBP benchmarks would be fine as well. Does not have to be C2D MBP.

7. Zadillo macrumors 65816

If you're going to be getting a C2D MBP though, you probably want benchmarks from a C2D MBP. In particular, people have already found that the X1600 is clocked much closer to normal speeds (418/445) than the old CD MBP's (which were at like 270/300 or something).

WoW should conceivably perform better on a C2D MBP.

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I'd like to see the results myself. They should let you install it, since the trial is a freely distributed program. After all, you are the customer and how do they know you won't walk out the door with a C2D after trying it? Let the manager know what you're doing though, to avoid suspicion.

9. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I may just have to make this my next weekend project (or weekday project if I feel spunky after work haha). If anyone has these numbers still feel free to post them up here. I will report my findings if someone else doesn't first.

10. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Here's some benchmarks from Barefeats:

http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd3.html

So a Core Duo MBP gets 38 fps on their benchmarks. It's reasonable to expect that a C2D MBP would get somewhat higher than that, probably 45 to 50 fps.

One important thing to note is that Burning Crusade will be a *major* upgrade for the Mac version of WoW. The reason being that the OS X version is implemented with multithreaded Open GL (which the current version of WoW is not). Early "first look" reports are indicating that Burning Crusade is almost *doubling* framerates for Core Duo or Core 2 Duo equipped Macs, especially in situations that are CPU-constrained instead of GPU-constrained (which tend to be crowded areas, large-party raids, etc.)

I have high hopes for my MacBook and Burning Crusade. I'm currently getting about what the benchmarks above say, at least in outdoor areas. Maybe with the multithreaded OpenGL my lil' macbook can get about 30 fps in outdoor areas (it currently gets about 15 fps outdoors and 30fps indoors).

11. Zadillo macrumors 65816

True, although from this:

http://www.barefeats.com/wowmt.html

They said:

I wonder why that would be.

12. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Hmm...interesting. I don't know, but I'm hoping once Burning Crusade comes out, plenty of information would be available on how to optimize the Macs for use in multithreaded mode. I would really like to see Barefeats publish similar benchmarks for the MacBooks. I'm hoping that the MacBooks definitely benefit from the multithreading, since they don't have a dedicated GPU to begin with!!

P.S. What's this about "mouse lag"? I want higher FPS as much as the next guy, but a noticable mouse lag would definitely suck.

13. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

The more I read the more I'm pushed towards getting a MacPro. Then my only question is do I go for the 2.0 or 2.66? Is there a significant difference in speed between the two?

14. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Dude, keep the faith!! Previous posts I've read have indicated that 60 fps on a MBP is not ureasonable. And I have to believe that since the Core Duo / Core 2 Duo have 2 cores, that multithreaded openGL will only increase framerates further. I say do some more research and wait for more Burning Crusade benchmarks to come out.

15. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I've been debating this myself. I would go with the 2.66 GHz, it's a much better value for your money. Unless you want to use those savings for the X1900 XT... but personally, I'd go with the stock configuration. The 7300 GT is a good enough card, and it's much easier to upgrade than the CPU.

I want to get the 3.0 GHz if I can afford it!