Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
They are selling stock 1.83Mhz Macbook Pros (probably had some left in storage...) at the price of 1700$, plus a 200$ rebate. That comes down to 1500$, like a black Macbook.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
The Black Macbook is faster though...

Not GPU-wise...but processor speed.

And you can replace the HD yourself...I'd rather have the MB.

mini.boss

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2006
ITASOR said:

Really? If you can explain why then it would really help me with my purchase decision.

I saw that price drop last week for the MBP and was highly considering it. But then I was thinking maybe the MB is better. The 1.83MBP has been discontinued from Apple so if this is old stock then you may end up getting a well priced MBP but then also go through weeks of sending it back and forth for logicboard replacements.

The only thing stopping me from going Macbook is the premium you have to pay for black. As a PC switcher then I'm not brainwashed into the whole "white" thing so I'm hoping that merom may give Apple an oppurtunity to release black as an option for the whole macbook line.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
MacBook pro gives you larger screen, an actual video card, a sexier case that is thinner and not made of plastic, backlit keyboard,

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Assuming you cant use the Educational discount, I`d go for the MBP from Amazon. It`s a really attractive option. If you consider taxes than it actually turns out even cheaper than the BlackBook. I`d get the MBP for it`s GPU only. As far as problems with older stock is concerned, I dont think that is something big enough to leave this offer. You`ll get the 1 year Apple Warranty with it. So it`s a safe bet IMO.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
dpaanlka said:
MacBook pro gives you larger screen, an actual video card, a sexier case that is thinner and not made of plastic, backlit keyboard,

ditto, that's why I'm gonna go with a MBP, quite frankly the white MB looks a little bit like a toy to me. No offense to anyone that has one, but if I'm showing something in a boardroom to a potential client/employer I'd rather have the aluminum enclosure.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
ITASOR said:

It's smaller, weighs less, has longer battery life, and (I think) is better designed, being a complete redesign of the iBook rather than an evolution of the Powerbook.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Phatpat said:
It's smaller, weighs less, has longer battery life, and (I think) is better designed, being a complete redesign of the iBook rather than an evolution of the Powerbook.

Yes, I agree.

Oh and as for the HD, yeah you can't really replace it yourself on the MacBook at this time. You would need to pay someone certified or something in order to not void your warranty. The MacBook on the other hand, you just take the battery out and the HD is right there...it's a user replaceable part!

And I think the Black MacBook has a $100 rebate from Amazon....so it's really $1400.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Buy From Compusa!!!!

I just got back from my local compusa here in Dallas (frisco store) and picked up a MBP. It's the older model that's been discontinued and that's why it's on clearance.

2.0ghz
1gb ram
100gb hard drive
BT
AP
Superdrive
15.4inch widescreen
256mb video card

pretttty loaded up for the same price as a black macbook. IF you go to the locations tab of compusa find your city and click the link that shows the inventory blowout items at that local store. Mine showed 2 MBP's in stock so I decided I would get one from there. The price online was $1999. I got an email from compusa saying that you can take an additional 25% off of that price for anything that is a clearance of discontinued item.....AMAZING DEAL.....same MBP sells for $1949 on apple's refurb site. For me it was only $1499 plus tax of course. Here's the link to the inventory and the link to the 25% off coupon to use in store with the clearance item......Jump on this as quick as possible if u want a MBP. Just print out that coupon and go into the store that has the item you want. That same store had a 17inch powerbook for 1799 MINUS the 25%. Some stores also have 12inch powerbooks for $999, 15inch powerbook for $1599, and g5 2.3ghz PM for $1999 ALLL MINUS the 25% off coupon. If you're looking to get an apple and don't want to pay around $2k this deal is for you

http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBE8UL5AIk3i-ApV3HnADxtMV.AIk3i-Gn/doc.html

http://www.compusa.com/specials/sto...General&cm_ite=generic 120gb&ref=performics#6

SurfinSHELL23

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
Aberdeen, NJ
My CompUSA lists this...

MacBook Pro Notebook, Intel Core Duo Processor, 1.83GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 15.4-inch XGA TFT Display, 4X DVD+/-RW SuperDrive, Mac OS X Tiger v10.4
$1,599.98

It'd be a pretty good option for $1200 if I didn't already have my 2GHz MB. I wouldn't trade this in for a slower processor though.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
SurfinSHELL23 said:
My CompUSA lists this...

MacBook Pro Notebook, Intel Core Duo Processor, 1.83GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 15.4-inch XGA TFT Display, 4X DVD+/-RW SuperDrive, Mac OS X Tiger v10.4
$1,599.98

It'd be a pretty good option for $1200 if I didn't already have my 2GHz MB. I wouldn't trade this in for a slower processor though.
yeah still a crazy deal though right

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
rmhop81 said:
I just got back from my local compusa here in Dallas (frisco store) and picked up a MBP. It's the older model that's been discontinued and that's why it's on clearance.

2.0ghz
1gb ram
100gb hard drive
BT
AP
Superdrive
15.4inch widescreen
256mb video card

pretttty loaded up for the same price as a black macbook. IF you go to the locations tab of compusa find your city and click the link that shows the inventory blowout items at that local store. Mine showed 2 MBP's in stock so I decided I would get one from there. The price online was $1999. I got an email from compusa saying that you can take an additional 25% off of that price for anything that is a clearance of discontinued item.....AMAZING DEAL.....same MBP sells for $1949 on apple's refurb site. For me it was only $1499 plus tax of course. Here's the link to the inventory and the link to the 25% off coupon to use in store with the clearance item......Jump on this as quick as possible if u want a MBP. Just print out that coupon and go into the store that has the item you want. That same store had a 17inch powerbook for 1799 MINUS the 25%. Some stores also have 12inch powerbooks for $999, 15inch powerbook for $1599, and g5 2.3ghz PM for $1999 ALLL MINUS the 25% off coupon. If you're looking to get an apple and don't want to pay around $2k this deal is for you

http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBE8UL5AIk3i-ApV3HnADxtMV.AIk3i-Gn/doc.html

http://www.compusa.com/specials/sto...General&cm_ite=generic 120gb&ref=performics#6

i hate you! lol not really but that is the setup i wanted but it was too expensive and my local store didnt have them in stock

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Steve Jobless said:
i hate you! lol not really but that is the setup i wanted but it was too expensive and my local store didnt have them in stock

haha i know what u mean though. I was actually looking at the amazon deal with the rebate but this deal couldn't be beat!!! This was the only compusa store around dallas that had the MBP's in stock. I managed to get the very last one.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
dpaanlka said:
The MacBook Pro is clearly a more substantial machine.

I don't think anyone has said it isn't....:confused: I mean obviously it's more substantial...that's the point of having different models of computers.

It costs more than the MacBook...it should be better in some way, don't you think?

Guitar geek

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2006
New Jersey
Comp USA

Hey rmhop81, thanks for the info! The coupon link isn't working for me though :( . There's a 2 base MBP's that I might just check out since they only cost $1599. If I could get 25% off that would be great! Otherwise, I think I would just get a new BlackBook. Thanks though!

Edit: If I print this out and bring it, is this basically the same thing? Link

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
i hope you know its only for discontiuned models^ so unless you want a 1.83 ghz mbp you wont be saving any money

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
can you take 25% off anything that is discontinued? I see one of those 2.0 Ghz MBPs (the first kind, with 256 VRAM and 1 GB RAM) at my local compUSA but it is just listed as $1999, doesn't say anything about another 25% off. How do I know if I can get that also?

edit: alas, the store is 41 miles away and i no longer have a car... I sooo want that MBP.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
If you buy a macbook pro or macbook at compusa can you still take it to any apple store to be serviced if there is a problem? Also, can you buy applecare from apple for it as well?

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Is it 25% off of the price shown......has this been reverified.....my local store has 1799 for a 17" G4 PB 1.67. Is it 25% off of that? Is this a good deal?

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
rmhop81 said:

2.0ghz
1gb ram
100gb hard drive
BT
AP
Superdrive
15.4inch widescreen
256mb video card

pretttty loaded up for the same price as a black macbook. IF you go to the locations tab of compusa find your city and click the link that shows the inventory blowout items at that local store. Mine showed 2 MBP's in stock so I decided I would get one from there. The price online was $1999. I got an email from compusa saying that you can take an additional 25% off of that price for anything that is a clearance of discontinued item.....AMAZING DEAL.....same MBP sells for $1949 on apple's refurb site. For me it was only $1499 plus tax of course.

I got the same macbook pro ( 2ghz) deal, but the salesman keep trying to sell me AppleCare. He offered to take another $100 off if I purchase applecare along with it. So my final price $1399.99 + 349.99. Thanks for rmhop81 for the heads up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.