Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeuronBasher

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Catfish_Man said:
Uh, last I heard the X1600 mobility was ATI's best in its category (and very competitive with nVidia's stuff). Is the OP just complaining that it's not a power sucking desktop-replacement 7800/x1800 or something?

That's pretty much what I got out of it, yes. Personally, I'm thrilled with the choice of the X1600. The X1600 is a great choice for the size of the 15" MBP. You're not going to get a 7800/7900/x1800 in a 1" thick machine.

jofarmer

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
what more do you want?

Folks.

I am new to this forum, but let me share my 2cents. I ordered the 1,67GHz MacBook right after it was announced, and was not very shure, if that was the smart thing to do, since I knew little to nothing about hardware and performance. But I am now. Why?

Well, what do I expect from this laptop? The best thing I could dream of was that

a) the CPU and GPU have silent cooling (check)
b) it can work with everything i could dream to throw at it within the next three years at least (lets be honest, anyone who can afford a new mac more often ist quite a lucky bastard) (check?)

The most demanding time-critical task I could imagine nedding my laptop for would be watching 1080p HD H.264 movies on it. Whatever video standarts there are coming, this is top of line. And wow, the macBoook does exactly this. And quite impressing might I say. (check!)

When you remember that Apple stated system requirement like a dual 2GHz G5 for that, you should be impressed with the macBook's performance. I don't think, the slight increase of frontside bus speed compared to the G5 will make up for the less processor speed.

So obviously Apple is using the H.264 hardware decoding capabilities of the ATI GPU. Much rejoicing on my side. What more do you want? I mean seriously, even for gaming, this card has rolls-royce-like "sufficient" power. IF you must buy a mac for gaming.

Just my 2cents.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The two biggest reasons that Apple has not installed a Radeon X800/X1800 mobility card is power consumption and heat. Apple is not in the business of building "desktop replacement" laptops; Apple requires true mobility - small size, low power consumption and cool running - from all its portables.

An X800/X1800 mobility might require active cooling and would certainly kill battery life. PC fanboys sneer about the X1600 but most PC fanboys have to plug their DTR laptop into the wall to run it and can't put it safely on their laps.

Laptops will never have the same performance as desktops, and trying to make them too close will sacrifice the things that make them useful - small size and long battery life.

if Apple puts a better GPU in the (possibly) upcoming 17" MacBook then it will be because they can do it without big losses in mobility.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
"Apple is not in the business of building "desktop replacement" laptops; Apple requires true mobility - small size, low power consumption and cool running - from all its portables."

While they wont say its a desktop replacement, that term has only been used alot within the last two years. Since Apple is normaly behind pcs on product ""naming" I would consider this as a desktop replacement. Maybe the 17in is closer, but give it a few months and that too will be a dual core. Once Apple threw down the gauntlet by saying its up to 4x faster they are now butting it in the same league as the fastest powerbooks.

As far as "Apple requires true mobility - small size, low power consumption and cool running - from all its portables."
Hahahahah!!!!!!!!!!! You havent owned a 12in powerbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.