Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
I have sent a message to the seller asking an exchange of the item and an explanation regarding the serial numbers mismatch. Tomorrow, I'll drop by my local Apple store to check if the battery is genuine or not.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
I just received the following answer from the **** seller:

We purchase direct from factories OEM. They are tested to make sure working ok. They are not registered on the Apple network. Please use the battery and if you find it not performing as it should then it has a 6 month warranty so it can be returned anytime in that period.

@GGJstudios: You were right these batteries are knockoffs :mad:

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
UK
Just to confirm that the printed serial number on the battery SHOULD be the same as the one in the OSX menu!

Always best to pay that little extra for a genuine battery i got court out too and ended paying for a new apple battery + the fake :(

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
Just to confirm that the printed serial number on the battery SHOULD be the same as the one in the OSX menu!

Always best to pay that little extra for a genuine battery i got court out too and ended paying for a new apple battery + the fake :(

Thanks a lot Hammie14 :)

I've just sent him the following message hoping I can get a refund. I believe eBay will protect the buyers :eek: :

The replacement batteries sold by Apple and its registered resellers are brand new and are delivered with ZERO cycles count, and the serial printed in the back of the battery must match the one reported by Apple's System Information application.

If you don't buy them from Apple then they are not Genuine Apple Batteries. You must neither use APPLE's trademarks nor advertise them as GENUINE APPLE BATTERIES!. You are selling KNOCKOFFS batteries at PREMIUM PRICE, and you are liable for counterfeit imports.

I am going to proceed to return the item and request you to refund the money.

Do you think I can reclaim the shipping cost back to the seller?

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
I have been monitoring the battery and I saw that Full Charge Capacity (mAh) is increasing:

Battery Information:
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 4748
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4794
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 5
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 1
Voltage (mV): 12508

The power drawn from the battery printed in the back of the battery I bought is: 50wH (watt per hour).

The watt per hour is calculated according to the following formula:

watt_per_hour = Voltage (V) x Full Charge Capacity (mAh)

In my case: watt_per_hour = 12.508 * 4794 = 59963.352 milliwatt hours ~60 watt-hours

I configured the energy saver for better battery life, and gfxCardStatus to switch to integrated graphic card when disconnected from power source. When the battery is at 95% charged, the estimated time remaining before lasting shows: 2 hours 55 minutes.

According to Late 2008 MBP specs, the battery is expected to last in 5 hours.

Does this mean it is a low/cheap quality battery or will it improve over time?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have been monitoring the battery and I saw that Full Charge Capacity (mAh) is increasing:
It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the Battery FAQ I posted earlier.

When the battery is at 95% charged, the estimated time remaining before lasting shows: 2 hours 55 minutes.
The time remaining is a constantly changing estimate based on the current power demands on your battery. This can change minute to minute. It is only a rough estimate, and not to be trusted for determining actual battery life from a charge. To get a more accurate reading, fully charge your battery, then use it normally on battery power, running the apps you typically use, until your Mac shuts down.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
The time remaining is a constantly changing estimate based on the current power demands on your battery. This can change minute to minute. It is only a rough estimate, and not to be trusted for determining actual battery life from a charge. To get a more accurate reading, fully charge your battery, then use it normally on battery power, running the apps you typically use, until your Mac shuts down.

It lasted in 3 hours. What conclusions can be drawn from this fact?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It lasted in 3 hours. What conclusions can be drawn from this fact?
That would indicate that your normal configuration and workload results in an average of 3 hours battery life from a full charge. Check the FAQ for tips on how to extend that life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.