MacBook Pro battery life?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dollystereo, Jan 10, 2006.

1. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

2. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I tried for a very long time to find the spec on this, it is nowhere to be found on the website...

WTF, is steve hiding something from us? :confused:
    They have loads of info on their cool new magnetic cord, :rolleyes: , but nothing about battery life? wtf. :confused:

3. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Battery life not advertised?!

Yeah, I think Steve might be hiding something....

4. -Escher- macrumors member

Well...2 possibilities:

1- They forgot to mention!:eek:
    2- It's way shorter than the PB....:(

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yeah, i noticed this too. It's not a good sign. In fact, it's a really really bad sign.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Something tells me it won't match my two year old iBook at five hours plus...

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

How can it be a bad sign?
    One of the points that Steve pointed out was the performance/watt statistic. I wouldn't think there is much to worry about.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

then why don't they give a number of hours? They *always* give a number of hours (and it's always a gross overestimation, but if you know that going in, you can figure out what the real battery life must be).

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

The reason it's a bad sign is because if the new 'Book gets better battery life than the old ones, they would have advertised it. If it is about the same, still no harm in advertising it, after all they advertised it for the old ones. The only reason not to advertise the battery life is because it is significantly shorter than previous models.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I assume as soon as your on battery you'll be on single core...

As long as it's not shorter than 4 hours I'll be happy..

11. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Actually I thought the technology handed the workload to the two cores equally thereby reducing the overall workload. But anyway, I am also a bit nervous that they didn't publish an estimate at least.

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

2 cores has to cost, plus brighter screen. Gotta be less.

13. Kelvin macrumors member

Kelvin

For reference, 15" Powerbook G4 has a 50wh battery and lasts up to 5 hours. PPC7447 is rated to consume 14-20w/h (minus power saving features)

The new Macbook pro has a 60wh battery.
    Intel Core Duo (Yonah) is estimated to consume roughly the same (5-22w/h) with better power saving features.

While the CPUs average about the same consumption, the new MBP has a higher clocked system bus (4x!). I'm not certain about Centrino tech (I think it's probably pretty good), but the higher clocked bus will likely burn more power.

I estimate 4.5hours optimal running time for the new MacBook pro. (IANAAE, IANAIE).

14. danny_w macrumors 601

After having been with Intel and AMD (and DOS/Windows) my entire pc life, I bought my first Mac last January, and started learning about them at that time. When I heard about the 5-6 hours of battery life that people were claiming for their iBooks, I was amazed! Most Intel laptops can't manage anywere near that number in real life, no matter what they advertise. So when people on this board started getting excited about the new Intel laptops and battery life, I cautioned everybody that they might actually be worse, and certainly not better. I guess we'll see when people start actually receiving their new MacBooks.

15. xy14 macrumors 6502

xy14

The only thing that mentions battery life is that is varies by use and configuration. I, however, found that the 15" PB has a 50-watt-hour lithium-ion battery, and the mbp has a 60-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery, which, depending on how much power the mbp uses, is a better battery than the comparable pb's.

16. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

that magnet power card is wicked sick

just sucks the cord right in there.. and pops off so it wont be ripped from your hand

awesome

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i think the cores should be sucking less power so im guessing around 4hours of life with the MBP.

Bless

18. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Someone here called Apple CS, and they said 5.5 hours. Not sure if that is for the lower end model though. :eek:

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That's what the battery readout says. And how about turning the screen down a little and maybe turn off Bluetooth (and maybe even AirPort). That should just about double the battery time. Getting very close to the 5.5 hrs Maya has heard... :)

20. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

OUCH!

Keep dreamin. Might get another 30min out of those techniques. Most likely not as I bet the macbook was on default power managment which dims the screen for you and why would bluetooth be turned on a demo machine?

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Battery life is always pessimistic on start up though. I expect we'll see more than three hours with a touch of optimising.

22. -Escher- macrumors member

I'm wondering if the remote control can be sticked into this Express card slot like the ones as a PCMA in PCs...!

3hs of battery life...not bad... I can survive with that...

23. unfaded macrumors 6502

That was versus the G5, not the G4.

24. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

LOL at all the people who said they could've forgot.

At the last update, apple was so proud to annouce the upgraded battery times and such, but this time they just forgot? lol

On my 12inch powerbook, if i have everything on (BT, AP, Full Brightness) i get close to 4 hrs, but if BT is off, and brightness is down to two bars (which is fine for surfing and typing for me) and airport on, i reach close to 5 hours, and with AP also off, get 5.5 hrs...

My PB is only 3 months old tho, so that may be y, so i'm just suggesting that if that dudes macbook said 3:03 which im sure has everything turned to max to impress people, im sure the time is around the same to the current powerbook.