macbook pro (battery)...not ready?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mmapples, Feb 6, 2006.

1. mmapples macrumors member

if apple's excuse for not showing the mbp's battery life at macworld was because they were all preproduction models, then surely they must have some sort of idea by now. the first shipment of macbook pros are supposed to go out tomorrow, and the apple site still says nothing about battery life?

hmm..i don't feel too good about this.

2. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

This is one of the reasons why I'm waiting for Rev B :)
    Maybe a lot of things will be clarified by then.

3. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Yeah, it seems like their battery and power consumption firmware wasn't exactly optimized for January 10th.

However, experts estimate the MacBook Pro will get around the same real world battery life as the PowerBooks - about 4 hours, if you turn down the screen a bit. (The screen is described as being very bright - turning it down a bit wouldn't be a loss at all unless all the lights are off.)

The reason people are reporting terrible real world times in PC Core Duo notebooks are because of a crappy little Microsoft driver that's been screwing around with batteries. Obviously OS X doesn't use the Microsoft driver :D

I don't know if Apple will ever have battery life on the website - they seem to be stubborn about these kinds of things. But don't worry, in about four days people will be all over MacRumors, MacBytes, AppleInsider and ThinkSecret telling everyone about it ;)

Apple wouldn't ship a product such as the MacBook Pro if it were crappy. The Intel Macs, as the first of their kind, are very important- many people will switch to these computers and Apple will probably want those computers to be very good so they get good reviews from switchers.

Even if the MBP got only 3 hours 30 minutes of battery life, which would suck, the MBP would still be an extremely powerful computer with an extremely powerful processor and graphics card.

And you can always cancel your order. :cool:

Edit: I forgot that people who have unplugged MBP's at MWSF have reported 3 hour estimated battery life by the MBP's. These estimations usually suck on any laptop, and this is one where that part of the OS was probably slapped together at the last minute for demonstration purposes.