MacBook Pro battery

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lonepilgrim, Jun 2, 2006.

  1. lonepilgrim macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #1
    I've had my new MBP a couple of days. The first time I used it I went through the whole calibration process. Now, when it's plugged in, the indicator says its fully charged, and that I'm running off AC power, but shows a number of 97%. Where did the other 3% go??

    Can anyone help, and/or recommend a good battery information app? Thanks.
     
  2. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2006
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    #2
    Use it away from the AC adapter for a while, til it dips down around 80% or so...then charge it. see if that helps.
     
  3. lonepilgrim thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #3
    Thanks - I'm quite new to laptops so I'm not entirely sure what is good practice when it comes to charging, keeping them charged, running off AC, etc. I'll see what happens!
     
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #4
    That's normal. To prevent overcharging the battery, the adaptor doesn't start charging again until the capacity dips below 95% or so. I rarely ever see my iBook at 100%. :)
     
  5. sunrobby macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2006
    Location:
    Indonesia
    #5
    This happen to me as well couple days ago. It show a 97% battery charged, while the magsafe light is green. Now, the battery shows that it's 100% charged while the light in magsafe still orange and the battery meter (the lights in the battery, if you look at the battery) is blinking, means it's charging. I've calibrated my battery two weeks ago. Dont know what happen..
     
  6. lonepilgrim thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #6
    I see - makes sense. Thanks.
     
  7. benthewraith macrumors 68040

    benthewraith

    Joined:
    May 27, 2006
    Location:
    Miami, FL
    #7
    It's normal

    Batteries do funky things on laptops, and every person's battery is slightly different. I only see it on 100% when I leave it off the charger and then charge it. On occasion, if I close the lid, it'll drop to 99%, but the magsafe light will still be on. My battery has only been run down once. I'll probably calibrate it next Wednesday or Thursday. :S
     
  8. yellowmunky macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2006
    #8
    How long does the battery last for, in the following situations?

    A: Internet Browsing
    B: Word Processing
    C: Watching a DVD
    D: Doing work using Flash, Photoshop, GarageBand and iMovie
    E: Generally a bit of everything mentioned above

    Thanks,
     

Share This Page