Macbook Pro: Buy or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solafekxela, Aug 26, 2006.

  1. solafekxela macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2005
    #1
    What do you think, should I buy in the next 2 months or wait another 8-10 for leopard and new models?
     
  2. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #2

    I would buy within the next two months, but I guess it depends on how badly you need a new computer. :)
     
  3. pianoman macrumors 68000

    pianoman

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #3
    i would buy now. it doesn't make sense to wait so long for leopard or a faster processor, when you probably won't even notice the difference in processor speed, and if you do, it will be minimal.
     
  4. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

    pianodude123

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2005
    Location:
    in the internet
    #4
    As soon as meroms are released in the notebooks, BUY BUY BUY!!
     
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #5
    Which will hopefully be either this week or the following. :)
     
  6. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    #6
    ### popular wisdom is..buy it when you need it. *I* am probably going to wait until late Spring 07 to buy a MBP. Why? cuz my G4 PB is handling my animation stuff 'ok' and in 2Q 07, I'll know(hopefully) what Autodesk is doing with a UB version of Maya...and we'll have Santa Rosa (800mhz FSB), etc. and Leopard. Regardless...the MBP... with merom will be a very sweet machine...and would be a VERY nice upgrade over my G4 PB. The point of this is...each person's situation is unique.

    Edit: Don't buy now! Just to be clear...wait for merom for sure. Probably waiting no more than 5-14 days. Also...the MB and MBP lines have had a lot of problems. Let the first few weeks of availability come and go...watching for feedback, etc...then bite. The merom chip doesn't require new boards or anything...so there shouldn't be any new kinks added in the process of the upgrade.
     
  7. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

    timswim78

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Location:
    Baltimore, MD
    #7
    With the exception of the MacPro, I would say wait a few weeks before purchasing any Apple computer.
     
  8. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #8
    As you can see, we recommend a holding pattern on any machines running the
    Yonah Core Duo 32 bit processors.

    minis, MacBooks, MacBook Pros and iMacs are all running the first generation
    of Intel Core Duo processors.

    Intel is officially launching "Core Duo 2" next week and Apple is holding their Paris Expo Sept 12th.

    So informed speculation says wait if you can.

    Leopard will be backward compatible to PPC and 32Bit Intel processors, but
    I would hold out for 64 bit Core Duo 2 at the very least.

    It's difficult to give advice without knowing what you plan to do with your system.

    It may be much smarter for you to buy conservative now getting completely
    familiar with OSX and then spend some serious money after the Core Wars
    dust settles a bit. I'm thinking 2008ish

    I'm buying MacBooks now because they are more than enough computer for everything my girls will need for the next 3 years.

    I'm buying refurbs because they are bench tested, pristine and fully warranteed.

    That gives me 2 damn sweet little machines ( and 2 happy daughters :D ) for $2198.00 , with enough left over to buy them 1 Gb of 3rd party RAM and a case.

    Even at the best education prices, they also need software.

    Dad's Tacoma also needs new tires :-(

    The smart buy is the machine that more than handles your needs at a price you can really afford.

    If image is important for presentations, get the 2.0 GHz Blackbook outfitted with
    2 GB RAM, optional DVI to DVI and DVI-VGA cables. iWork with Keynote and MS Office for Mac. $1299.00 refurbished.

    The Macbooks make it easier to upgrade RAM and HD's and the 13" WS display
    is quite sufficient for most tasks and highly portable.

    Unless you need a Pro Audio/Video/Scientific Workstation, the MacBooks are
    " enough computer " without going off the deep end.

    If you need a serious Workstation, buy a Mac Pro and get a MacBook to handle you primary portable needs.

    I'm more conservative than others here about the users true portable needs.
    For some people, the Desktop Replacement MBP Note Book is the only solution.

    To me, notebooks are a necessary convenience, but they are also fragile and you pay a tremendous premium for portability.

    While portability may be necessary, a top of the line note book may not be
    the most practical solution.

    Wait through Paris Expo and see how things look in a few weeks.
     
  9. Alag28 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2006
    #9
    dont!!! ddont buy the first batches of the memrons...just get a lappie now..there really nice.
     
  10. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #10

    How would a first generation Merom powered laptop be worse than a first generation Yonah based laptop? :confused:
     
  11. solafekxela thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2005
    #11
    Thanks

    Thanks for the advice,

    I don't need the MBP until next spring at the latest, but I would definately prefer to have it sooner. Sounds like in about a month, the time will be right.

    Actually, now I'm thinking I might get a Macbook. I'll mostly just need it for basic stuff but will need to do some advanced editing with Final Cut. Any more advice?
     
  12. Alag28 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2006
    #12
    how would buying a 1 week build memron with high tendencies to have kinks and hardware/software errors better than saving a headache on a already awesome machine macbook/macbook pro with excess power to do whatever u want (as a student like me that is that will be using office apps most of the time and internet surfing)

    dats the better question!!
     
  13. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #13
    Firstly, its not Memron. It's Merom and it always has been.

    Secondly, why would a processor like the Merom have kinks? Did the iMac Core Duo have kinks when it debuted with the Yonah? No. Try to do a little research next time. :)
     
  14. Alag28 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2006
    #14
    wth are u talking about? i said high tendencies!! not a fact that it will have problems.? buying any product when it first debuts is always a gamble.

    how bout u tell me why "merom" wont have any problems when i comes out? wha makes u so sure?
     
  15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #15
    I agree about buying now. Either buy now or wait till next year. Probably depends on what you do...if your a low end user then merom wont make a difference to you. If your going to use it for video editing etc then wait
     
  16. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2005
    #16
    I've said it in other threads, and I'm going to say it here. I think the wait for a Merom upgrade is a little weird. Speedwise, real world tests show something like a 5-15% improvement. The 64bit thing is easy to overstate too. All it really means is a few extra registers and a whole lot more addressable RAM. If you're worried about how many registers you have then stick with PowerPC. Addressable RAM is the main thing.

    32 bit processors can only handle a total of 4 GB. Inevitably the system is going to start wanting more than that (in much the same was as people consider 1 GB about the comfortable minimum for running the OS nowadays, when ten years ago people probably would have said 128 MB for similar comfort) and before too long individual apps are going to want more than that. Because of the way virtual memory is handled on modern OSs, it isn't even really possible to pretend there is more RAM. But the current MacBooks are limited to 2 GB total anyway, and that's unlikely to change with a Merom revision.

    My tip is wait for as long as you don't need a new machine, but as suggested above keep your eye on the Apple Refurb Store. I had budgeted to get a MacBook this month or next and was half-waiting to see when a refresh would come. Instead I bought a refurb MacBook Pro just this week (hasn't even been delivered yet). The "old" 2 Ghz machine (i.e. pre-speed bump, same as the current 2 Ghz machine but with 1 GB RAM in a single SO-DIMM, the 100 GB HDD option and 256 MB of VRAM) is currently available at 30% off its original price and less than £100 more than the regular MacBook equipped with the same speed CPU, same size/speed hard disk and amount of RAM (and as two SO-DIMMs in the MacBook, so more expensive to upgrade). It's about £3 less than the equivalent black MacBook.

    I think that the clamour of Apple rumour sites combined with the oxygen of Intel's very public and PR'd road map gives a very warped idea about the sense of purchases. Sudden cut offs in support and usefulness of older Macintoshes are very rare, and if we see one in the next few years it's going to be dropping support for PowerPC. And judging by the 68k timeline, that won't be for half a decade.

    I think it's funny because the people that actually care enough about performance to really be bothered by exactly which side of a particular refresh they are on are probably the same people that are going to ditch the hardware long before it becomes unusable by anybody else's standards anyway.
     
  17. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #17

    As far as I know, Merom is a compatible replacement for existing Yonah hardware- sticking a compatible processor into already reliable hardware does not seek that risky to me. :eek: :)
     
  18. JMies419 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    #18
    Merom may be nice to have over Yonah..just because it is NEWER. But I think the main reason to wait for the merom is to simply see if Apple is going to re-design the MBP case design, fix airport problems, so on and so on. :cool:
     
  19. Alag28 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2006
    #19
    i think im starting to believe the real difference between a yonah and merom is the "peace of mind" that u have something newer.
     
  20. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #20
    ....64bit capabilities, which would come in handy with leopard
     
  21. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    #21
    ### You make interesting points, but for me...doing 3d..merom's performance advantages are pretty significant over yonah (see Anandtech.com). Also, it would be VERY nice to be able to run Leopard next spring in 64bit. Yonah is obviously 32bit. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'm waiting until santa rosa...
    Just to be clear though...the MBs and MBPs coming off the lines now seem to have the most significant issues fixed..and I think it's a very good machine. The current yonah MBP would run circles around my PB G4!
     
  22. Reaver macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2006
    Location:
    Columbus, Ohio
    #22
    I chose to wait till after sept. 5th but will be buying one within the next month. I am going to be using this for work. I would just wait till after sept. 5th if nothing happens with the macbook pros then you have wasted nothing whats another two weeks :cool:
     
  23. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    #23
    ###Sorry...not following your "logic". Merom is, in reality, the revB because the only thing changing is the chip. Yonah is revA..and it is crystal clear these revA machines *had* problems. Those problems were not caused by the Yonah chip itself..make sense? Is it possible the merom chips will explode on boot up? uh yea, i guess...but pretty unlikely. :rolleyes:
     
  24. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

    ZoomZoomZoom

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    #24
    Even if Merom isn't a huge improvement, waiting for it will mean (1) option to pick up the old Yonah for cheaper, or (2) having a higher resale value on the Merom. So performance-wise, while it won't be too significant for a lot of the people waiting (assuming GPU doesn't get upgraded), it's financially sensible to wait a week.

    Yeah, I agree with this. :p If I didn't enjoy gaming, I would probably be able to keep my computers for way longer. But having something bleeding fast and shiny... not healthy for my wallet :(
     
  25. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #25
    Agreed!
     

Share This Page