MacBook Pro Buying Advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by teerexx52, Oct 29, 2006.

  1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

    teerexx52

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    Location:
    Florida West Coast
    #1
    I currently have a 2.16 MacBook Pro Core Duo that I have had for 4 months. I have been watching and reading about the new C2D MacBook Pro. For those of you that may have one or even if you don't is there any compelling reason to switch from my current MacBook Pro to the C2D? Is there less heat or maybe something else I'm missing? Thanks
     
  2. Silentwave macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Location:
    Gainesville, FL
    #2
    what week is your MBP and how hot does it get?

    IMHO you are probably fine and if you are thinking about upgrades, wait until Santa Rosa (next year)
     
  3. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

    teerexx52

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    Location:
    Florida West Coast
    #3
    It is a week 27. Runs between 55-65 degrees C doing normL surfing and email.
     
  4. edwardcheah macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    #4
    When's Santa Rosa?

    What do you think they'll upgrade for the macbookpro then?
     
  5. Silentwave macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Location:
    Gainesville, FL
    #5
    Santa Rosa is the new Centrino platform with (if memory serves) the Crestline chipset, the new CPU socket, 802.11 draft-n standard, and a few other nifty things. the Merom Core 2 Duo will be bumped to the new socket and an 800MT/s FSB. A new almost revolutionary feature will be the Robson Flash caching.

    it'll be out around April 2007.

    For the lower end uses, it will also have GMA X3000 (for say the macbook)
     
  6. #6
    If it meets your needs for now, and runs fine and all, just keep it till santa rosa comes out. Its too much of a loss to sell it only 4 months later without a good reason. Yes, apparently the mermon are cooler running and all, but stick with it till the even better upgrades come out in april 2007 along with wirless n, in mac os x (probably) and other possiblities. :D
     
  7. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

    teerexx52

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    Location:
    Florida West Coast
    #7
    Sounds like very good advice. Thanks
     
  8. Willis macrumors 68020

    Willis

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Location:
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    #8
    I was thinking of getting a MB when SR comes out, but those MBP's are such good value, Im getting a MBP instead in the coming weeks. Just need to wait for my credit card :D

    Then the iMac G5 will be sold
     
  9. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #9
    I think you should wait for santa rosa as well, by then you'll also get Lepeard at no extra cost. As for timing, I think apple will need a few months to implement santa rosa after its official release.
     
  10. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

    teerexx52

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    Location:
    Florida West Coast
    #10
    I have decided to take the advice and wait. I was particularly surprised at the drop in prices of the current core duo macbooks. I paid $2499 + tax for mine and I think you can get a refurb for $1599. I understand even the stores are lowering prices on remaining stock. I can't say i ever remember that happening. Either way I would not get a fair value for mine if I sold it.
     
  11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #11
    Don't bother trading in your MacBook Pro. The jump from CD to C2D is not worth it for the loss you'd take. However, Santa Rosa is worth it if you're in a financial position to do so.
     

Share This Page