Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dex22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro. I have a couple of different considerations than many people, so I thought I'd float them here...

Firstly, I can either not pay sales tax, or claim it back, as a TX filmmaker.

Second, I don't have anything against used or refurbished machines, as long as they work perfectly.

I'm needing a Superdrive, and will want to run FCP on it, for high definition editing.

It'll also be my general web/mail/Adium machine as I retire my iBook and PowerMac.

Where do you think I'd get the best deal given these needs and my tax exemption?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro. I have a couple of different considerations than many people, so I thought I'd float them here...

Firstly, I can either not pay sales tax, or claim it back, as a TX filmmaker.

Second, I don't have anything against used or refurbished machines, as long as they work perfectly.

I'm needing a Superdrive, and will want to run FCP on it, for high definition editing.

It'll also be my general web/mail/Adium machine as I retire my iBook and PowerMac.

Where do you think I'd get the best deal given these needs and my tax exemption?

-dex22

The Apple Store, because all of the support that will come with it. You may sae a tiny bit if you buy from a discounter (and it would be tiny - if at all) but support wouldn't be there. Not like Apple.

dex22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
I've been following the Apple Refurb Store but haven't seen any 15" C2D macbooks yet - still waiting for a batch of those to show up. That's the lowest resolution screen I could use for video editing... I mean, I could use a MacBook and plug in my Dell 2005FPW but I worry about the low end graphics card - all my video is high def...

I'm hoping to get on the "new gear" bandwaggon of replacing my laptop every 9-12 months by investing $200-300 each time, instead of having to drop $1500 every 4 years or so. Costs less and you always have newer equipment.

mojitochica

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2007
USA
I've been following the Apple Refurb Store but haven't seen any 15" C2D macbooks yet - still waiting for a batch of those to show up. That's the lowest resolution screen I could use for video editing... I mean, I could use a MacBook and plug in my Dell 2005FPW but I worry about the low end graphics card - all my video is high def...

I'm hoping to get on the "new gear" bandwaggon of replacing my laptop every 9-12 months by investing $200-300 each time, instead of having to drop $1500 every 4 years or so. Costs less and you always have newer equipment.

You have to look early in the morning on weekdays for C2D; they are usually gone before noon eastern standard time. Try on Monday; maybe Tuesday since Monday is a holiday. Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.