MacBook Pro buying options...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dex22, Feb 16, 2007.

1. dex22 macrumors regular

I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro. I have a couple of different considerations than many people, so I thought I'd float them here...

Firstly, I can either not pay sales tax, or claim it back, as a TX filmmaker.

Second, I don't have anything against used or refurbished machines, as long as they work perfectly.

I'm needing a Superdrive, and will want to run FCP on it, for high definition editing.

It'll also be my general web/mail/Adium machine as I retire my iBook and PowerMac.

Where do you think I'd get the best deal given these needs and my tax exemption?

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-dex22

The Apple Store, because all of the support that will come with it. You may sae a tiny bit if you buy from a discounter (and it would be tiny - if at all) but support wouldn't be there. Not like Apple.

3. dex22 thread starter macrumors regular

I've been following the Apple Refurb Store but haven't seen any 15" C2D macbooks yet - still waiting for a batch of those to show up. That's the lowest resolution screen I could use for video editing... I mean, I could use a MacBook and plug in my Dell 2005FPW but I worry about the low end graphics card - all my video is high def...

I'm hoping to get on the "new gear" bandwaggon of replacing my laptop every 9-12 months by investing $200-300 each time, instead of having to drop $1500 every 4 years or so. Costs less and you always have newer equipment.

4. mojitochica macrumors member

You have to look early in the morning on weekdays for C2D; they are usually gone before noon eastern standard time. Try on Monday; maybe Tuesday since Monday is a holiday. Good luck :)