MacBook Pro case replacement?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by physicsdude1, Nov 21, 2006.

1. physicsdude1 macrumors member

Hi All,

I have some scratches in my 15" MacBook Pro case all along the front side (e.g. around the power light, the lid latch, and the DVD drive opening) on the lower half of the case. It doesn't affect the running of the machine at all, but I just don't like seeing them or knowing they are there -- they are ugly and rough. I'd like to get it fixed, but I have a few questions:

1) If I get the bottom half of the case replaced with a new one, will that void my AppleCare? I really hope not because there is nothing wrong with my computer, the change is just cosmetic and it's just the case, not a working part -- but you never know what Apple might say.

2) If yes on 1), how will Apple know? Is there a serial number or something on the case on the inside that they can check?

3) Irregardless of 1) and 2), can anyone recommend a place for me to get this work done? There's a store near me, but it gets really bad reviews. Is there a mail-away service that people have had good experiences with?

Thanks!

2. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Basically if you open your laptop yourself, you void your warranty. There is a sticker with the specs of your specific computer on the underside under where the battery goes. I'm not sure of any companies that will replace this for you. Maybe if you went to an Apple Authrorized center, they could possibly replace it without voiding the warranty, but I'm not positive on that.

But hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;) :p

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Suck it up, or be willing to fork out over $250 for the lower case parts alone if you DIY.

Double that number if you are replacing the upper half of the lower case.

Not cheap, never has been.