Macbook Pro CD vs C2D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Matt Obscure, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Matt Obscure macrumors newbie

I'm a complete newb here, and I tried to read through the forum to see if this had been answered already.

I'm looking to switch from PC to Mac, and I'm thinking I have to go with an MBP simply because it'll be a desktop replacement and I don't think I can live with the smaller Macbook screen. So here goes...

Should I spend the extra 200 bucks to get the c2d new (student discount) vs. the cd refurb? Both are the 2.16 Ghz processor.

I'm going to be using it for normal web browsing and school use, as well as a lot of music/audio editing and production, possibly video in the future. Probably not a lot of gaming, but I don't want to rule it out completely.

I'm hoping to have a computer that will last me for the next 4-5 years.

I'm currently without a desk, so heat is a factor as well.

Is the upgrade worth $200 for what I'm looking for?

Thanks for your responses and sorry if this has already been asked.

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if you're going to want it for the next 4-5 years i suggest you buy new. not that the CDs are going to be obsolete in 5 years, but the C2Ds will be less obsolete. plus with the 64-bit architecture on the C2Ds and 64-bit becoming the way of the future, you might as well get the most future-proof machine you can at this point.

3. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Like Snoopy said, go for the C2D if you are looking to get 4-5 years out of it. Who knows if something cool is going to come down the road in 3 years that requires a 64 bit processor...

Are there any C2D refurbs available yet? I am a fan of refurbs after my current PB which is fantastic.

4. Matt Obscure thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't seen any c2d refurbs yet, but if I do, I'll jump on it in a heartbeat. They must still have a ton of the CD's left in the pipe.

5. Boxer macrumors regular

I say C2D also. Its a no bainer. If you have the extra $200 to drop. They may come out with an app that requires it.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Won't you end up with a larger internal HD with the C2D?

7. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

C2D simply for the longevity. if you wanted to replace in 2 or 3 years then save the cash, but like everyone has said, the C2D will be more future proof and will be better 5 years from now!

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

9. Matt Obscure thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the help everyone! I'm sure I'll be back in a week with unboxing photos and tons of annoying OS X questions. :D Thanks again!