Macbook Pro CD vs imac C2D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim2006, Mar 5, 2007.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2006
    I was considering selling my MBP for a new iMac. The reason is I don't really need the portability any more and the imac (20inch) has a bigger screen. The alternative is to get an external display for the MBP and keep it
  2. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Sep 24, 2006
    What are the specs of the MBP and the iMac in question. If you don't need the portability like you said you could probably get a much faster machine in the iMac. But if you still want that portability factor then you could keep the MBP with an external.
  3. djpl macrumors member

Mar 5, 2007
    I have a 15" MBP and 20-inch Cinema Display with bluetooth keyboard and mouse. For me it's the perfect solution because when I'm home it works and feels like a desktop, yet I can still take my computer with me when I need to. I'd say pick up a display and keep your machine.
  4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

Sep 10, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    Although I have a C2D iMac and a CD MacBook, I am of the opinion that if you are only going to have *one* Mac, then it should be a MacBook Pro plus an external display, because that gets you close to desktop power while still having mobility.
  5. Dawei macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    As I await for my MBP, before I ordered my MBP I also thought about either getting iMac or else the same scenario here with the MBP and a external display. From the spec on the Apple page, which I check everyday :p the MBP and the iMac has pretty much the same spec. Besides the iMac having a larger hard drive stock they are pretty much identical in spec. They both have a intel c2d 2.16/2.33, both have ATI X1600 video. I am though comparing the 20" iMac and the combination of the 15" so it might be a little skewed in comparison.