Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
With lion, there's this new "feature".

Macbook auto turns on internal display when lid opens when already connected to external display and powered on.

If anyone know how to turn this off, help me.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I just figured out, if you leave the macbook pro open 1.5 inches open, internal display shuts off without going to sleep. If i try to open it further, display turns back on.

Maybe i need a magnet...

arrannorth

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Dittoooo!

I just figured out, if you leave the macbook pro open 1.5 inches open, internal display shuts off without going to sleep. If i try to open it further, display turns back on.

Maybe i need a magnet...

Having exactly the same problem - however my MBP is over heating when it's like partially closed - I use quite intensive applications (Freelance Designer etc)... complete pain in the bum!

I'm going to do some serious digging.

If you find a solution that works do post it up, I'll do the same.

:)

db1408

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
You could always dim your display to zero whilst a fix appears. When using my 17inch, the resolution is greater than my 1080p monitor, pointless have the screen illuminated if the ratio is changed making it impractical and dumb looking.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Why do you guys care whether or not the display on your MacBook is on? also, I run in clamshell mode all the time and have no heat issues. It was my understanding that it doesn't run any hotter closed as opposed to open. Have you guys actually had it overheat on you, or are just worried about it?

db1408

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
Why do you guys care whether or not the display on your MacBook is on? also, I run in clamshell mode all the time and have no heat issues. It was my understanding that it doesn't run any hotter closed as opposed to open. Have you guys actually had it overheat on you, or are just worried about it?

I like to have my lid open for the 17 inch speakers, I don't have external speakers so the lid shut muffles the sound. Only reason.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Another thing there is no minute (Opt+Shft) volume/brightness adjustment like in SL.

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Sleep the Macbook Pro. Then plug in the display. Then using an external keyboard or mouse if you have it, press any key and the MBP will output only to the external display. Tried it.

db1408

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
Sleep the Macbook Pro. Then plug in the display. Then using an external keyboard or mouse if you have it, press any key and the MBP will output only to the external display. Tried it.

That is the same as on SnowLeopard. I haven't linked up my display yet so never tried it, just went off what was said above.

Lesson learned.

dsorin

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
No luck

Tried that... unplugged the Display, slept the MBP (screen open), plugged IN the Display, hit the mouse. Both came on. :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.