Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
Hello..I've seen variations on this question here, but only before the core 2 duo upgrade...of course I'm itching to get a macbook pro 17" now, but if there will be any reason to wait until after macworld expo, I suppose I'll hold out...some say no significant change, others say wait...I'd even be willing to wait longer--a few months--if there was a good reason to. Even if they do make announcements at the expo, how long before they're seen at the Apple Store Online? Any thoughts?

Also, been seeing "promo code" discussion and wanted to know how to maybe apply it to my new purchase---where do I get one?

Best,

R

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Hello..I've seen variations on this question here, but only before the core 2 duo upgrade...of course I'm itching to get a macbook pro 17" now, but if there will be any reason to wait until after macworld expo, I suppose I'll hold out...some say no significant change, others say wait...I'd even be willing to wait longer--a few months--if there was a good reason to. Even if they do make announcements at the expo, how long before they're seen at the Apple Store Online? Any thoughts?

Also, been seeing "promo code" discussion and wanted to know how to maybe apply it to my new purchase---where do I get one?

Best,

R

if you want to wait a few months.. you'll see one of more of the following
Leopard pre-installed
iLife 07' pre-installed
santa rosa chipset
speed bump

but how long is a few months, i don't know.. when will these come out, i dont know

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I personally dont expect a MBP revision till santa rosa which is at least 7 months away. So waiting till the expo, the way i see it, only gets you iLife 07....Leopard if you're lucky.

Then again i could be completely wrong. Bottom line buy a machine when you need it.

rdbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2006
thank you, and excuse my ignorance, what's the santa rosa chipset? and when we talk about speed bump, if you had to guess, would it be small or large? best,

R

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Santa Rosa platform
The code-name Santa Rosa refers to the fourth-generation Centrino platform, scheduled for release in April 2007 with the following features:[1]
second generation Intel Core 2 processor (code named Merom) that uses Socket P
800 MT/s front side bus with Dynamic Front Side Bus Switching to save power during low utilization
Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset (code named Crestline) with Intel's GMA X3000 graphics technology
Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n mini-PCIe Wi-Fi adapter (code named Kedron)
NAND flash-memory caching (code-named Robson)
WWAN Internet access via HSDPA codeveloped with Nokia (code-named Windigo) [1][2]
EFI, a successor to BIOS
scheduled for later, not anymore for Santa Rosa WiMAX [3]
Intel Dynamic Acceleration (IDA), better Windows Vista Aero support [4]
The Santa Rosa platform will be branded as "Centrino Pro".[5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino#Santa_Rosa_platform

a revision is a ... hardware update/upgrade

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.