Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 17" now or Wait for Expo???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rdbot, Dec 11, 2006.

1. rdbot macrumors newbie

Hello..I've seen variations on this question here, but only before the core 2 duo upgrade...of course I'm itching to get a macbook pro 17" now, but if there will be any reason to wait until after macworld expo, I suppose I'll hold out...some say no significant change, others say wait...I'd even be willing to wait longer--a few months--if there was a good reason to. Even if they do make announcements at the expo, how long before they're seen at the Apple Store Online? Any thoughts?

Also, been seeing "promo code" discussion and wanted to know how to maybe apply it to my new purchase---where do I get one?

Best,

R

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

if you want to wait a few months.. you'll see one of more of the following
    Leopard pre-installed
    iLife 07' pre-installed
    santa rosa chipset
    speed bump

but how long is a few months, i don't know.. when will these come out, i dont know

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I personally dont expect a MBP revision till santa rosa which is at least 7 months away. So waiting till the expo, the way i see it, only gets you iLife 07....Leopard if you're lucky.

Then again i could be completely wrong. Bottom line buy a machine when you need it.

4. rdbot thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, and excuse my ignorance, what's the santa rosa chipset? and when we talk about speed bump, if you had to guess, would it be small or large? best,

R

5. rdbot thread starter macrumors newbie

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino#Santa_Rosa_platform

a revision is a ... hardware update/upgrade