MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo Performance

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 26, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Benchmarks
    Link: MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo Performance
    Description:: A performance comparison between the new MacBook Pro (with a Core 2 Duo processor) and the old MacBook Pro (with a Core Duo processor). Also compares the performance between 32-bit and 64-bit performance on the new MacBook Pro.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Hooray! Benchmarks! Just what I wanted to see.

3. macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

"Moving from the Core Duo to the Core 2 Duo means 32-bit MacBook Pro performance is up 10% without an increase in processor clock speed. That’s impressive"

I don't get what all the Core 2 (mobile) hype is about. 10% is the speed increase you gain from doubling the cache... Which the Core 2 Duo did (4 MB vs 2 MB)... And don't say 64-bit.

4. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

I'm with you-- I couldn't understand all the moaning from people wanting Merom. It's just not that big of a deal. Granted, it looks like there are certain operations that give you more than 10%, so some folks will be pretty happy.

Anybody out there understand why Core2 choked on a couple of these? Stdlib allocation jumps out as a major bummer...

[edit: oh, and note to benchmarkers-- if you're trying to show the advantage of B over A, normalize to A, not C...]

5. macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Hmmm, these benchmarks are making me feel a bit better about getting the Mini with Core Duo sooner rather than later.

6. macrumors P6

twoodcc

nice benchmarks. about what i thought the difference would be

7. macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

wow. i was really expecting a much bigger increase in performance. oh well... does it get way better battery life? if not, i may have to try and grab an "old" mbp.

8. macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Yes, but look at the 64-bit performance! In may cases it's leaps and bounds ahead of the 32-bit Core Duo. Once Leopard is released, more of its potential will be realized.

9. macrumors 65816

I dunno what the author was talking about, 10% speed improvement is NOT "impressive" imo. It's hardly a double digit bump, if not a single digit bump if it had a % of error margin.

As for the 64 vs 32 bit, why da Hell would u cross compare a C2D running 64bit to a C1D running 32bit? It makes no sense to me. I can't think of any real works situations like that. Wouldn't comparing a C2D to a C1D on either 32 then 64bit make more sense? o_O

Anyways, 10% is rather not "impressive." In a non-scientific way, if the encoding of video took took 5 mins on a C1D, the C2D would only save u 30 seconds.

10. macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

A Core Duo is a 32-bit chip. It can't run 64-bit code, plain and simple. It won't be able to take advantage of 64-bit optimizations in Leopard.

Regarding the 30 second savings for that benchmark, 30 seconds for several files can yield a decent saving in time.

11. macrumors 65816

I see, gotcha. If that's the case, will it mean that the C2D will run much better than the C1D w/ Leopard?

12. macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Depending on how much Apple optimizes it, it's certainly possible.