MacBook Pro crashing a lot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by braddicted2mac, Feb 3, 2013.

1. macrumors member

braddicted2mac

For a while I wasn't using my macbook pro. I started using it again in november and noticed that it crashes a lot now which it never did before.
    I figured it was a HD issue because there was errors on the hard drive with files when I started backing everything up, ie movies, music and photos.

I replaced the HD with a Samsung 840 SSd and upgraded the ram to 8gb

Before the upgrade I noticed it happened every time I put the lid down and then opened on another occasion. but now even after the upgrade I'll use it randomly and it will crash. Ive tried re-installing mountain lion but still crashes.

I did a fresh install on SSD of Snow leopard and upgraded to mountain lion from there

Any suggestions?

2. macrumors newbie

If it happenes agaib post the log here.

Right now try install ONYX and do some maintenance.

3. macrumors 603

thekev

Memtest the ram. I always do that right after upgrading it. Bad sticks come up often enough. It's part of the price we pay for the low cost of memory. I don't think it's always well tested prior to shipping. It can also cause the problems you've mentioned. Other common causes are firmware or driver problems, and a bad logic board. This is the kind of thing you want to track down. @UnwiredTech, running onyx isn't going to do anything. It's essentially a garbage collection app. Some of those optimizations stopped being relevant after 10.3 Jaguar.

4. thread starter macrumors member

braddicted2mac

trying the memtest now.... How would I go about testing for firmware or driver issues? not sure how to do that on the OSX?

5. macrumors 603

thekev

I should have explained that better. I've had stability problems with peripheral devices before. This can include external hard drives, third party mice, etc. I had problems with Razer a while back. I'm not a gamer. I bought one because they made a left handed mouse, which isn't very common. If you're experiencing these problems when peripheral devices haven't been plugged in since the last reboot, they aren't the problem. Ideally you'd want to run memtest in single user mode for 5 or more cycles. I typically set it up to run overnight. Sometimes file system problems can cause the system to freeze up too, but it usually doesn't remain that way. It's more common if your boot drive is extremely full. You can get the spinning wheel when it's waiting on the drive. That is still an OSX problem as the file system used has a very poor directory system. This is something they should have fixed many years ago.:mad:

6. thread starter macrumors member

braddicted2mac

ok yes I'll check the peripherals. I just purchased a apple keyboard and trackpad. Also im using a vga out put maybe i'll go to the website see if I can update the drivers for the device. running a memtest 2 right now. the laptop is at work so I will check it in the morning. Is there some kind of reset? for when you get new ram installed?

7. macrumors 603

thekev

I wouldn't suspect the Apple stuff. I've never seen conflicts with their own peripheral devices. That would probably result in very bad PR:p. If you're worried about those, check on the Apple Store site. The reviews would mention them. I'm a little doubtful on the VGA thing too. I've never seen a display out crash something. My bet is on ram that needs to be RMA'd or an external hard drive. Those are very common causes of crashes. The good thing is that the most common causes are cheap to fix.

8. thread starter macrumors member

braddicted2mac

Memtest passed I only did memtest 2 as per the website suggestion do you think I should do a memtest 5?

also I did have an extrernal HD plugged in I have since removed it going to try to leave it out for a few days see how the system runs

----------

Thanks for the help btw !

9. macrumors 603

thekev

I'd try that. Is it set to do auto backups at a system level or in any individual program? Sometimes those can cause periods of unresponsiveness if they overtax a specific piece of hardware. I did a quick search and I can't find any stability related issues with the Samsung 840. I wanted to be sure there wasn't any kind of firmware problem there. These things are typically hardware related, like bad ram can cause hard drive errors. You did test it in single user mode right? That's way it can test as much of the sticks as possible. Also what I meant to ask before was are you getting endless spinning wheels or this? Hard drive problems commonly give you a spinning wheel. It's usually something else if you get the kernel panic screen. Some of the guys in the programming section of this site are better at reading kernel panic logs than myself, if that happens to be the case. The logs can be found in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports if you are getting that screen. Xbits has more information on them.

You're welcome. I just hope it's not a logic board problem.

10. thread starter macrumors member

braddicted2mac

11. macrumors 603

thekev

That is really to be expected. I'm also terrible at analyzing these things, but they do provide information. The only area where I'm reasonably certain is that you have a hardware related problem. If it doesn't get any responses here, you could try the programming section of the site or something of that sort. I'm not sure where to post troubleshooting. The idevices have troubleshooting sections, yet that isn't the case with Macs.

12. macrumors newbie

in the backtrace:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
    com.apple.NVDAResman

and a variety of graphics kexts/drivers appear as well.

does this not suggest NVidia graphics?

13. macrumors 65816

duervo

Either wait for 10.8.3 which might fix it (fingers crossed), or try updating your graphics drivers with this:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html

Some people have suggested that disabling graphics switching solves that crash, but reports seem to be mixed on the accuracy of that claim.

I would try the updated nVidia driver, if it were me.

14. thread starter macrumors member

braddicted2mac

thanks I will try the update driver.. Mac been running smoothly lately only one or two crashes a day. Usually right when I use my mac for the first time in the morning. But nothing this morning. thanks for the help

15. thread starter macrumors member

braddicted2mac

I notice a lot when I just shut my my mac down while still running and when I open it back up it usually crashes

any sugguestions

16. macrumors 65816

duervo

Did you ever try using the system without your external Western Digital drive attached to it? It's possible that the drive could be causing issues when the system goes into or comes out of sleep mode.

You said you'd unplug it it for a few days to see if it stabilized, but I don't notice any mention about it since then.