Macbook pro defective after 5 days....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freeny, Sep 21, 2006.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

New macbook pro, 5 days old. went to pop in a disk and it jams. its perhaps only the 4th or 5th disk ive put in it. tried to eject with no success. rebooted and....

White screen..... endless white screen......

Just got off the phone with apple and now im waiting for an email from someone who is going to help me get a new one delivered.

17 years on macs and this is my first major problem.

Im shockingly calm about it....

2. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Yeah, sometimes $##t happens. I've been on Mac since 1988. The dual-proc G5 I bought last year came with a malfunction Sony superdrive. They replaced it with a Pioneer drive and all has been good (*knock on wood*).

3. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

It's better 5 days in rather than 5 days after the warranty expires. ;)

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, what do you expect if you use 4 or 5 CDs in as many days? You're really pushing the envelope. No wonder it broke down.

5. thestaton macrumors 6502

haha just hope its not the disc with photoshop / final cut on it :)

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Weird, that *exact* thing happened to my partner with his 15" G4 PB last night. Put a CD in, it wouldn't read it or eject, so he rebooted. Stupid PowerBook kept trying to boot off of the fubar'd CD (staying on the endless white screen).

Finally got it to eject by turning it back off again. Then we turned it back on and kept the trackpad mouse button pressed down (clicked) for like 45 seconds (seems like forever). It spit the CD out and booted up fine.

7. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

They walked me thruough the same steps except with mine the white screen kept giving me the finger.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Ugh, sorry to hear.

Hope they take care of you!!! Apple Care's always impressed me the few times I've used it...

9. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

That happened to me once, the trick is to get a firm card and put it in the slot and stop the disc spinning, eventually the drive will spit it out. Mine's worked like a champ since

10. PDE macrumors 68020

Don't know which is better: that they are defective right out of the box or after five days. It sounds ridiculous, but I've returned one macbooks and had two replaced with new ones by Apple and the latest replacement has a defective display and needs to be repaired. That's a lot of macbooks in just a few months. Before that I battled with MBPs but never managed to get one that was without defect - perfect is a word I've stopped using altogether in the same sentence as Apple. I've been trying to get a good apple portable since May without success! It's so tragic what has become of Apple.

Makes me just want to sell the macbook when it gets back from repair and get by with something much older until Apple sorts out its QC issues. I feel like a fool getting new computers all the time.

Good luck with your replacement.

11. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Join the club.:eek:

12. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Your a frikin' genious and someone should give you the key to the city!
    Got my disc out! Bad news is this happens with every dvd i put in:mad:

Still needs to go back....

13. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

No problem :) Sorry to hear yours is definitely broken, but at least you got your disc out!