Macbook Pro Display Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChickenSwartz, Oct 15, 2006.

1. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

So I bought my MBP yesterday. I noticed that after it slept for a while it would come back on and the screen would be flickery, but went away after a while and only happened on the blue background. No big deal I guess.

I woke up this morning and now there are vertical lines down the screen. They are barely noticable on gray/whit bbackgrounds but on blue/green you can see them fairly noticable.

Is this something I can fix?
    What should I do?

You can barely see them in the picture, but they are more noticable in real life.

Attached Files:

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

How did you take that picture?

3. ChickenSwartz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Command+shift+3

Than cropping to get within the MAcRumors size limit.

4. ChickenSwartz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update:

As I just switched from Windows, the first thing I did was restart, actually turned it off during breakfast. When I turned it back on they were almost all gone. It got kind of chilly in my house last night, maybe it needed to warm up.

Anyway, sorry, ignore my freak out.

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

First of all: the lines cannot be seen if you take a screendump, since it's the display that's most likely the problem (or some cable).
    Second: call AC.

6. ChickenSwartz thread starter macrumors 6502a

They are gone now. If they come back I will take a photo then go from there.

7. gerardrj macrumors regular

Apple is aware of this issue and has a fix. Basically, reset your nvram through the EFI interface.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304032

8. BrassMonkey macrumors newbie

How To Fix Vertical Gray Lines on new MBP

I have been struggling and racing anyone's brain who knows anything about Macs concerning vertical gray lines that appear on my new MBP. I think I found the solution and it wont mess up your MBP if you do it. You need to reset your PRAM. In order to do so you should first write down these instructions. first: shut down your MBP. Second: turn on again. Third: IMMEDIATELY after turning back on hold down "command" "option" "P" and "R" keys AT THE SAME TIME. Fourth: Hold down all 4 keys and keep holding down keys until you hear A SECOND BEEP. One that happens, your MBP will start up and bring you to your regular desktop everyday looking start. Fifth: once it looks like your regular desktop after turning on, click on the apple in left-hand corner (Apple Menu). Sixth: click "System Preferences". Seventh: click the "startup disk" icon in menu that come up. Eighth: make sure you click the icon that says Mac OS X. Ninth: after selecting Mac OS X icon click the "restart" button in box. If you like you can lock the setting to make sure your MBP will always go with the right startup disk. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR MAC username and password as you will need to enter both in order to remove the lock. to lock on the Mac OS X icon simply click the apple in top left-hand corner (Apple Menu) then click "system preferences" then click the Mac OS X icon (it should be highlighted) and at the bottom of that window should be a lock that you simply click and then click the "restart" button on same window. This procedure MAY change some settings but In my experience, nothing has changed as to my knowledge. BUT I MUST WARN THAT THIS MAY CHANGE SETTINGS AND/OR PREFERENCES, but can all be re-set by you back to your personal preference.

MOST IMPORTANT: the most important thing is to hold down keys until you hear second beep AND more importantly, you have to select the Mac OS X icon through the Apple Menu. Simply shutting down and turning on holding keys DOES NOT FIX PROBLEM..... ALL STEPS MUST BE FULLY COMPLETED except for the locking option.

9. justmegaga macrumors newbie

My new MBP has same problem, too.

It was perfect but two days later... when I turned on my MBP in the morning... STRIPES! It looked like there were many tiny spot lights at the bottom of the screen, lightening up. However, it disappeared when I took it to the Apple Store... And later I found out, it probably disappeared after the computer got warmed up.

I also found a lot of posts and threads online regarding to this issue. It seems that even Apple is not able to fix the problem. Some people can fix it temporarily by put the screen to sleep (ctrl+shift+eject) and wake it again. It works on my MBP. Still, it is only a temporary fix. It will come up again time to time. SAD...

10. BrassMonkey macrumors newbie

MBP vertical grey ghost lines Problem Solved!!

Basically the only way to permanently fix the vertical grey line problem on MPB is to replace the display. Which is roughly a $600 part. And the service center I sent mine into charges $90/hr for working on your MBP. Luckily and thank god, I got the apple protection plan when i bought my MBP and that covers all of the costs so I got a new display for free and no labor costs. The only thing I lost was my MBP for a week and a half. The primary reason was that the tech people could not see the problem. this is a common occurrence from what i gather from previous posts: when you take it in to the mac store the problem doesn't show up. the reason for this is probably for this single reason... The MBP display responds to ambient lighting as i am sure you are well aware of, thus if being used in well lit areas (i.e. service people are shining bright lights around it, the problem doest occur. if the ambient lighting is dimmed to similar lighting conditions you consistently experience the problem then you should have no problem showing the tech people at the mac store or telling the tech people at the service center how to see it when they try and tell you they cant see what your describing. I hope everyone has apple protection that hasn't expired, you only have coverage for exactly one year starting from your original purchase date. Hopefully this helped and if you have apple protection plan GET IT IN NOW! I dont know if they would be able to make it cheaper to replace if you dont have apple protection plan but i doubt it since the display, like macs in general are all manufactured by apple using their stuff, not like a PC where different companies manufacture different components and then are assembled for a final PC product. Good luck!

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This bit is not true. Apple uses standard LG and Samsung displays which are readily available for abt $250. Svc is $80-$100 an hour or some folks do it themselves.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you go get a new panel, you mind as well get a non-TN panel while you're at it.

13. MBPDiva macrumors regular

I've seen those vertical grey lines on my MBP display twice since I bought it in October. I don't know what causes it. The solution is to close your MBP and let it go to sleep for about 10 to 15 minutes (don't shut it down). When you open it the grey lines will be gone. :)

14. naid macrumors regular

A reboot should fix that, until Apple releases a permanent fix.

15. atljett macrumors newbie

Display Issue

Im new to the Mac world. I just purchased an 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 with the 2.66 processor. I use my 42" Vizio as the monitor with a DVI to VGA adaptor. The problem is that the vertical hold is jacked up the screen just keeps rolling up non-stop. Is this an issue with the video card or something else, and if it is the video card could someone recommend one?

16. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

So why did you reopen a 5 year old Mac Laptop thread again?

Try the Mac Pro forum. Oh and don't use a TV as your monitor.