macbook pro display replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buzby36, Mar 3, 2007.

1. buzby36 macrumors newbie

:confused: :(

i broke my new macbook pro display. can someone recommend how i can have it replaced? it's cracked and totally busted, so i need to replace the whole half of the clamshell.

any advice would be much appreciated.. very sad... thanks,
    ~adam

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Sorry to tell you, but Apple aren't going to touch it. If you really want it fixed, have a look at iFixit.

3. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

couldn't he send it to some sort of apple repair shop?

if not i guess you may be forced to use an external monitor, which sucks because then your laptop will no longer be portable

4. buzby36 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i called apple... the guy said i can take it to an apple store and they'll send it out... but, it's the most expensive component to the mbp. he's estimating about $700-$1000. bleh.

bad day... :(

5. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

so it won't be covered under waranty?

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Apple don't cover accidental damage.

7. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Not if he broke it. Apple won't fix it if it was damaged accidentally or other "acts of God".

8. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

ya i read that once in their waranty info :p
    couldn't you call anything an act of god?

9. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

I dropped my DS on m macbook pro there now, a nice dent in the casing. :mad:

Aircraft Grade aluminium my Ar$e!!

10. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

aluminium is a soft metal

11. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Aircraft grade, makes it sound so strong though!

I'll get over it soon enough, but i just want to stick my finger behind the screen and push out the tiny dent.:D

12. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Saying its aircraft grade also doesn't account for how thick(or thin) the metal is.

13. ventro macrumors 6502a

Aircraft hulls are designed to smush up in a crash to absorb the forces of impact so that everybodys necks dont' snap.

14. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

um aircraft "hulls":p

usually airplanes aren't designed that much for a crash, they're only really designed for th kinds of forces that they normally encounter.

15. Faye macrumors member

Seen this thread? I broke my display too... and replaced it, with a full HD res panel. Very happy with the results, and thanks to ebay, the price was right too. If you need the bezel too, I believe that they are sold separately... and will probably make the whole job a heap easier.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=207751

Page 19 is where I add my 2p worth. Page 15, I think is where the majority of the instructions are which I followed... plus a link to the iFixit guide.

Faye

16. pianos101 macrumors regular

sorry to hear that... I dropped a light on my MBP screen last August and it made a huge gash accross the screen. After getting a quote from Apple (around $900) i decided to try to live with it. Well, after 4 months i couldn't take it. After doing some research I stumbled upon DT&T's website (http://www.dttservice.com/macbookpro.html). I simply ordered a screen from them for $595, but for $650 they'll replace it for you. The screen they sent was perfect and was an original LG (same that the MBP's ship with). Their LCD's come with a 6 month warranty.
    I was a little nervous about replacing the LCD myself, but after following the ifixit guide it was pretty simple to take the case off and unscreen the display.
    Good luck!!

17. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

while aluminum is a soft metal, macbook pro isn't using pure aluminum. they use aluminum alloy, which is much stronger. which should be able to withhold more than it actually does.

18. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

they don't say what grade of aluminum alloy they use though

19. caderousse macrumors newbie

I'm going to use this service. Has anyone else had any experience with them?

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not really; I also don't think that would hold up in court!

Yeah in case who airplane stalls, nobody wants the wings to snap right off!

Also when did Apple say the aluminum was aircraft grade? Nowhere does it say that Apple uses CNC-milled 6061 Al.

21. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Yes, it is 'apple' expensive: a lot.
    I had my screen exchanged under warranty. Even if I did not pay, I read that the replacement cost was 600 euro.

- thistle

22. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

I recently replaced my MBP screen. Bought one off of eBay for ~$200. It wasn't hard at all to replace it! Good luck.

23. crujones727 macrumors newbie

iResq Saved my iPhone

So I broke the screen on my iPhone three days after getting it. I went to the Apple Store, and they were going to give the rebate deal to replace it, which would cost another $299. WOW what a deal!

The guy at the Genius bar told me about iResq.com, which repairs Macs. They replaced the screen of my phone for $120. A year later, it is still working fantastically, and doesn't show any signs of being a new screen.

They work on all Apples, so it is worth checking out.

-Cru

24. atkitchin macrumors newbie

Replacement LCD Screen

Hi, I fell down the stairs and made a huge dent on my macbook screen...even if it works perfectly, does anybody know if the complete screen can be replaced? I have done some research on the internet but everything I have found is about how to replace only the LCD on the same aluminum screen