Macbook Pro doesn't recognize Super Drive! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trajichero, Nov 10, 2006.

1. trajichero macrumors newbie

Hello,
    My problem all started two weeks ago when one day I was watching a netflix DVD..and then the next day my Super Drive was not recognized by my macbook pro! I have been able to get the DVD that was stuck in there out by twisting around a business card in the optical drive.
    The rest of my macbook pro works perfectly fine...and it sounds like the Super Drive is working but for some reason my MBP won't recognize it!
    Please help!
    Thanks!
    -Pete

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

OSX doesn't "recognize" optical drives the way Windows does. unlike in Windows, where the drive will always appear under "My Computer", there actually has to be a disk in the drive and then that disk will appear on the desktop or in Finder.

have you tried restarting the computer?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

See if the computer still sees the device itself.

Under the Apple menu, go to: "About this Mac...", then click on "More Info..."

Look under "Hardware>ATA".
    Under "ATA Bus", it should say something like "MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-xxxx"

4. trajichero thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies..I should have been more specific in my original post in that under the ATA information it says "This system does not contain any ATA devices". Under Disc Burning it also says that there are no drives avaialble.
    When I say "doesn't recognize Super Drive" I basically mean I can't use it at all!
    I bought this refurbished from the mac store...perhaps I dropped it or something? But it is quite strange as everything else works!

I can insert disks [which is not recognized] and eject it manually as well...

Thanks again
    -pete

5. imacintel macrumors 68000

Take it to AppleCare.

6. trajichero thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply..
    I don't have applecare on it and live in a city that doesn't have a Mac store...
    Is it a hardware failure then?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Assuming you can't boot from your OS X DVD (if you can, then it's your installed OS causing the problem), then it's definitely a hardware problem.

8. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Mine just did the same thing 3 days ago. They replaced the drive at my local Apple store. The very next day i got the same "drive not recognized" followed by the machine refusing to boot. Apple is sending a box for it Monday to repair it. I hope this helps you make a determination.

9. trajichero thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info..I guess I better look into buying apple care then...

EDIT:
    I don't know that much about apple care..my impression was that one had to buy at the same time one purchased ones Mac?
    I also noticed a "refurbished apple care" option..how does it all work?
    Thanks,
    -pete

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

MacBook Pro should still be under the 1 year warranty, unless I missed something here.

11. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes, mine was under standard one year warranty. I do not have Apple Care

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can purchase it anytime prior to the end of the 1 year warranty. I think that hold for refurbs too.

13. jokacross macrumors newbie

same problem here. I do not have apple care etc. So I bought a new drive replace it e nothing happened I check all things again and the cables drive they are fine and well connected. My drive have a cd inside and when I boot the mac he starts spinning and then stops. It seems it is working fine but the computer doesn't recognize it. Any help on this? thanks