macbook pro dvd-rom drive start up sound.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peterdactyl, Feb 28, 2007.

1. peterdactyl macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2007
    hey guys.
    Do you know if there is a way I can turn off the dvd rom boot up sound? it's the sound that occurs when you take your computer out of sleep or press the dvd-rom button next to the f-12. I just want to hear it everytime i start up my computer...

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    there isn't like a little speaker in there making that sound... in case you didn't realize.

so when do you want to and when do you not want to hear it?

don't press the eject key if you dont want to hear that ...
  3. peterdactyl thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2007
    i know that. I just don't want to hear it every time i turn on my computer. can i disable the dvd rom drive during boot ups?
  4. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    that's part of the self-testing... i don't think you can turn it off... try macosxhint tho
  5. amusice macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2007
    Its not a start up feature, your SuperDrive is malfunctioning. Commen in the UJ- 857 SuperDrives that shipped with the orginial MB and MBP
  6. trudd macrumors regular

May 27, 2004
    Malfunctioning? Somebody please shed some light to this. I bought a 2.16ghz CD MBP from a friend and have had to send it in twice already for logic/motherboard replacement. Say it ain't so...
  7. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Uhhh no. All of that model do that, its not malfunctioning. Brand new ones do it too.

Its a self test.

But yes the UJ-857 blows, I know mine crapped out.
  8. e12a macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    do you even have a mbp?

its a "normal" sound.

I hear the LG drives that can come with the MBP aren't any better. In fact readers at report that LG drives that were sent in were replaced with the UJ-857 of this year.
  9. Xingus macrumors newbie

Feb 26, 2009
    I also have this cheap sounding meeeewheeeewapp sound every time I wake up the MacBookPro and it makes me crazy. Sounds like a having robot sheep in the box.

Is there really no hack to stop this "self-test". As I rarely use the drive I wonder that it may even increase wear-off than to "test" anything.

What an embarrassing design mistake.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

Nov 14, 2008
    Is everyone so eccentric that they cant handle the slight noise of the self test when you start of wake your computer?
  11. Repo macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2009
    It's spelled "common," and it's a self-test noise. 2007? Is that what year it is? Huh.
  12. voyagerd macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    This thread may contribute to Apple not using optical drives in future computers. :p
  13. Repo macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2009
    I so look forward to that. Just imagine what they could do with that space. I hate disks. I hope they die in 2 years, max.
  14. alphaod macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    People obviously don't realize this isn't a self-check; when you don't have a disk in the drive and since the drive is slot-loading, this sound is called closing the "tray", which every computer with a tray-loading drive does when you boot up the computer (assuming the drive can close itself). Just with a slot-loading drive there is no tray to close, so instead you have the drive trying to pull in whatever disk may be in the slot. There is no proximity sensor in your drive.

Try it on any desktop with a tray with the tray open and turn the computer on—the tray will close!