Macbook Pro eSATA RAID 0 External Hard Drive Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Eggie1313, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Eggie1313 macrumors newbie

External Hard Drive Setup Macbook Pro
    Hi
    I own a Macbookpro computer with 2GB of ram running FCE. I need an external hardrive to edit/store all my video on. This is just standard definition video not HD. I have looked around a lot and have come up with this setup. Click the links.
    http://firmtek.stores.yahoo.net/sata2ensm2e.html
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148140

This would be two hardrives setup using my Expresscard on my computer. Now I would like to set these up in Raid 0. Can i do this just using mac OSX or do i need anything special?

Thanks for the help

2. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

after i get a MBP thsi month i was going buy the Firmtech one i saw it at macworld and its fast and by the way the second link does not work

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

if you are just working with DV (which i would assume since you're running FCE) then I don't know why you would need a RAID setup... a 7200RPM FW400 drive is plenty fast for DV.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Agreed. Just get a FW HDD and put the rest of the money in the bank.

Lethal

5. Eggie1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah but my computer does not have a fw 800 port and only one fw 400 because its the first gen macbook pro. i would also do the raid 0 if i can just easily set it up using mac OSX software

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Please double-check your newegg link. It is invalid.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Mac OS X can setup a software RAID array using Disk Utility.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Why do you feel you need RAID 0?
    It ups the risk of loss considerably.

An eSATA card and enclosure is a decent idea because it gets the Data stream and the DV stream separated, so they are not contending for the same Firewire controller. I don't feel RAID0 is worth it however.

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

then get an express card that has a FW port on it... RAID 0 is not worth the trouble unless you desperately need the bandwith.

10. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Raid0

I fully agree... RAID0 has far too many negatives...

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

RAID != SATA
    You can do RAID with FW drives or eSATA drives. You can run FW or eSATA singly. The advantage with eSATA is that the bandwidth is higher than FW, if the OP has to buy a expresscard anyway, they can choose between FW and eSATA independent of the decision about RAID. FW enclosures may be less money, but 2 bay removeable tray enclosures are more common with SATA.

12. JDN macrumors 6502a

Siig make express card 34 slot eSATA cards which are supposed to be very good. And then LaCie and G-Tech both make compatible drives of large capacities.

Just my 2.

13. Eggie1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Eggie1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh yeah i forgot to add the RAID is just optional in how i format the two drives. i will be able to do this using disk manager on mac osx. but in my link above to the barefeats the raid o doubles performance

15. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

yes, RAID0 is faster... but when working with DV, you won't see ANY benefit from that.

unless you absolutely need two drives, then there isn't much of a reason to get a 2-bay enclosure. just get a FW400 enclosure, a 500gig drive and you'll have plenty of space to edit.

16. Eggie1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

i just went out and got everything i have listed i figure that if i plan on upgrading to HD within the new few years then i will need faster stuff and more hard drive thank you for all your guys advice

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Hell, if you need two drives just daisy-chain them together.

I regularly work with 3 FW400 drives daisy-chained together w/o any problems at all.

Lethal

18. Eggie1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

19. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

most FW enclosures have 2 FW ports... so you plug one drive into the computer and another drive in the the first drive... and a third drive into the second drive... etc.

it isn't recommended if you are using a lot of streams, but it works.

20. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I run a RAID5 system which may or may not give me bragging rights/ nerd points.

Listen to the people here, they are right, you don't need RAID0.

Do you even have a HDV camera? If not, thats another $2000 you need to spend before getting one.

If you do not plan to be editing on HDV within the next 9-12 months, then I would wait. Enclosure prices & HD prices will be almost half as cheap by this time next year.

21. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

Some colleagues of mine at work made an astounding discovery about ordinary 720rpm firewire drives.

There where some graphic sequences and packages for a magazine programme made for a very large broadcaster that needed archiving.
    It was cut on Avid Media Composer in normal SD quality and consolidated on to a 350Gig cheepy Western digital firewire drive (and we ARE talking cheep).

The graphics where stored at 601 the VT inserts at 3:1 compression.

Some time later the archive material was needed again.
    Thankfully the operator given the task of retrieving the Avid media forgot to drop that media in to the Avid's disk array. The project was booted and play was hit on the time line.
    Much to our astonishment the project played…. Perfectly, even the parts of the project that had only been "expert" rendered.

We now don’t bother consolidating to firewire drives anymore. We edit whole projects on them. Even the 45 minute doco I cut, that is currently on air, was cut using these drives. :D

So a 7200rpm drive with a 16MB cache will handle real SD in 4:2:2 not fake SD in DV 4:2:0/4:1:1 quite happily. :p

NB. The 601 Graphics didn’t play in real time, but the drive had a bloody attempt at it!

22. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I think I have a good solution for you.

I configured a cart at OWC and put this in it:

1) A 500GB external SATA/FW800/FW400/USB2 drive. $260. This way you can use it on just about any computer on earth and on your MBP with or without the ExpressCard (see below). [OWCMEAQ7500GB16]

2) A SIIG 2-Port ExpressCard/34 Adapter. $80. I chose this card over a cheaper card that was only $45 (wow!) because SIIG is a well-known brand.
    [SIISCSAEE12S1]

So for a total of $349.43, including 2-day shipping, you have a complete setup.

You don't need a RAID, don't waste your money or bother increasing your risk for data loss.