Macbook Pro + external

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iaymnu, Mar 23, 2007.

1. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Greetings all,

I am very satisfied switcher. I have purchased a macbook pro and also in the process of buying a macbook (refurbished). My current setup is I run my mbp with an external monitor. I use the mbp's screen also, so I currently have dual screens. My concern is that if I always run dual screens will it stress the GPU in anyway or will it stress my mbp lcd screen also (dimmed after long use)? Its my 1st :apple: and I am "babying" it soo much. I also have the specks hard case on, should i take it off for better cooling or it won't matter much.

2. JPT macrumors regular

I've had the same sort of setup as you, and it has worked perfectly. I think the only thing is it might run slightly hotter when doing more GPU intensive stuff, but who knows.

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

Actually most people are worried that if you use the MBP for 8 hrs with the lid closed you'll overheat it. The jury's still out on that one. I think keeping the lid open is just fine.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Don't worry about it, I use it for 10+ hours a day and it's still running fine. :)

5. saxondale. macrumors 6502

Running the MBP and an external makes it slightly worse quality on your external display. When you have the lid shut, the GPU completely drives your monitor, but the power is shared when its running both.

6. robbh66 macrumors newbie

I am also a switcher and in the same situation. The answer is absolutely not unless you're running 3D applications which take the graphics card to the limit constantly such as newer games. Regular everyday 2D/3D isn't even going to phase it.