Macbook Pro fan noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silentwave, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    Hi all.
    I've got a 15.4" core duo 2.16ghz MBP purchased about the beginning of April. I'd say it has heat issues, whine, and did have some sort of mooing but no longer does since the Firmware update. More than once i've had some times where the computer was nearly unusable due to the heat (5 minutes of x-plane one night not on my usual desk...) but I LOVE MY MAC!

My question is this: sometimes my fans will run when not doing a lot of stuff (right now its just mail, safari, ichat, Microsoft messenger and CoreDuo Temp reading 77 celsius with fans going slowly) and lately I noticed something. When the computer is level, and increasingly once it is tilted off level, I notice the fan noise on the left side seems to change noticeably as if it were hitting something or acting weird. Can anyone give me any advice? This is my first personal mac in 12 years and my first mac notebook, so i'm always glad to hear from experts.

Thank you!

2. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Oct 1, 2005
    My MBP is doing exactly what you describe. But not under the same circumstances. When the fans run at higher speeds the left fan makes a not to healthy sound. Like the fan is coming loose or hitting something.
    I don't have to tilt the computer to produce the sound though.

Call Apple and make em take it back or get em to repair the faulty fan. I'm going to.

Edit: 77 seems a bit high when doing almost nothing IMO. Mine reaches 81 Celsius, then the fans kick in and it stays at about 74 Celsius. And that's when I push the machine to the max.
  3. Silentwave thread starter macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    Thanks for the reply...good to know i'm not going crazy!

Part of me wants to wait until just after the Core 2 ones hit the street before finally giving in :)

It may have been the surfaces I was working on to some extent, but my comptuer does run pretty hot. The highest i've seen it get was 91 then the fans got it down to the mid 80s perhaps. Typically my fans get it to the high 70s.... this with two yes>dev/nulls or running editing programs full blast.
  4. Silentwave thread starter macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL

The computer is now making a LOT more noise than before. Mostly seems to be coming from the left side of the computer, away from me...the position of the left fan. Frankly it is starting to drive me nuts :(
    My MBP was very quiet up to this point (apart from the slight whine which I can deal with). I'm fairly worried about this. Should I take it in to the apple store?
  5. GilTmac macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2007
    Not sure if there was a solution to this but my Mac is doing the same thing. Loud noise. Fan sounds like it's hitting something.
  6. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2009
    Has anyone figured out the solution to this? I have the classic macbook pro and it's like the fan is hitting something just like everyone says. It appears to be worse when picking up the laptop and tilting it at an angle and also around 3000 rpm. It's getting louder.
    Do the unibody macbook pros do this?
  7. iRez macrumors member

Feb 19, 2004
    yup...i had a left fan issue (it sounded like my computer was rattling but it was just the fan) so i followed's guide to get to the left fan and then i removed it and took it apart (only two phillips) cleaned it and oiled the fan axle with some mech oil (wd40 would do) and it's silent like it's first day :)
  8. dtblaze macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2010
    install smcfancontrol so you can manually control the fan rpm to 2000.
  9. docal97 macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    I had the same issue, just take it in and they will replace it. Easy as that. You may want to film it with your phone in case the noise dosen't happen when you go to the store. I did that and it was very helpful.