Macbook Pro - Fans running constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SimoneTemplar, Apr 17, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi there. My Macbook Pro's fans are constantly running. It only started maybe a month or so ago. I have reset my PRAM, I have cleaned up the hard drive and a verified disc permissions. The thermal paste on my cpu's has been replaced. I have looked in the acitivity monitor, and it the green and yellow lines are spiking, but I don't know why. I do not see any stray activities happening. I haven't upgraded my software, so the setup hasn't changed. Any ideas?

2. macrumors member

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro Fan

How do I measure it? (Sorry if it's a dumb question).

4. simsaladimbamba

5. macrumors regular

jambobowron

iStat Pro is a good widget which will tell you

Theres also SMC Fancontrol, which used to allow you to control it, but i havent used it in a while and i dont know if it still works

6. macrumors regular

SMC work fine for me .

and did u mean that ur fans run constantly after u put ur mac to sleep ??

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro Fans running constantly

Hi there. The fans are running at: Left: 6009rpm, Right: 5990rpm. I've done the SMC reset, nothing doing. And no, it's not when the Macbook is idle (asleep), but when I am working. Thanks for your responses.

8. macrumors regular

what are you doing when they run at 6000 rpm mark? heavy editing,or light browsing etc,give us more info pls,
    you may need to try reinstall of osx at the worst,although id start with a hardware test,can use install disc for this,google it.apple support forum has it too,

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't matter how many apps I'm running, it still runs at that speed. I will try reinstalling osx and give feedback.

10. macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Considering your willing to do it i think reinstalling is probably a good idea :)

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the hardware test, and I got the following error:
    4SNS/1/40000000:Th2H-128.00. I googled it and it seems to be the thermal sensor. Now to find myself a guru in SA that will fix it for me tomorrow (nearly impossible - normal quote time is 48 hours :( ), as in ASAP. Hold thumbs they have the part. Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it. I learnt a lot. :)

12. macrumors regular

At what temperature do the fans start ramping up? Watching a flash video the CPU temps hit 80°C, but the fans are still at 2000RPM.

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

The fans come on after about a minute after booting up cold. Temps are: 21 - HD, 37 - CPU, 20 - Airport, 21 - Enclosure base, 47 - GPU diode, 37 - GPU heatsink, 31 - Mem controller.

14. macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea that's definitely not normal. if you can, take it to Apple.

15. thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded SMCFancontrol 2.2.2, but the application does't open. I am running OS 10.5.8.

16. macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

try Fan Control

much better than SMC in my opinion

17. thread starter macrumors newbie

I set the base speed to 1000RPM, Lower threshold to 40 degrees C and upper to 70 degrees C, and the fans are still churning. Am I doing it right?

18. macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

try my settings of 2700rpm fan speed, lower threshold of 45C, and upper threshold of 70C. that keeps my computer running at 30-40C when im just browsing and keeps it very silent.

19. thread starter macrumors newbie

No, still nothing. I found apple core in SA, and I will be at their doorstep first thing in the morning, while they are still having their morning coffee. :apple:

20. macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i know that was probably a typo when you typed Apple Core but in a way that would be a great name for their retail stores!! haha

21. macrumors 601

If your thermal sensor isn't working the fans will run at full speed to protect the computer from overheating since it doesn't know if it is overheating.

A misconnected thermal sensor cable or the sensor itself may be bad, it's cheap to replace and apple should be able to do it for you in a day or two.No amount of software tweaking like fan control and smc fan control will change that, don't bother.

22. thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro Fan running constantly

That makes sense. Okiedokie. Thanks.

23. thread starter macrumors newbie

MWAHAHAHAHA!!! Ok, they are called "The Core Group", but it's obviously a pun on Apple. http://www.core.co.za/contact.php

24. macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oh i see haha. but i still think it'd be a great idea.

25. thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to keep you updated. I took it to the technicians, and they reckon I must have the Logic Board replaced (R6000 - donations welcome). They say that the guy that replaced the thermal paste, damaged it. "Report: Fails, 3 sensors, machine has been opened before, found a screw just sat inside on top of logic board. 1 sensor was not attached at all, just taped up with insulation tape, 1 sensor slightly broken near dvd drive and 1 sensor broken next to fan." Went back to thermal paste guy, who opened it up and explained that he doesn't know what they are talking about. I saw the tape, but apparantly it's for something that isn't needed. So here I am, dumb looking girl, in the middle, and someone is trying to con me out of R6000 and my fans are still running like it's the end of the world.