Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimoneTemplar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Hi there. My Macbook Pro's fans are constantly running. It only started maybe a month or so ago. I have reset my PRAM, I have cleaned up the hard drive and a verified disc permissions. The thermal paste on my cpu's has been replaced. I have looked in the acitivity monitor, and it the green and yellow lines are spiking, but I don't know why. I do not see any stray activities happening. I haven't upgraded my software, so the setup hasn't changed. Any ideas?

jambobowron

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
How do I measure it? (Sorry if it's a dumb question).

iStat Pro is a good widget which will tell you

Theres also SMC Fancontrol, which used to allow you to control it, but i havent used it in a while and i dont know if it still works

funwithamar

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
SMC work fine for me .

and did u mean that ur fans run constantly after u put ur mac to sleep ??

SimoneTemplar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Macbook Pro Fans running constantly

Hi there. The fans are running at: Left: 6009rpm, Right: 5990rpm. I've done the SMC reset, nothing doing. And no, it's not when the Macbook is idle (asleep), but when I am working. Thanks for your responses.

mediasorcerer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
what are you doing when they run at 6000 rpm mark? heavy editing,or light browsing etc,give us more info pls,
you may need to try reinstall of osx at the worst,although id start with a hardware test,can use install disc for this,google it.apple support forum has it too,

SimoneTemplar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011

It doesn't matter how many apps I'm running, it still runs at that speed. I will try reinstalling osx and give feedback.

SimoneTemplar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011

I did the hardware test, and I got the following error:
4SNS/1/40000000:Th2H-128.00. I googled it and it seems to be the thermal sensor. Now to find myself a guru in SA that will fix it for me tomorrow (nearly impossible - normal quote time is 48 hours :( ), as in ASAP. Hold thumbs they have the part. Thanks for all your input. I really appreciate it. I learnt a lot. :)

scottgroovez

macrumors regular
May 20, 2010
At what temperature do the fans start ramping up? Watching a flash video the CPU temps hit 80°C, but the fans are still at 2000RPM.

SimoneTemplar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011

The fans come on after about a minute after booting up cold. Temps are: 21 - HD, 37 - CPU, 20 - Airport, 21 - Enclosure base, 47 - GPU diode, 37 - GPU heatsink, 31 - Mem controller.

SimoneTemplar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
iStat Pro is a good widget which will tell you

Theres also SMC Fancontrol, which used to allow you to control it, but i havent used it in a while and i dont know if it still works

I downloaded SMCFancontrol 2.2.2, but the application does't open. I am running OS 10.5.8.

SimoneTemplar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
try my settings of 2700rpm fan speed, lower threshold of 45C, and upper threshold of 70C. that keeps my computer running at 30-40C when im just browsing and keeps it very silent.

No, still nothing. I found apple core in SA, and I will be at their doorstep first thing in the morning, while they are still having their morning coffee. :apple:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
No, still nothing. I found apple core in SA, and I will be at their doorstep first thing in the morning, while they are still having their morning coffee. :apple:

If your thermal sensor isn't working the fans will run at full speed to protect the computer from overheating since it doesn't know if it is overheating.

A misconnected thermal sensor cable or the sensor itself may be bad, it's cheap to replace and apple should be able to do it for you in a day or two.No amount of software tweaking like fan control and smc fan control will change that, don't bother.

SimoneTemplar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Macbook Pro Fan running constantly

If your thermal sensor isn't working the fans will run at full speed to protect the computer from overheating since it doesn't know if it is overheating.

A misconnected thermal sensor cable or the sensor itself may be bad, it's cheap to replace and apple should be able to do it for you in a day or two.No amount of software tweaking like fan control and smc fan control will change that, don't bother.

That makes sense. Okiedokie. Thanks.

SimoneTemplar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011

Just to keep you updated. I took it to the technicians, and they reckon I must have the Logic Board replaced (R6000 - donations welcome). They say that the guy that replaced the thermal paste, damaged it. "Report: Fails, 3 sensors, machine has been opened before, found a screw just sat inside on top of logic board. 1 sensor was not attached at all, just taped up with insulation tape, 1 sensor slightly broken near dvd drive and 1 sensor broken next to fan." Went back to thermal paste guy, who opened it up and explained that he doesn't know what they are talking about. I saw the tape, but apparantly it's for something that isn't needed. So here I am, dumb looking girl, in the middle, and someone is trying to con me out of R6000 and my fans are still running like it's the end of the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.