Macbook Pro finally arrived! Here is what I think.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazydrumma, May 18, 2006.

1. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Jan 31, 2006
    I got my macbook pro yesterday, and have been using it quite a bit. It is definitely an awesome computer, especially going from my 1.3 Ghz HP to the 1.83 Ghz MBP. It just flies! Also, many of you will be happy to know that there is no whine. There is not even a heat issue on the keyboard, however, the bottom does get a little bit "toasty". Here is some of the things I can review on the MBP:

Screen: Holy crap, it is just gorgeous. The colors are bright, and it is very crisp and sharp. Also, I don't know if they had this on the powerbooks, since this is my first mac, but the screen brightens and dims for the conditions in the room, which is VERY nice. Like I said, probably not a new thing, but it works great.

Speakers: Wow. They are definitely a step above from where I was coming from. They don't have the usual "tinny" sound that laptop speakers tend to have, and they pack quite a punch. Very nice speakers.

Superdrive: I ripped a CD onto iTunes in no time at all, and the slot loading drive is way cool! I love the idea of it, and it works like a charm. I have not gotten to burning any DVDs yet, but I will let you know how it works.

iSight: It's pretty cool, even though it's not neccesary. I fooled around and took some pictures, and its pretty nice when you want to make an avatar for yourself on myspace or AIM. The camera is very responsive.

Speed: I had multiple programs running, (mind you, nothing graphics intensive, mostly iTunes, Word, Photobooth, and iMovie) and it was very very snappy. I had no "beach ball of doom" problems. I had some beachball activity when I turned on the computer and set up the account for the first time, but that's expected. (By the way, I upgraded to 1GB of RAM. I reccomend it, its the LEAST you should have on your MBP.)

Keyboard: I'm sure it's nothing new from the powerbook, but it has such a great feel, and it's very solid and responsive. The backlight is very nice, and it's not too bright. Sometimes the light sensor can go weird, such as the keys being backlit when the lights are on in the room, but works pretty well.

That's all I can really say so far, since I just got it yesterday, and have yet to get Halo up and running. I will post more as I go along. If you have any questions, let me know.
  2. erickg macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2004
    Glad to hear you're happy with your new MBP and it doesn't have the whining issues.

If I were you, I'd give Apple a call, you should be entitled to a bit of a discount considering they bumped the processor speed of the entry level MBP to 2 GHz the other day.