Macbook Pro for $900 /w issues...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KingYaba, Feb 10, 2007.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Macbook Pro Core Duo 2.0ghz with 1GB Ram 100GB (5400rpm) HD 256vram with two flaws

The corner is dented a little, and the right fan does not work.

Is it worth buying for 900 bucks? I think to fix the fan would cost 200 dollars?

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

For that price, maybe. Not under warranty i am guessing?

3. Gee macrumors 65816

Is it not still under warranty for the fan? they've only been out a year and a couple of weeks, no?

But I would say definitely.

4. KingYaba thread starter macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I don't know if it is under warenty. I'll ask to see if the guy still has all the paperwork.

5. stevehp macrumors 6502

Well, if it's under warranty, then that's one heck of a deal.

If not, the fan replacement will cost you about 80 or so bucks plus labor, I think.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, if it's dented, that hints to accidental damage, and in that case the warranty becomes Appledoesn'tCare

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

IF it were cheap or easy to fix, then the original owner would have done so.
    IF Applecare still applied, the original owner would have claimed free repair on it.
    Assume that the warranty is void (due to abuse) and that it has more problems now, or will develop more problems, then you are currently aware of.

8. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

By dented a little, do you mean a minor ding (.. think, if you were an Apple genius would you let this dent slide?) or is it big enough that it looks like something inside could have possibly been damaged?

It's also possible that the original owner just got lazy and decided that whoever bought it could take it upon him/herself to fix the fan.

But first I would see about Applecare. If it's still under warranty (ask the owner) then it seems like a pretty good deal despite the broken fan (but ask him how it broke). Because if it's still under Applecare, then the broken fan should be covered under warranty.

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

How bad is the dent?

Is it just a tiny ding or is it actually a real dent where you can put your finger tip in?