Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariot

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Hi everyone,

My engagement is coming up and my mother in law is looking to get me a gift. I am debating on getting a macbook pro . Before I decide I wanted to know a few things. First off is the macbook something i can keep for 5-6 years or will it give me tons of problems after a year ? Secondly, is there are huge difference between the 13 inch i5 or i7? I mostly use my laptops for business, school and watching and downloading movies .

Thanks for the help

Mario

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
Hi everyone,

My engagement is coming up and my mother in law is looking to get me a gift. I am debating on getting a macbook pro . Before I decide I wanted to know a few things. First off is the macbook something i can keep for 5-6 years or will it give me tons of problems after a year ? Secondly, is there are huge difference between the 13 inch i5 or i7? I mostly use my laptops for business, school and watching and downloading movies .

Thanks for the help

Mario

good question i would let someone with more experience answer the bulk of your questions, but one think i knwo for sure i know atleast 2 people who have had the mac book pro from 2006 and its still running fine today in 2011, there good computers and the thing about them is not only do they run untill there last breath, but you are satisfied with your product also...

mariot

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I also wanted to know if there is a big difference between the new macs and the refurbished ones.

Thanks again

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help

Mario

If its from the mother in law... take as much as you can.. Go for i7:)

(Joke)

Not sure about the difference..

I am running an i5 on my iMac and C2D on MBP... And to be honest, i5 is somewhat (noticeably) faster.

I presume i7 would be even faster.

Although, as your computer habits are similar to mine, tbh.. even C2D is really good enough... actually, much better than good enough...

As far as refurbs are concerned, I've heard nothing but good.. My next purchase will be a refurb, thats for sure.

ahdickter

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,
First off is the macbook something i can keep for 5-6 years or will it give me tons of problems after a year ?

MacBook Pro's last a long time (as long as you take care of it :D )

Hi everyone,
Secondly, is there are huge difference between the 13 inch i5 or i7? I mostly use my laptops for business, school and watching and downloading movies .

In theory yes, the i7 will have an improvement. However, watching movies and office programs will run the same on the i5.

Now if you realllly wanna get something that will make your MBP feel like a speed demon, save the money from the i7 CPU and buy an SSD. Crucial M4's work great, or buy the SSD pre-installed.

Good Luck! :apple:

Last edited:

mariot

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Lol it is an Italian tradition :) I got a gift from my fiance and from her mom :)

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Honestly, Macs run well for a long long time. Of all the Apple products I've owned, all of them ran as fast as the day I got them even years later. I definitely cannot say the same about my past PC's.

With that said, the Mac community likes shiny things so many of us feel compelled to upgrade within a year, two or three. If we didn't have a choice to upgrade, I can confidently say the computer would last 5 to 8 years. Some parts may break along the way but if you take care of it, problems shouldn't come up too often.

I would definitely get the Apple Care if she's paying.

aery

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
Canada
I also wanted to know if there is a big difference between the new macs and the refurbished ones.

Thanks again

Refurbs are great! I've bought two Macs and many iPods refurbished. They come with the same warranty and are good as new. In some ways I think they are even better as they have been looked over instead of just flying off the assembly line. I initially went the refurb route simply because I could not quite afford a new Mac but really wanted one. Now, even if I can afford a new Mac I still stick with refurbs.

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
Lol it is an Italian tradition :) I got a gift from my fiance and from her mom :)

Unless you make a habit of getting married, you'll only get the chance once, and in 2 years your engagement gift will be worth squat. Same money can buy a vintage Omega Constellation or Speedmaster watch. Better made, better looking, and more reliable than a Macbook by a long shot, and you'll keep it forever.

mariot

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
dsio... I was only inquiring. I am probably going to buy the mac myself and will probably be getting the Indy 500 tag watch as a gift.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Never buy a woman a gift she has to plug in.

and I could say the same thing about a man.....

Personally, I would rather have had a geeked out MacBook Pro than a fancy expensive engagement ring. I wear my wedding band all the time, but my diamond only for special occasions. I guess it is something that I'll have forever and the computer isn't, especialy since I've been married for :eek: 11 years :eek:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.