MacBook Pro for my Office with Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jenjo43545, Feb 22, 2007.

1. jenjo43545 macrumors newbie

In my professional office, I currently have a Mac G5 and cinema display with Adobe CS2 software. I do layout, some graphics, some photo manipulation. We're hiring someone else in the department, and I really would like to purchase a laptop for myself and give him my current Mac. I need the flexibility of taking my work home and on trips. I've compared the specifications of a mac pro and a MacBook Pro, but I'm still afraid I'm missing something big...that I'll buy the laptop and it won't fit my workflow. I'd buy a cinema display to hook up to the macbook when I'm in the office.

Also, I read that CS2 is a bit slow on the Mac Pros, and there's a CS3 expected soon. But I need to make this purchasing decision in the next couple of weeks.

Any advice?
    Thanks!

2. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

MacPro has considerably more grunt that a MBP. So for serious graphics/design etc it is the best choice. Plus you can customise it much more than a MBP (up to 16GB RAM!). That said, i use my MBP for plenty of PS CS2 work, and it handles it quite well. It is true that CS2 is not intel native, so is a bit slow. But CS3 is expected to be out in the next couple of months, and will be much faster on these macs.

8 core macs are also on their way, but your purchasing decision should be made on whether you need portability (MBP) or whether high-performance workstation graphics is more important.

hope this helps.

3. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Maybe compare the specs from your old computer with that of the MBP and MacPro.
    Compare the kind of performance you want, with the performance you already have.