Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kbalazs

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
a solution

a small solution to the locking problem: first plug in only the dvi-vga cable, without the external display connected.
Then blue screen comes (it's good), then You can plug in the external display to the empty end of the cable.

best

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.
Worst Mac I have ever had. It froze 5 times while I was on a business trip last week, once on the plane. My freezes have always been a total freeze, nothing moves. The cursor is frozen and the only thing I can do is hit the power button. I have since installed Leopard and I did a clean install and the freezes continue.

I have called Apple and they want my laptop to test. The problem is that it is a work laptop and I can't let the Apple store hold it for three plus days. Plus there is company only data on the disk. Apple needs a better program for businesses. Dell would send a Rep out to the site and swap out the mother board or whatever needs to be repaired. It seems like it is a graphics card hang to me.

On the flip side my iMac at home has never froze and has been the most problem free system I have ever owned.

PowerPointSamur

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2006
I've had my 2.16GHz 17" MacBook Pro since they first came out, and I only recently began to have this problem. I would routinely have uptimes of WEEKS (and only then because I shut it down to take it somewhere), and my G5 cranks out uptimes of months, and only then because of security updates.

Then suddenly it began freezing around Halloween 2007 culminating in a total hard drive failure. Luckily I began backing it up when it started crashing a lot before the drive totally failed. I was a little ticked off, but upgraded the stock Seagate 7200rpm 100GB for a Hitachi 7200rpm 200GB (because I heard about the problems with Seagate) and got Leopard installed while I was at it.

Everything ran fine until around Christmas, where it began freezing TOTALLY a few times a week (sometimes a few times a day). I tried everything you all talked about here, such as Disk Utility, Diagnostic, Disk Warrior, etc. but not TechTool Pro (which sounds like it won't tell me anything either). I tried zapping the PRAM, trashing the OS cache, etc. too.

Until I read this forum, I thought I might be overheating it by running it hard. I run processor intensive apps, and run BOINC when I'm not, so I'm running around 100% processor 24/7/365. The processor temp usually hangs out around 80C (the hard drive is at about 40C). I didn't buy the 17" primarily for portability, I bought it for the screen and the performance to run the apps I need, so I'm not very receptive to criticism that this is happening because I'm running it too hard. Besides, my G5 and G3 (although desktops) ran for years with no problems. After reading this forum, I'm pretty sure it's not a heat issue anyway.

One final note: sometimes I get a little warning that it's going to freeze because some graphics artifacts appear on the screen. For example, sometimes I get a transparent light blue swoosh across part of the screen, as if it were a layer of the genie effect of putting something into or out of the dock. Other times I get something like a line of TV static a few pixels wide that runs horizontally across some random part of the screen. Anyone else had that?

Fel

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
Hopes this helps users with the freezing problem. I'm trying it now to fix the same issue others are having. Total system freeze. Link is to the Apple discussion forum. A user there is suggesting that this is a hardware problem with a ribbon cable under the battery. I checked mine and sure enough noticed the problem he described. Worth a try.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1365569&tstart=60

Fel

PowerPointSamur

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2006
Total freeze, not just keyboard and mouse

Hopes this helps users with the freezing problem. I'm trying it now to fix the same issue others are having. Total system freeze. Link is to the Apple discussion forum. A user there is suggesting that this is a hardware problem with a ribbon cable under the battery. I checked mine and sure enough noticed the problem he described. Worth a try.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1365569&tstart=60

Fel

I'll give that a shot. However, my problem is not merely the keyboard and mouse seizing up--the entire system locks up. On several occasions I had a process running and I could see it stop when the system became unresponsive. The whole system is freezing, not just my inputs. That might be consistent with what that user described as a kernel panic following the loss of input control.

Another thing that frustrates me about it is that while a normal crash would generate a diagnostic packet to send to Apple for their evaluation and a possible patch, this never does, so in the event it is a software related issue, they are likely oblivious to it. If it's hardware and the OS never gets a chance to generate a log of what happened, no wonder Apple is in denial about it--they don't know unless people call, and then they initially deny it in the absence of aforementioned diagnostic packets.

PowerPointSamur

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2006
By the way, Fel, I hope you do not construe my last post as downplaying your find--it is fantastic. On further reflection I think it may indeed have something to do with my situation, because I too had a battery problem. My battery case literally ruptured open and mushroomed out below the case and also pushed up into the trackpad cavity. I got the replacement battery a long time before my hard drive problem developed though, but it's possible with the installation of the new one, or heating or what ever it might've done something to that ribbon you mentioned. It's also possible that the guys who installed my new HD maybe pinched something inadvertently.

I'd be curious to know how many others having this freeze issue also had battery problems.

Fel

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
I'm still trying to figure out if my freezes are hardware or software, but the linked thread from the Apple discussion forum got me thinking. My freezes started with Leopard, but looking back they also started when I began using about 2 batteries a day and thus was constantly swapping. I also had slight swelling from my first battery (replaced under warranty) that distorted the battery bay slightly. My 2 new batteries do not fit as flush or precisely as when new. Also, I spend a lot of time computing on the couch and in bed, and thus the laptop is used at different angles and on pillows, limbs, etc. I just ensure that the vent is clear.

So it seems possible that there is some battery movement, combined with different pressure and a loose ribbon cable that could cause hardware-related lockups.

In any case, I'm getting total freezes that require power-button to reset. Very annoying and un-Mac. I'm on a MBP 2.33 with 3GB RAM.

PowerPointSamur

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2006
Update

I ran an update a day or two ago labeled "Leopard Graphics Update", but it makes me nervous that I haven't seen any press on it here or anywhere else. The problem hasn't happened since then though. So far, so good. I also installed another 1GB RAM since then too, but I think it did crash after the RAM, but before the graphics update. Like I said, so far, so good though.

Your hypothesis about the bay is interesting. I didn't have problems immediately after my battery swelled--it took a few months before my HD failed, and then the new HD and everything worked fine again for a while.

pianoman124

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
Same problem-- older MBP!

I'm having the same problems many of you guys are describing, only I have a few extra thoughts to add to this forum. My computer has been freezing FREQUENTLY for the past several days and the whole situation with it is beginning to make me VERY nervous... All of the symptoms I'm experiencing are just a little too familiar! I had an iBook G4 (last build) and it had a problem with the Graphics Processing Unit where the processor soldering joints were weak and would move when they got hot, causing the display to freeze and the computer to become unresponsive. The lovely folks at Apple told me the only way to fix this was to replace the Logic Board-- so instead, I bought (what was then) a new Macbook Pro 15" )1.83 GHz Intel. I bought the very first version, and have had some pretty fantastic problems with it-- all of which have been covered by Apple because they point to defects in craftmanship. This is a brand new problem though. My computer will randomly freeze when I'm using it, and generally during something graphics-intensive, although that does not always need to be the case. Here are some thoughts:
1.) I just recently installed the latest Security Update (Tiger) 2008-002 and was not experiencing any problems until I did.
2.) I also recently bought an external monitor and was using it flawlessly for about a week before anything started to happen.
3.) I've noticed that my computer freezes when the temperature gets very high (145-160ºF).
4.) My keyboard becomes COMPLETELY unresponsive. The Caps Lock light doesn't even light up when I push the button-- the screen freezes totally and I have to hard reset with the power button.
5.) Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 restarts to make it all the way to the desktop, and then it's a coin-toss as to whether or not it will work long enough for me to even check my e-mail.
6.) Airport is disabled.
7.) The computer initially only froze when I had the extra monitor plugged in, now it freezes without the monitor there, and from a fresh boot.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but it seems that if so many people are having these problems that Apple should surely address them!! ANY comments or feedback would be SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!
Charlie

rev316

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2004
Running into the same. I'm also using an external display.

Mostly using Mail, iTunes, and Safari.

Trigger whens I sync my mail sometimes, or run flash content. Inconsistent.

(latest mac updates have been applied)

Help us Apple!

malabarien

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
macbook pro freezing

Hello,

sometimes my macbook pro 2,16 Mhz freezes.
If it plays audio, it scraches like an old LP.
I am using that computer to work.
My first idea was to burn an apple store (hi...).
Is there a best way (as apple is silent about the problem ?

Thank you.

SPCMirvis

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2008
Bad Ram

I have the same problem and it has nothing to do with the wires, etc.
It is a ram error due to upgrades, etc. When upgrading your Macbooks and Macbook Pro's keep in mind that you can only use MAC's ram and no matter how good Crucial is, there are problems similar to the ones every one here is experiencing.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I have the same problem and it has nothing to do with the wires, etc.
It is a ram error due to upgrades, etc. When upgrading your Macbooks and Macbook Pro's keep in mind that you can only use MAC's ram and no matter how good Crucial is, there are problems similar to the ones every one here is experiencing.
I upgraded the ram in my PowerBook G4 when I first got it five years ago. I bought a third party chip instead of one from Apple because doing so saved me a BUNCH of money. I have never had a moment's trouble with it. Make of that what you will.

malabarien

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
macbook pro freezing

Hello,

For me the solution was to backup all files, and install Leopard after erasing the hard drive.
Do not upgrade to Leopard, simply erase all and install Leopard.

Try this and tell us.

Jerome.

SPCMirvis

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2008
I Fixed The Problem!!! This Is Exactly

Three things which could possibly be going on if your macbook is freezing.
But before you go all crazy about it, IT IS A HARDWARE ISSUE!!!!

1.) You upgraded to a generic ram... Macs don't work well on Generic Ram
2.) THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME: My Ram Chips were loose
3.) Bad Ram Chips

My Ram chips were loose and for some reason they were really screwing up my MBP. The computer was constantly crashing, wouldn't start up half the time and was crazilly over heating. I recently upgraded to crucial ram and apparently, the ram chips were loose.

This is the Kernel Panic Error I was having:

Thu Jun 5 01:28:40 2008
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00192FD4): "pmap_flush_tlbs() timeout: " "cpu 1 failing to respond to interrupts, pmap=0x536500 cpus_to_signal=2"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.5.18/osfmk/i386/pmap.c:4570
Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x6a6f39c8 : 0x12b0fa (0x459294 0x6a6f39fc 0x133243 0x0)
0x6a6f3a18 : 0x192fd4 (0x45f404 0x1 0x536500 0x2)
0x6a6f3a88 : 0x1932b8 (0x0 0x1 0x0 0x6faea64)
0x6a6f3b38 : 0x195721 (0x536500 0x5b278000 0x0 0xfead93c0)
0x6a6f3b98 : 0x169e6f (0x536500 0x5b278000 0x0 0x5b2f8000)
0x6a6f3cb8 : 0x16a437 (0x5b2f8000 0x0 0x1 0x0)
0x6a6f3cf8 : 0x164699 (0x1b83f78 0x5b278000 0x0 0x5b2f8000)
0x6a6f3d38 : 0x1fac6b (0x1b83f78 0x5b278000 0x80000 0x6a6f3dc8)
0x6a6f3df8 : 0x1faee0 (0x0 0x48477914 0x11193 0x328054)
0x6a6f3e38 : 0x333ba1 (0x6e42f00 0x2 0x0 0x6eefe70)
0x6a6f3ea8 : 0x1f6af2 (0x6cbbb90 0x2 0x6c99ac4 0x1f60ab)
0x6a6f3ee8 : 0x1e0514 (0x6cbbb90 0x2 0x6c99ac4 0xf)
0x6a6f3f08 : 0x1db2e5 (0x6cbbb90 0x0 0x1 0x199e88)
0x6a6f3f48 : 0x1e0549 (0x1 0x1e04dc 0x0 0x1a8e9f)
0x6a6f3f78 : 0x3dddda (0x6eefe70 0x6c999c0 0x6c99a04 0x6d73128)
0x6a6f3fc8 : 0x19f2c3 (0x72a6f00 0x1 0x1a20b5 0x72a3120)
Backtrace continues...

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: update

Mac OS version:
9D34

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.3.0: Fri May 23 00:49:16 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.5.18~1/RELEASE_I386
System model name: MacBookPro4,1 (Mac-F42C89C8)

==================================
15 Inch 2.5 Intel Dual Core
4 Gig Ram
250 HD
512 Geforce 8600GT

I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!!!
==================================

SDW2001

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
My work MacBook Pro is freezing too. Random freezes where the cursor hangs and you can't do nothing but a hard reset. I have completely reinstalled the OS, cleared the PRAM, replaired the disk with Disk Utility and checked the hardware with the Apple Diagnostic tool and Tech Tool Pro. Many people are complaining online but no one seems to have a fix.

Thank god I don't have this problem with my home system that I bought myself. But it is truly embarrassing to have a Mac freeze in a room of Windows users.

I have the same issue with a 2.33ghz/factory 2GB MBP, circa 2006. I can't find a fix either. Same thing happens...the cursor freezes. It usually happens online. First it slows down, then everything freezes. A hard restart is the only option. Some have said they think it's bad RAM, and I can't see how that's possible. It's unlikely since there is nothing third party installed.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Count me in on this. I've had my MBP since 10/2006 and it first froze last night. Rebooted by holding down the power button. It froze again. Both times, I was on battery power and surfing the web (FF3). I reset the PRAM and had no further issues thus far.

I checked system profiler for S.M.A.R.T. status, checked SMARTReporter and the Leopard version of Techtool for a more detailed hardware check. ALL normal. I blame this on Leopard... perhaps something with 10.5.3 did it for me.

WTF, Apple?

WacMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
Central Oregon
Late 08 Macbook Pro random freezing

I also was having random total freezes of my new MacBook Pro. I took it to an Apple Genius at the Apple store. The Genius new right away it was either bad ram or poorly seated ram. He reseated the ram, PROBLEM SOLVED!:D

Eric1811

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
Mine Too...

I can totally feel your pain, middle of an important meeting, keynote presentation looking good...blam: do the dance while you hard start your Mac.
I have a MBP 17" 2.16 DC, 1 G Ram. It has had a hard drive transplant and a Fastmac card install. I also had a battery go bad (swollen), which was replaced. Anyway, it started to freeze, like many have described, keyboard, mouse, scratched LP. I initially noted this problem when connecting to a projector, now it does it at random times for no apparent reason. I had the genius check it out, nothing found. I have no idea what is going on but it has all but rendered this an overpriced paperweight.
Has anyone considered the logic board? Perhaps a software hang up? Not sure, but still working on process of elimination on the installed programs.

proof15

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
Same to me

I`ve had the same issue. Searched in all forums till i found solution.
Put installation disc of Snow Leopard in the super drive. Restart the machine and hold down "C" untill grey logo of apple appears. You will have to wait some time for the disc to be recognized and open. Move the arrow/cursor on top of the screen and you will see the taskbar. Click on Utilities, then on Disk Utility, select your Macintosh HD, select First Aid and do Verify Disk/Repair Disk and Verify Permissions/Repair Permissions. When finish click File/Quit Disk utility and restart your machine. After that simply procedure i can say i dont have any issues. Hope i helped to someone and sorry for my bad English. :apple:

gshupp

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
floyd, virginia
freezing cursor

You don't know how I have suffered with the freezing cursor since I bought my Macbook Pro for which I pay one hundred a month and can't use it. I had an Apple expert help me while it was under warranty, and I took it to an Apple shop which didn't fix it. Now it is still freezing, and the only choice I have since the computer is no longer under warranty is to pay more for help in addition to the one hundred a month I now pay. A service plan of $349.00 would be the same I would pay for an inexpensive replacement. Woe is me and a curse on Apple.

gshupp

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
floyd, virginia
frozen Mac

Ever since my Macbook Pro caught the frozen cursor syndrome all it will say is "damn you, Apple; damn you, Apple; damn you, Apple."

peelincaps

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
in a house
I've found a solution!!!! Finally!

My macbook has been freezing for the last 4 months. After pulling most of my hair out, I decided to take a stand as the techs at apple have failed to repair the problem on two seperate occassions. I decided to disassemble my macbook and just have a look inside. The first thing I noticed is that the heat sink was loose so I removed it, cleaned the old heatsink compound off, put some new stuff on and screwed it on tight. Then I removed the memory and inspected the pins inside the banks with a magnifying glass and a flashlight. To my amazement, I found two pins in the right bank were covered with that white gunk. After I cleaned the banks out with some alcohol and an q-tip, I reinserted the memory. I'm very proud to say that after all that, I've fixed the problem. I tested my macbook by playing 720p videos for hours on end and guess what, no freezing!!! I RULE!!:) ---- TELL THE MASSES, WE FIGURED OUT HOW TO BRING THOSE SONS OF BITCHES DOWN!!!

Last edited:

ajsnow6234

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
So...my Macbook Pro has been freezing and the display shows the attached picture. It's not overheating, that I'm certain off. It's done it about 6 times this past week and when it happens I can't restart without it happening again at boot up. I've done PRAM reset and nothing helps. Appt with the Genius Bar today...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 127
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 132
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.