MacBook Pro GPU Temperature

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bezerk3r86, Sep 6, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Hi

I happen to have a Late 2007 MacBook Pro (The specs are in my signature). My model was also the one affected by the 8600Gt issue so I had taken to a nearby Apple Reseller in Dubai in 2008. It's been months since that happened.

However, I've been monitoring my CPU & GPU temperatures and I'm still confused about what is ideal and if I should be worried about anything.

(I took a screenshot of my iStat readings and there's a difference of atleast 11C between the GPU Diode and GPU Heatsink)

Is there anything alarming that I should be worried about?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Gpu's always run hot. Looks fine to me mate

3. macrumors 68040

iLog.Genius

Yes under load, but if your doing nothing, it shouldn't be at 70 C. I idle anywhere between 50-55 C when idling or doing nothing but web.

4. macrumors member

5. macrumors 68000

lewis82

I won't start a new thread for this question because it's related...

I just installed iStat menus on my new MBP 13" and I just realized by looking at this thread that I can't see any GPU temperature.

Is there a temperature sensor on the 9400?

6. macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

The 8600m GT runs hot even at idle. Mine has done so since I got this MBP over a year ago and idle is around 65-75c.

Under load it can hit 80-85 but when the fans kick in it usually hovers around 80ish region. GPU's do run hot.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Whenever mine is idle,the GPU diode hovers around 55-60C and the heatsink gives me 49-55C - the readings correspond when there's a difference of atleast 10C.

8. macrumors 68040

iLog.Genius

I don't know if the new iStat for SL changes this but on the old iStat menu, the temperature for the 9400M is Northbridge.

Yikes. Then the 9600M GT is a huge improvement. Back in Leopard, it will idle at 55 C. Now in SL 60 C and higher.

9. macrumors 6502a

How do you get the GPU temp option on iStat menus (you're using that, right?). I don't have it:(.

10. thread starter macrumors member

If you go to the Preferences for iStat in System Preferences, you should see it in the Sensors section.

11. macrumors newbie

Normal temperatures. You should see temps under Vista or Windows 7 when the GPU is working to cope with the whole Aero stuff.