Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Milan, Italy
Does anybody know if Apple has finally sorted out the high pitched whine and the excessive heat problems that the MBP has been having?

I need to purchase a new laptop, but only if they have definitely resolved these issues.

Thanks for your help!

iPie

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I just got my macbook pro. 8615 serial number and it whines like crazy and gets way too hot. Unfortunately for me i thought everyone here was just over reacting and that it couldn't be that bad. How wrong i was.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
EDIT: Seems i spoke too soon. It's back but not as bad as before.

Ok well touch wood but after updating my bios to the bootcamp enabling version and also trying out speedit (although i'm not sure if that did anything) my macbook has quietened down. Still hot as ever but i can get over that while there is no noise.

It's amazing how much i disliked this just because of the noise, without the noise this laptop is SO much nicer.

I have no idea what actually caused the whine to stop since i had it initially after i updated the bios but i am not complaining. Love the backlit keyboard, although i was initially worried it didn't work because the buttons didn't do anything. They only work when the backlighting is turned on by the macbook.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
TBi said:
Ok well touch wood but after updating my bios to the bootcamp enabling version and also trying out speedit (although i'm not sure if that did anything) my macbook has quietened down. Still hot as ever but i can get over that while there is no noise.

It's amazing how much i disliked this just because of the noise, without the noise this laptop is SO much nicer.

I have no idea what actually caused the whine to stop since i had it initially after i updated the bios but i am not complaining. Love the backlit keyboard, although i was initially worried it didn't work because the buttons didn't do anything. They only work when the backlighting is turned on by the macbook.

nice to hear about the whine coming down.

The backlit keyboard's sensitivity is quite odd; sometimes i found it turning on automatically when dark, sometimes I could adjust the lighting via keyboard when it was light, and sometimes only via software. I know my way around a keyboard, though, so I left it off. Even while dark, the glow kind of reflects back off the screen.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Nice for me too. However this thing is still very hot. It might be that heatsink compound like other people are saying. However i'm going to wait a while to find out how many people try it out and it's success rate.

Writing this on XP on parallels workstation under osx. Pretty neat and fast, especially compared to virtual PC i used before. Now i need to buy a new XP license.

iPie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Milan, Italy
TBi

Thanks for the update. You may have convinced me to put off my MBP purchase though, I am not sure how interested I am in purchasing a problem laptop.

At PC prices I would take the risk, but not with a premium laptop.

I think Apple needs some new ads with:

"Hi, I'm a Mac,
My hearing's not too good
and I don't use my Pro on my lap
cause I don't want to burn my dock"

EricChunky

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
London
iPie said:
TBi
"Hi, I'm a Mac,
My hearing's not too good
and I don't use my Pro on my lap
cause I don't want to burn my dock"

but they do giv damn good services tho
they gave me a full refund ;) stick with PB12" now

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
iPie said:
At PC prices I would take the risk, but not with a premium laptop.

You should hold off until you are satisfied ... time is on the side of the purchaser especially when quite a bit of money is involved.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I hear way more whining from Mac users than from MBPs themselves.

Yeah, there's a bit of an issue, but the salesman I trust and talk to whenever I go to my nearby Apple reseller says it's not as if EVERY machine makes a noise, only a percentage, especially now. He has heard of several MBP noise-related complaints at his store, though.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Abstract said:
I hear way more whining from Mac users than from MBPs themselves.

Yeah, there's a bit of an issue, but the salesman I trust and talk to whenever I go to my nearby Apple reseller says it's not as if EVERY machine makes a noise, only a percentage, especially now. He has heard of several MBP noise-related complaints at his store, though.

Unless you have heard the whine yourself you can't really comment on it. It is very very annoying, a lot more annoying than reading people talk about how annoying it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.