MacBook Pro - Heat and Whine resolved?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iPie, May 5, 2006.

1. iPie macrumors regular

iPie

Does anybody know if Apple has finally sorted out the high pitched whine and the excessive heat problems that the MBP has been having?

I need to purchase a new laptop, but only if they have definitely resolved these issues.

Thanks for your help!

iPie

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I just got my macbook pro. 8615 serial number and it whines like crazy and gets way too hot. Unfortunately for me i thought everyone here was just over reacting and that it couldn't be that bad. How wrong i was.

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

EDIT: Seems i spoke too soon. It's back but not as bad as before.

Ok well touch wood but after updating my bios to the bootcamp enabling version and also trying out speedit (although i'm not sure if that did anything) my macbook has quietened down. Still hot as ever but i can get over that while there is no noise.

It's amazing how much i disliked this just because of the noise, without the noise this laptop is SO much nicer.

I have no idea what actually caused the whine to stop since i had it initially after i updated the bios but i am not complaining. Love the backlit keyboard, although i was initially worried it didn't work because the buttons didn't do anything. They only work when the backlighting is turned on by the macbook.

4. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

nice to hear about the whine coming down.

The backlit keyboard's sensitivity is quite odd; sometimes i found it turning on automatically when dark, sometimes I could adjust the lighting via keyboard when it was light, and sometimes only via software. I know my way around a keyboard, though, so I left it off. Even while dark, the glow kind of reflects back off the screen.

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Nice for me too. However this thing is still very hot. It might be that heatsink compound like other people are saying. However i'm going to wait a while to find out how many people try it out and it's success rate.

Writing this on XP on parallels workstation under osx. Pretty neat and fast, especially compared to virtual PC i used before. Now i need to buy a new XP license.

6. iPie thread starter macrumors regular

iPie

TBi

Thanks for the update. You may have convinced me to put off my MBP purchase though, I am not sure how interested I am in purchasing a problem laptop.

At PC prices I would take the risk, but not with a premium laptop.

I think Apple needs some new ads with:

"Hi, I'm a Mac,
    My hearing's not too good
    and I don't use my Pro on my lap
    cause I don't want to burn my dock"

7. EricChunky macrumors regular

but they do giv damn good services tho
    they gave me a full refund ;) stick with PB12" now

8. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

You should hold off until you are satisfied ... time is on the side of the purchaser especially when quite a bit of money is involved.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hear way more whining from Mac users than from MBPs themselves.

Yeah, there's a bit of an issue, but the salesman I trust and talk to whenever I go to my nearby Apple reseller says it's not as if EVERY machine makes a noise, only a percentage, especially now. He has heard of several MBP noise-related complaints at his store, though.

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Unless you have heard the whine yourself you can't really comment on it. It is very very annoying, a lot more annoying than reading people talk about how annoying it is.