Macbook (Pro) Heat waay overated...!??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by i-unit123, Jun 17, 2006.

1. i-unit123 macrumors member

i-unit123

Hey,

I've been using PCs for many years, and just recently ive started to use a macbook pro (SOOOO AWESOME). However, I've noticed many people complaining about heat issues. Some people complain that their CPUs reach temps of 50, 65, and even 70 degrees celsius, and saying that their computers were far too hot to handle. However, recently i installed programs to find out the temps of my two old PCs, a Toshiba P30, and a Sony Vaio TX. I was very suprised:

Macbook Pro 2.16Ghz 15" - 65 Celsius
    Sony Vaio - 88 Celsius
    P30 - 85 Celsius

It seems that really, the Macbook Pro heat issue is overrated. If my 85 Celsius laptop doesnt feel unbearable, why are people complaining about 65 degrees celsius?

I guess im just used to crappy overheating PC hardware, and inveterate mac users are used to and expect only the best:)

Just thought i'd share that...

2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I agree... I mean its hot, but its not unbearable.

The reason the MBP is hotter though is because its made out of alluminum so the heat goes through instead of a plastic Vaio.

3. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

People on here just complain because they have nothing better to do....they don't represent the "real-life" population.

4. Rovman macrumors regular

The temp of the CPU is not what bothers people, its the temp of the case tht's the problem.

With my Infrared non-contact thermometer the maximum temperature i've read for my case temp (MacBook) has been 60c. Now that isn't "burning" hot, but it is uncomfortable/sweaty hot (i know they say its a portable computer not a laptop etc)

5. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

It's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overrated!

Sometimes it irks me to even read it. I don't remember anywhere near this many complaints about the 12" PB, which, in my experiences was much worse! This MBP is a relief to me!

Now if only it wasn't peeling...

6. vv-tim macrumors 6502

The problem is not the actual heat... I've had hot laptops before. The problem is that the heat would not be a problem had Apple properly applied the thermal paste.

Aside from that, the temperature reading from your other laptops isn't necessarily coming from the same location as the MBP's temperature sensors, so you can't compare the different notebook temperature readings at all.

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i know my powerbook averages around 50 degrees celcius, and it's not *unbearable*.. if i know it's going to be on my lap for a while, i just put something between that and my legs and i'm fine.

i assumed that most people were making a bigger deal than it ought to be, but i am curious, does the MBP run significantly/much hotter than the PBs? i mean, i don't mind the temp of mine, but if the MBPs are running 10-20 degrees hotter on a regular basis, then i could definitely understand that being an issue for many.

8. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

One possibilty is that PC laptops run their fans more and much of the heat goes out the vent. Apple on the otherhand choose to run the fans less (more of an emphasis on silence than thermal conditions) and let the heat build up in the case.

At least that's what I observe with my Toshiba and iBook.

9. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Just a guess but I think everyone was expecting Intel 'books to run cooler.

10. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

This is a great point - the heat doesn't bother me much, either, but Apple could have done a better job...but didn't.

Instead, they've ignored the problem quite a bit...shrug, it doesn't bother me, but it doesn't make me too happy either :eek:

11. y0zza macrumors regular

Don't know about those laptops in particular, but my Dell D600 (1.7GHz Banias P-M) used to idle around 35-45 degrees C and top out at around 65 degrees C under load. It also runs pretty damn quiet.

There's no way you could call the MacBook (Pro) "cool-running". That some other laptops also run as hot or hotter doesn't negate that fact. Particularly in cases where people's MacBooks (Pros) have been tripping into thermal panic and throttling.

It clearly is a problem when the CPU is not able to run at its rated speed due to insufficient cooling.

With that said, I do think the heat issue has been overblown somewhat. It does seem that not all units are affected, again perhaps due to poor quality control at manufacturing.

12. Timepass macrumors 65816

Like he said it not the heat of the CPU (which is not good) but heat of the case.

60C (or 140 degree F) is way to hot of for the case to get to. That is roughly the max heat your hot water is going to get. And at that temp it does not take to long before damage starts happening to the skin.

It poor design by apple. what they should of done have a way to disapat the heat better and prevent the case from getting that hot. And their own manuals have the thermo paste at way to much so the blame for it falls back on the engineering not quallity control. quallity control can only make sure stuff is within design and when the design is bad well the producted is screwed

13. imacintel macrumors 68000

I agree with the OP. Yes, it gets somewhat warm but I think PBG4s get warmer.:rolleyes:

14. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

That's because people on here are dreamers. They hear something and then warp the truth into some fantasy and next thing you know it's the new "truth." The new Intel books would have run cooler....if there was no performance increase over the G4.... This is just like the upcoming Merom book...they will run as hot, or hotter because Apple isn't going to release machines that have the same performance as previous books. The only way Merom will be cooler is if they run at the same performance level as current machines. Of course, this has also been mixed up into some weird fantasy about chip being BOTH 20% cooler and 20% faster (and higher clock speed with both of those applied).

15. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

This thing about the thermal paste is questionable to me. When you put too much thermal paste between a GPU/CPU, the pressure between the die and the heatsink is enough to squeeze any excess paste out from between the two surfaces, especially if the thermal paste is quite runny like the normal white silicone paste (unlike Arctic Silver which is very very thick and sticky).

Besides, if too much paste manages to remain between the GPU/CPU and Heatsink, this means heat being generated by the GPU/CPU can't conduct efficiently into the Heatsink and surrounding surfaces. This means more heat would remain in the CPU/GPU core and not transfer to the heatsink and then on to the casing.

This means the case would be *cooler* to the touch than with the correct amount of thermal paste applied.

16. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

17. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

85 Celsius?! :eek:

You kidding?! Thats near boiling point. How the hell do you not find that unbearable?!

18. Timepass macrumors 65816

Well it could be they have better design and have the heat either spread out more on the bottom. or B have a better way of moving ot off to antoher location so the heat enver getts taht hot in one spot.

It a design flaw made by apple and now they are paying for it.

19. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

This is why Apple calls it a portable and not a laptop. I would not want to put something that hot on my lap. :eek:

20. i-unit123 thread starter macrumors member

i-unit123

its 85 degrees celsius for the CPU, not the casing, if that clarifys things

but thats not the hottest, just recently my vaio reached 91 celsius ( CPU) :eek:
    wtf! i know!

21. Timepass macrumors 65816

something wrong with the temp sensor. Those chips go in to a protection before that point. And that protection mode is before it starts melting the chip. So something off with the temp sensor then.

22. vv-tim macrumors 6502

The design flaw is in the thermal paste. Mine runs nice and cool with proper application.

23. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

My MacBook pretty much runs @ 62-65C. Is that reasonable?

24. baboo2 macrumors member

I had a dell ultraportable and ibook (g4) and I can say that the MBP does get quite hot, very hot indeed and if you put it on your lap it becomes very hot but not to the point it burns.

25. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Damn those inch thick design flaws, too bad dell doesnt put out anything other then their plastic bohemith perfect designs.