MacBook Pro intel Core 2 Duo and Heat

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BBasdas, Mar 16, 2007.

1. BBasdas macrumors member

BBasdas

Hi, I have 2 GHz Intel Core Duo and as many other users are, I am unhappy with the heat. Otherwise, all working great. i want to sell this and get the Core 2 Duo, but since this is the only reason at this point I wanted to ask how significantly there is a difference in terms of the machine getting hot. My MBP intel core due ranges from 60C-76C even when I am browsing on the Firefox - which i realize experienced my many. would intel core 2 due keep my arms cooler? :)

Thanks,
    B

2. cobravap macrumors regular

Hey i doubt it. My temperatures are usually around there. I have seen anywhere from 50-72*C (just a ball park). I do increase the fan speed if it gets a little to hot for my test. But all in all, if that is your reason to upgrade, then upgrading is not the best option.

3. neyoung macrumors member

Supposedly the C2D chip runs slightly cooler than the CD. Don't waste your money upgrading a perfectly good machine. Your best bet is to install a 3rd party program to control the fan speed or your CPU. This will help tremendously.

4. BBasdas thread starter macrumors member

BBasdas

thanks! this is helpful. I am always scared to get a new machine once I know this one is so far working. I have it since July, and still got the a care.

so my next 2 questions are:

1) what is this 3rd party program you suggest to control the fan speed? How do i do this?

2) those of you who type for long time with this machine, do you have some other options to help. do you do any even silly things to help less bur? After an hour i cant type as i am burning - plus i live in LA it is already hot here :)

thanks
    BB

5. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

6. Viremia macrumors regular

Using Fan Control 1.1 with my 2.33 GHz C2D 15" MBP, I can keep the temp at between 45 and 50*C without hearing any fan noise. That's while surfing with Firefox, listening to iTunes, using Excel or Word and with Mail open checking for new email. Even watching a 640x480 H.264 video with the above doesn't really push the temp up too much.

Right now, it's at 46*C and sitting in my lap with iTunes running and FF open.

7. BBasdas thread starter macrumors member

BBasdas

Thanks,
    so I can increase the minimum speed of the RPM as much as i want, and my machine will be still happy? does it have side-effects :p ? it seems to work so far to reduce the heat :)
    thanks!

I downloaded the SMC Fan Contral, is is any different from Fan Control 1.1, any one significantly better?

thanks!!

8. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

i don't think one is any better than the other; it's all personal preference. I think that the worst thing that could happen is that the fan could break after years of use at the highest RPM, but even that's a maybe.