Macbook Pro (Intel Merom)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by menziep, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. menziep macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2006
    #1
    Who?

    is waiting for a Macbook Pro with Intel Merom as there is a number of Benifits

    1.More Battery Life
    2.64bit
    3.Virtualization Technology
    4.2-4MB L2

    Please Post Your Comments
     
  2. cwedl macrumors 65816

    cwedl

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2003
    #2
    I am planning on getting a Macbook Pro in a few years probably so all of that sounds good to me, and when the time comes if there are rumours to that effect I will wait. But at the moment it seems like a long way off as intel are still working on it.
     
  3. 92GTA macrumors newbie

    92GTA

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2006
    Location:
    Anguilla, BWI
    #3
    From what I've researched so far, we should be able to do a processor swap so long as Apple provides a Firmware upgrade for us. Of course it's a soldered chip so hopefully you know someone who can get it done for you unless you can do it.
     
  4. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
  5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

    iMeowbot

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2003
    #5
    The Yonah Core Duo does support VT, so you can cross that one off the list of reasons to wait.
     
  6. sunfast macrumors 68020

    sunfast

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Location:
    London
    #6
    I can wait till next year and then I will buy. Mainly because it will mean a computer with 10.5 and iLife '07 saving me an upgrade fee. But if that means Merom too I'll be delighted.
     
  7. howesey macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2005
    #7
    The north bridge is not compatible, and the socket will eb different. So no Merom in current iMacs and MacBooks I'm afraid.
     
  8. 92GTA macrumors newbie

    92GTA

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2006
    Location:
    Anguilla, BWI
    #8
    I read that an actual Intel PR rep confirmed that they are the same socket and that there will be a version which will work. You know there are going to be like 6 different Merom based Intel procs right?
     
  9. XP Defector macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2006
    #9
    I'm undecided really, currently going away for 5/6months around December time. If I can wait till September for a Merom 2.3+ghz MacBook + launch problems fixed + longer battery life and the possibility of 4GIG RAM then I might as well wait until I come back, when Leopard and Vista are on the market.
     
  10. macpastor macrumors regular

    macpastor

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2006
    #10
    Those features are great, but the best reason to wait is for the quality issues to be taken care of. They suck now. I went through 3 MBP's and said enough is enough!
     

Share This Page