Macbook Pro (Intel Merom)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by menziep, Apr 5, 2006.

1. menziep macrumors 6502a

Who?

is waiting for a Macbook Pro with Intel Merom as there is a number of Benifits

1.More Battery Life
    2.64bit
    3.Virtualization Technology
    4.2-4MB L2

Please Post Your Comments

2. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I am planning on getting a Macbook Pro in a few years probably so all of that sounds good to me, and when the time comes if there are rumours to that effect I will wait. But at the moment it seems like a long way off as intel are still working on it.

3. 92GTA macrumors newbie

92GTA

From what I've researched so far, we should be able to do a processor swap so long as Apple provides a Firmware upgrade for us. Of course it's a soldered chip so hopefully you know someone who can get it done for you unless you can do it.

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The Yonah Core Duo does support VT, so you can cross that one off the list of reasons to wait.

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I can wait till next year and then I will buy. Mainly because it will mean a computer with 10.5 and iLife '07 saving me an upgrade fee. But if that means Merom too I'll be delighted.

7. howesey macrumors 6502a

The north bridge is not compatible, and the socket will eb different. So no Merom in current iMacs and MacBooks I'm afraid.

8. 92GTA macrumors newbie

92GTA

I read that an actual Intel PR rep confirmed that they are the same socket and that there will be a version which will work. You know there are going to be like 6 different Merom based Intel procs right?

9. XP Defector macrumors 6502

I'm undecided really, currently going away for 5/6months around December time. If I can wait till September for a Merom 2.3+ghz MacBook + launch problems fixed + longer battery life and the possibility of 4GIG RAM then I might as well wait until I come back, when Leopard and Vista are on the market.

10. macpastor macrumors regular

macpastor

Those features are great, but the best reason to wait is for the quality issues to be taken care of. They suck now. I went through 3 MBP's and said enough is enough!