Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK
codycartoon said:
Who cares about SD? honestly, I am a hardcore video editor and I find it unnecessary. FW 800, USB 2 is plenty fast, not to mention they have internal SAT hard drives now.

Dual layer DVD's are very usefull to many professionals, usually for backing up or exchanging files.

The MacBook "PRO", unlike it's predecessor, DOES NOT HAVE FW800 nor external SATA.

codycartoon said:
The MacBook Pro is incredible, elegant, and powerful.

From a design perspective it is not as elegant as the original Aluminium Powerbook G4. The isight on top of the screen looks out of context and has put the display frame out of proportion. The same stands for the black IR receiver situated at the front of the unit.

codycartoon said:
As a student, I will start saving for one ASAP.

-cody

As a graduate i think i'll pass and spend my money on something better.

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
there's always going to be a tradeoff. you'll never find a machine that has EVERYTHING you want in one place. because frankly, everybody wants something different. i can understand the complaints regarding the lack of fw800 and the downgraded superdrive, but at the same time everyone is so quick to praise the new chip and video and built in isight. my guess would be that some of these downgrades/omissions have something to do with battery life. seeing as how the apple site doesn't post any stats on the macbook pro's longevity. either way. on paper i think this machine looks pretty impressive. would i buy one? no. nevertheless. this is just the first step in what is to be a (hopefully) most impressive evolution.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
mandis said:
From a design perspective it is not as elegant as the original Aluminium Powerbook G4. The isight on top of the screen looks out of context and has put the display frame out of proportion. The same stands for the black IR receiver situated at the front of the unit.

Agreed. These look like features to put on the revised iBook, not the Powerbook. PB should be about expansion ports, speed, and expandability, not gimmicks like remote and iSight. They belong on the consumer designs - particularly the iMac and the MacMini.

As others have said, I think this is an interim, water-testing, design.

I'd bet on the revised models having FW800, ExpressCard54 (although CardBus was fine), DL-SD (or BluRay soon?), and S-video back. Plus maybe something new (perhaps a new DVI adapter or external SATA interface). Not sure about the modem though. It ought to be there, but it probably won't ever be there again.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Well, as a soon to be college student, I have been waiting for the best time to buy a laptop for school, and after Tuesday's announcement, I decided that it was time. I don't know why all of you keep complaining, sure it's not perfect, and the "perfect" machine that was mentioned earlier just isn't possible.

They had to make a lot of modifications inside the case that we will never see in order to accomodate the features they packed into this thing. If any of you can design a PC to have all your features, by all means, do so. But until then, I'm going to enjoy my MBP.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
mandis said:
From a design perspective it is not as elegant as the original Aluminium Powerbook G4. The isight on top of the screen looks out of context and has put the display frame out of proportion. The same stands for the black IR receiver

to be fair, they have cleaned up other parts of the design. the wireless antennas have been taken off the display and moved to the hinges, and the vents on the sides are gone too, so the appearance of the display/lid and sides are more elegant than before

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
After reading a good portion of post from this thread, all I can say it WOW! The funniest part is Apple could of done just about anything and you'd still see people pissing and moaning. Apple could of kept the PowerBook name added 2 more firewire 800 ports, 16x DL DVD burner, more lcd options, larger battery option (like IBM, which is U-G-L-Y Imho), dual sata drives, dual dual-core intels, and a P**** enlargement kit and guess what? People would still find a reason to complain.

Apple has been known for their elegance in design. Name one notebook out there that has similar/comparable features, and still maintains a very sexy shell; a hair shy of an inch. IBM's have sleeks black shells but that huge battery sticking out the back looks like a buffoons a$$. You folks want the ability to upgrade video cards and such. Be prepared to care around a thick notebook.

Me personally I own a Rev. D 15 PowerBook and would absolutely love to upgrade to the new MacBook Pro. A few of us (all use PowerBooks) at work had talked about the new MacBook and we all agreed that these features; s-video, firewire 800, DL option, PCMCIA and modem are useless to us. Actually a friend of mind did make fuss about the firewire 800 but said with all the new features his fuss was over in a second.

Final note:

Let's be happy that Apple is at least taking the step to produce a great machine. The design of this machine stands the test of time and I'm absolutely thrilled they've kept the same look.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
PDE said:
Modems are still useful when travelling, visiting friends without broadband. stupid move.
How many people pay for broadband and also pay to maintain a dial-up account for when they visit non-broadband friends?

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
aristobrat said:
How many people pay for broadband and also pay to maintain a dial-up account for when they visit non-broadband friends?
Why I connect via bluetooth from my cellphone. Just as fast as a modem and tie up my line not my friends.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
My vote for Rev. B: remove Frontrow. Media Centers are bogus for laptops and especially for PRO laptops. Keep iSight. It will popularize the product and improve business communication between Mac users. It was designed as a conferencing tool and as such, can be used for pro application. S-Video and FW800 come back. Modem stays gone, but the USB modem is included free, not as an option; this cost is offset by the lack of a remote. To make up for the loss of modem (I'm basing the number of ports on the Rev. D & E G4 PowerBooks), include a third USB 2.0 port, FINALLY. This will both provide a place for the added USB space requirement that a USB modem entails, but for those who don't need it, provide a big functionality boost. Obviously, go back to the DL Superdrive. And another SMALL feature that would be nice to incorporate would be the "two fingers=right click" option that currently is only available through iScroll. It just makes sense. It's like the trackpad equivalent of the Mighty Mouse.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Meyvn said:
My vote for Rev. B: remove Frontrow. Media Centers are bogus for laptops and especially for PRO laptops.

It's not like FrontRow is a hardware device that's taking up space. It's a software feature that you are not required to use in any way, shape, or form.

And I don't think they're really aiming the MacBook Pro at purely consumers. It's a Prosumer device. I'm guessing the 17" will be the true Pro product.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
aristobrat said:
If you're one of those people how about you just get this? It's not spec'd for the MacBook but I'm sure it'll work or softwared to work by the time the MacBooks ship.

I've never used dial-up since switching to broadband a couple of years ago. I've got BB access at work, at my folks, at my wifes folks, at my local pub, and at my favorite coffee shop/restaurant. It'd be convenient to have built in for the very rare occassion I *may* need it. But it's exclusion is certainly not a dealbreaker for me. Something I probably wouldn't have even noticed was missing.

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
Everyone Needs To Have A Good Cry!!!!

Wake up!!!!

You have been complaining about the speed of the PowerBook for near on 5 years..... Each week the enivitable "PowerBook next Tuesday" was always a dream.....

Then this....

Steve releases the ultimate machine and you all whinge....... wawawa it doesn't have a useless DL drive, wawawa it doesn't have FW800(so many uses), wawawa Steve isn't telling me the battery life.... wawawa it doesn't have a circa 1942 dial up modem......

Alright.... Pull yourself together and get over the fact it is no longer called the 'PowerBook'..... It's the 'MacBook Pro'..... Get over it... It's a bloody name..... If ur concerned about the name, u r clearly not that interested in the product.

It has a Dual Core 1.83Ghz vs Single 1.67Ghz
It has 667mhz bus vs 167mhz
it has an iSight
it has X1600 vs 9700
it has DDR2 vs a machine that didnt even fully support DDR1

OMG quit ur crying

This is a mad product and shows what is to come for the rest of the line

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
aristobrat said:
Well, I don't, and I, for one, will applaud Apple for not including a feature that the AVERAGE computer user won't use. I know everyone wants the PERFECT computer, but it isn't possible to make EVERYONE happy. I believe it is Apple's goal to secure the average user as an audience. For them it would be the most profitable progression as far as their company goes. I think Apple has pretty much conquered the Pro user but has yet to conquer the "average user" region. Maybe it's not perfect for everyone, what Apple is doing. But I dare someone to say they aren't making a progression of some sort. No matter what they always make a progression, no matter how opinions may differ.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
codycartoon said:
can you please find me an example of when apple released a computer that is quadruple the speed of its predecessor and available for the same price?

hell, even twice the speed?

-cody

I flat out do not buy the 4x faster thing. Period. End of story. I imagine in real life tests in DP aware programs and in DP aware programs only, we can expect somewhere form 75% to 110% increases in performance over the PBG4s. 300% increase? Bull. shiz. Oh, and it's not available for the same price. It's available for 500 dollars more.
Who cares about SD? honestly, I am a hardcore video editor and I find it unnecessary.
That's great, but some people like to squeeze as much as they can out of any given disk. With DL, I can back up my entire hard drive with half the DVDs that it would take without it.

USB 2 is plenty fast
For an iPod, maybe. It's unstable. FW400 is theoretically slower, but still a much better solution. FW800 is overkill for most applications, I'll admit, but USB 2.0 is a joke.

matperk said:
It's not like FrontRow is a hardware device that's taking up space. It's a software feature that you are not required to use in any way, shape, or form.

And I don't think they're really aiming the MacBook Pro at purely consumers. It's a Prosumer device. I'm guessing the 17" will be the true Pro product.

Actually, it is. That infrared receiver is a piece of hardware that does take up real space. Additionally, the software is going to take up space on the hard drive.

JRM PowerPod said:
Wake up!!!!

You have been complaining about the speed of the PowerBook for near on 5 years..... Each week the enivitable "PowerBook next Tuesday" was always a dream.....

Then this....

Steve releases the ultimate machine and you all whinge....... wawawa it doesn't have a useless DL drive, wawawa it doesn't have FW800(so many uses), wawawa Steve isn't telling me the battery life.... wawawa it doesn't have a circa 1942 dial up modem......

Alright.... Pull yourself together and get over the fact it is no longer called the 'PowerBook'..... It's the 'MacBook Pro'..... Get over it... It's a bloody name..... If ur concerned about the name, u r clearly not that interested in the product.

It has a Dual Core 1.83Ghz vs Single 1.67Ghz
It has 667mhz bus vs 167mhz
it has an iSight
it has X1600 vs 9700
it has DDR2 vs a machine that didnt even fully support DDR1

OMG quit ur crying

This is a mad product and shows what is to come for the rest of the line

People are never satisfied. Calm down. These forums are for discussion. We all recognize that this is a comparably earth-shattering update when you look at the rest of Apple's PB updates um, ever. That does not make the product perfect. People are here to analyze and discuss the virtues and faults of this upgrade, not to complain or cry.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Meyvn said:
Actually, it is. That infrared receiver is a piece of hardware that does take up real space. Additionally, the software is going to take up space on the hard drive.

Alright, remove the IR reciever and you could throw in what? I think we could fit a tic-tac or two in place of it's hardware.

As for hard drive space, you are obviously correct. But how much HD space are we really talking? An extra 10 seconds of video?

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
MacTruck said:
Yep, its damn confusing and stupid thing to move away from pcmcia.

Expresscard slot is the lamest stupidest idea ever. What the heck were they thinking? PCMCIA has been around for over 10 yrs. There are millions of cards available. What the heck would I do with the 10 different cards I already own? Stupid stupid stupid.

MacBook... not so incredible.
They were probably thinking the same thing they were thinking when they became the first computer manufacturer to use USB over ADB or PS/2: "This is better. Let's try it."

matperk said:
Alright, remove the IR reciever and you could throw in what? I think we could fit a tic-tac or two in place of it's hardware.

As for hard drive space, you are obviously correct. But how much HD space are we really talking? An extra 10 seconds of video?

It's a laptop. Space is the number one commodity. I guarantee something more useful could be done with that space than an infrared port. And 10 seconds is worth more to me than a Media Center. Even the 10 seconds of my life it would take to disable it would be worth more. Apple's preinstalled software already takes up a ton of space. Mostly, though, I just think a media center pro computer, particularly a laptop, is silly. Logically speaking, you're really probably right; it doesn't technically hurt me, except for having to look at that port, but still. On a sidenote, I like Tic Tac Silvers. Thems are good. Anybody ever had one?

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
Meyvn said:
I meant, whose post was pretty that I was beating down?
Just give it up while you're ahead, we should try to stay on topic so this doesn't turn into a flame war.

I think it's great that Apple ditched the 15.2 for the 15.4. They have a plethora of displays to chose from now. And from engadgets review, the new display is stunning. (Remember he ACTUALLY seen one in person).

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I really think that this laptop can finally compete spec wise to a lot of PC laptops.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
cplusd said:
Just give it up while you're ahead, we should try to stay on topic so this doesn't turn into a flame war.

I think it's great that Apple ditched the 15.2 for the 15.4. They have a plethora of displays to chose from now. And from engadgets review, the new display is stunning. (Remember he ACTUALLY seen one in person).

Not to mention that it's 67% brighter or something, and it probably doesn't have any horizontal lines.

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
Meyvn said:
It's a laptop. Space is the number one commodity. I guarantee something more useful could be done with that space than an infrared port. And 10 seconds is worth more to me than a Media Center. Even the 10 seconds of my life it would take to disable it would be worth more. Apple's preinstalled software already takes up a ton of space. Mostly, though, I just think a media center pro computer, particularly a laptop, is silly. Logically speaking, you're really probably right; it doesn't technically hurt me, except for having to look at that port, but still. On a sidenote, I like Tic Tac Silvers. Thems are good. Anybody ever had one?
OK, call me a hypocrite (I apologize to others that read this), but your useless inane statments expose that you must have an intellectual fortitude of a telephone pole. If you're "THAT" worried about 100k, then boy you really need to find a new hobby.

Again I apologize!

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK
kwajo.com said:
to be fair, they have cleaned up other parts of the design. the wireless antennas have been taken off the display and moved to the hinges, and the vents on the sides are gone too, so the appearance of the display/lid and sides are more elegant than before

I have to dissagree. The new design is less ballanced and far more cluttered. The antennas you are reffering to were sittuated inside the top lid and therefore were never visible. As for the vents, you must be thinking of the Powerbook G4 TITANIUM, as i happen to own a 15" Aluminium powerbook G4, and i have no idea what you are talking about.

cplusd

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
mandis said:
I have to dissagree. The new design is less ballanced and far more cluttered. The antennas you are reffering to were sittuated inside the top lid and therefore were never visible. As for the vents, you must be thinking of the Powerbook G4 TITANIUM, as i happen to own a 15" Aluminium powerbook G4, and i have no idea what you are talking about.
Look at this picture:

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/01/MacBook6.jpg

Then take a look at the sides inline with the scrollpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.