Macbook Pro is running really slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by esbern, Mar 5, 2007.

1. esbern macrumors newbie

Hey...I have a Macbook Pro that I bought in August and today it just started randomly running very slow. I have never had the problem before, and it started around midday today after I came back from using it in class. A couple of things I should note:

1) when it started happenening, I had only 6 GB of my 60 GB Harddrive. I deleted 9 GB to bring it up to 15 GB and I restarted the computer. Multiple times. This did nothing.

2) opening finder goes really slowly, and it takes a long time to access my "movies" section in particular. but this isn't nearly my largest section...music is.

3) sherlock, safari, and ichat are all very slow and they are the only 3 programs that I am running.

4) I have used an adware finder called MacScan and that didn't do much at all.

Does anybody have a suggestion to help me out?

2. Nick9597 macrumors member

Couple ideas;

1. Is there a chance anyone dropped it? Could have damaged the processor.

2. Is the computer well ventilated?

Just my 2 cents.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Besides a software problem, this could be a failing hard drive or a RAM problem or another hardware related fault like a bad USB mouse or keyboard. Unplug all peripherals.

Boot from the CD/DVD that came with the machine, (insert CD, restart machine, hold the "C" key down through the restart). Under the Installer or Utilities menu, find Disk Utility. Run that and do a Repair Disk on the machine's hard drive. Restart the machine after completion

Tell us what it reported.

Repair permissions.

Read the instructions on that CD and restart it to run an Apple Hardware Test.

4. esbern thread starter macrumors newbie

Nick9597:

1. I haven't dropped it.

2. It just sits on my desk most of the time and doesn't get too hot. Yesterday I brought it to class (doesn't happen often) and I was very careful with it.

CanadaRAM:

Here is a summary of the tests i ran:

The hardware test, done be resetting and holding D, found no problems. I ran both the normal and extensive tests.

The disk utility that was found by resetting the computer and holding C was not run because I got to a screen that set "preparing to install Mac OSX" and in order to not lose my files, I shut down the computer and started up.

I ran the disk utility that can be found with sherlock and got this. It said all permissions repaired, but the computer is still runnning slow:

5. esbern thread starter macrumors newbie

oh and another thing I should mention: I ran the activity monitor to watch what happens when there is a freeze, and there i little to no computer action at that time. However, once I open a program, it tends to work pretty well and run smoothly, though there will be a glitch or two ever so often.

6. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Reset PRAM, do a clean install (Mac OS X), Update using software update and repair permissions.

7. esbern thread starter macrumors newbie

8. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

No, but it's going to erase your harddrive and install a fresh Mac OS X.

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

OK, do NOT listen to nazmac21. Seriously.
    _______________^n00b :rolleyes:
    There are SO many things you can do before restoring the OS, this isn't windows people. :rolleyes:

10. esbern thread starter macrumors newbie

Good, I wasn't going to reset anyway. What do you suggest?

11. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THIS TO ME? AT LEAST I TRIED TO HELP THE OP.

12. esbern thread starter macrumors newbie

can you guys please help me out instead of fighting?

13. esbern thread starter macrumors newbie

on another forum somebody suggest I change to a new user. This made the computer go back to its original speed. Does this mean that I have to use this user from now on? how do i change to the original one?

14. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'd suggest downloading Onyx, which is a system maintenance tool. What could be happening (depending on whether you sleep your computer or shut it down) is that the system usually runs daily, weekly and monthly maintenance at an odd hour of the day (usually when we are asleep)...if your computer is shutdown at that time, this doesn't get done.

So, download Onyx, then select the Maintenance icon, click the Scripts tab and click the execute button.

Before you do that, you should retry booting up with the Install disk (holding down C)...then select the language...you'll see a little progress bar "Preparing to install...", don't worry about it...it won't actually install without asking you. Once the next dialog appears, the Utilities menu will appear also, that will have the Disk Utility application in it...select Verify Disc, and let it do it's thing...if it comes back with an error, click Repair Disk.

Onyx has other cleaning options that you might look into as well, but I'd start with the Disk Utility on the Install Disk, then the Maintenance tab of Onyx.

Good Luck

15. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Do you have any application that open automatically when you startup in the slow account? (Check in the System Preferences>Accounts>"Name of Slow Account">Login Items, also check the Startup Items folder in the Library folder at the root level of your hard drive).

When you say Finder is slow...do you mean slow to startup or do you mean slow to respond in general?

It seems you might have a corrupt preference or something else bogging down the Finder in the old account, once you get that worked out...you can switch back. On the other hand, if it proves elusive, it might be easier just to use the new account.

16. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I would close all programs, open Terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
    in order to force Mac OS X to do its thing. It will ask you for your password.

17. esbern thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I've done that already....had no effect.