Macbook Pro Issue Update (batteries, heat, whine)...

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 3, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Christopher Price from PCSInfo.com reports that Apple is replacing early Macbook Pro batteries (serial numbers up to W8608) that are experiencing multiple failures.

Early Macbook Pros have been plagued with numerous issues (flickering, whining, heat). Recently, users at SomethingAwful.com posted a link to an Apple Service Manual that showed that Apple was instructing its service technicians to misapply thermal grease on heatsinks. Indeed, the user reported that opening up the Macbook and re-applying the proper amount of thermal grease resulted in a dramatic drop in operating temperature. Webmasters at the site were subsequently met with a cease and desist order for linking to the service manual.

Some users fed up with their whining Macbook Pro's are massing to all call Apple's support numbers on Saturday, May 20th.

In related news, summer 2004 1.25 Ghz eMac's also seem to be having significant hardware issues.

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Why does the RSS feed say "generously replacing" but the news post doesn't? :confused:

Guess I'm anal...

[admin edit: it was a different edit]

4. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

This is such @!#$%!. Apple really needs to get their head out of their a$$ on this one, suing for a link?? And who cares if they (the owners of the MBPs) are opening up their machines? Maybe Apple should actually fix the heat problem with the MBP instead of having joe shmoe sue some random person on a forum.

5. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I think this is just another notch in the "I don't think I'll buy the first version of any hi-level technology product from anybody including Apple" belt.

I want a MacBook Pro, but can stomach the wait while I watch the beta testers have a good ol' time. :)

6. Editor emeritus

longofest

you hit it the story at the precise time when the moon and earth aligned with the sun and jupiter to create a cosmic rift...

seriously... they just weren't synced up (the story had just been slightly edited). Should be fine now.

7. macrumors member

this is a shame. I think we all need to send apple some cornbread and maybe they'll fix these problems asap. :eek:

8. macrumors member

Yep, this the number one reason why I'm considering an ibook/powerbook before a MBP, and why waiting for a MacBook is out of the question.

9. macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

Love me jealous mo-fo's who don't have a MBP.

10. macrumors 65816

I cancel the two 15" for two 17" so I better not get these bugs.

11. macrumors 6502a

jaydub

One thing that is unclear -- was apple instructing their technicians to purposely misapply the thermal grease? :confused:

12. macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Mine doesn't whine really, but it does heat up VERY much. I'm tempted to open it up to check the thermal grease, but I don't want to risk voiding the warranty since I got it like a month ago.

13. macrumors 6502a

"I guess she didn't like the cornbread, either."

Name the movie and win... well, your own personal approval. I haven't much to offer.

14. macrumors member

?

so, is it right to understand that the only solution to my overheating issues on my mbp is to open it myself and re-app everything... has anyone tried to send their mbp back to apple to get it fixed?

MOD EDIT: user exlaims his distaste for Apple (using some profanity)...

15. macrumors 68000

Well, you don't technically have the right to link to other sites resources, but it's a grey area. To link to an apple page, probably no problem. But to link simply to a pdf file or a jpeg file gets a little grey. It would certainly be illegal to insert their images into your page.

So yeah, nitpicky on Apple's part, but they certainly don't want him using their resources just to bad mouth them.

And they didn't sue the guy. The sent a cease and desist. Which means "stop and stop." :) A threat I guess.

16. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, that bit doesn't make sense to me, either.

And isn't it a bad sign when a story about Apple MBPs is on a webpage called "Something Awful"?? :eek:

17. macrumors 6502a

jaydub

haha SA is just a random webboard. It's actually got its funny moments, their photoshop challenges are outstanding.

18. macrumors G5

nagromme

A typo in a service manual is never what you want!

Hopefully Apple will provide the necessary warranty repairs.

I expect Apple would do the re-app (if that's truly the right fix), but if it were me, not wanting needless hassle, I'd wait until it's very clear that Apple is doing that procedure and has let all the techs know. It's better to be part of the solution phase than the discovery phase (when some will be missed and need to go back again). I'd wait a week or three, watch user reports of the issue, and then call Apple when it looks like they're consistently handling the issue correctly.

19. Editor emeritus

longofest

The picture was quite clear that technicians were instructed to put a big glob of thermal grease on the heat sinks, so yes it was intentional in that respect. I don't think, however, that it was some sort of malicous thing... Someone made a HUGE engineering goof. And when I say huge, I mean HUGE.

The deep link wasn't the problem. It was what they deep linked to. Service manuals are for tech's eyes only, and not supposed to be seen by the public. I'm guessing that's especially true when they have a very big and embarassing goof-up in it.

20. macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Thanks for the clarification. I had figured as much, but the way it was presented made it look like it could have been malicious. At least it's something relatively minor (albeit inconvenient for current owners who are affected). It could've been a major component, which would've been even worse.

21. macrumors 6502a

Yes, they were. That's the whole problem right there: you send your machine to get fixed, and they keep the thermal paste just as it was because it says so in their service manual.

They had an excellent report by someone on the apple discussion boards that showed the whole mess, but apple took the thread down, it seems. It was really embarrasing to read. Made apple look REALLY bad. The picture of the thermal paste looked awful.

Oded S.

22. macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

Yeah, i saw the posting before it made its way to the forum here, seems a bit sluggish that theinquirer always get the bits before the mac forums do somehow...

Anyway, the pictures were hilarious, it was exactly opposite to all the makers of "heat goo" for their instructions, but that's only if you are technically savvy enough to have done installations of heatsinks before.

23. Editor emeritus

longofest

Below is the link to the somethingawful site.

WARNING!!! The site includes some vulgar and crude images and language. That being said, it also has very telling images of the Macbook Pro thermal problem. I don't believe that the site would create any workplace issues, however, the warning is there for people who are easiliy offended by crude language and images. Still, might be best to view this on a non-work computer...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1864582

24. macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Man that really IS glopped all over the place isn't it! :eek:

25. macrumors member

MacBook Pro Full Disassembly Manual

If anyone is still looking for the full Service (disassembly) operators manual I have it posted.

http://geekywino.wordpress.com/

Enjoy the manual :)

p.s. "If you surf around the site you will see I use Windows as my primary OS and discuss the switch." I've gotten some nice emails from Mac heads, I still own Macs so don't get too worked up with my criticism.