Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

200paul

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I had a MacBook Pro for a what was a month but was really only 5 days.

I bought it and it was plagued with problems - mostly the whine.

Sent it in for service, after 3 weeks of service they just caved and gave me a new one - that one was a whiner too.

Week later the old one came back .... unfixed.

Got a refund on the whole thing.

There are some good MBP out there and really had it not been a noisy freakin machine I thought it was the freaking greatest computer I ever had in my hands but I couldn't deal.

I feel i'm amung friends here so i can say this ... I bought a PC for work and i kinda like it. It's a Lenovo, it was $900 for a 14" widescreen with a centrino core duo 1.6 it has an 80GB hard drive and wifi bluetooth and a dvd/cd-rw combo with XP Pro. I took all the crap preloaded on it and loaded Firefox, ThunderBird, iTunes and Photoshop Elements. Its really nice, super fast and feels good. I can only say its tempting. Especially since with Mac its getting to be every time the wind blows you have to rebuy your software to make it "compatible" and if the hardware sucks (Macbook Pro) that's out currently you only can wait until the next rev, with Windows there are many vendors that you can choose from. I mean its tempting.

200paul

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2004
San Francisco, CA
St Soichiro said:
LOL - funny. I agree. No whine, no gripes, a bit warmer than my PB G4, but oooh so much faster! Very-very happy with my 2.16 MBP.

This is the worst thing about this that it has turned Mac users (brothers in arms if you will) against each other. The Apple boards are filled with people who are having problems and hating life and people that aren't who are being arrogant saying that their life is perfect.

The truth is Apple can make bad machines as well as good and that there are definatly both out there.

Demon

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
Not surprised..

I am not at all surprised at the poor construction of Apple laptops...
having gone through 3 generations of faulty powerbboks, from 5300 to the G4 pBook. they all had problems and die eventually... :(

kenn8theocho

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Exact reson to get pb or ibook

I was considering waiting for the 13.3" Macbook, but it is advised by most techs to wait about 6 mos. before buying a totally new computer. That's why i picked the powerbook 12" (I also don't want the plastic case that will come with the macbook 13.3"). If you want one of then new macbook pros, you have to wait for them to fix the glitches. For example, if you ordered windows xp (crap) when it first came out, you would get a insane number of bugs. But if it was purchased let's say 3 most later, It had very few os problems (even though it still is crap). Wait it out... or go for the computers that apple has been refining for years.

Demon

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
Hope this helps!

Unbelievable. after all the help from macrumors and the internet, i've fixed the whine in my laptop... and it didn't take the 500 USD that Apple wanted me to pay to fix it. thanks to all that replied it "Why do Macs Suck - a diehard fan" thread. appreciate it all. check out the reason for the whine and grind HERE:
or
http://equipian.blogspot.com/2006/05...em-solved.html

I totally expected to find something like this...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Macrumors said:
Some users fed up with their whining Macbook Pro's are massing to all call Apple's support numbers on Saturday, May 20th.
Is this the first time a group effort to phone Apple like this has been organized? It's bound to be more effective than yet another online petition.

deckwalker

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2005
Lao PDR
For what it's worth, I love my MBP. It's FAR quieter than my work issued HP laptop, and much cooler than my old 867 MHz 12" PB, and it's faster than the two put together. I did have a DVD stick in the drive but was able to remove it eventually. I expect teething problems with a Revision A, but have had fewer issues than I anticipated. I'd buy it all over again.

St Soichiro

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
Tulsa, OK
200paul said:
This is the worst thing about this that it has turned Mac users (brothers in arms if you will) against each other. The Apple boards are filled with people who are having problems and hating life and people that aren't who are being arrogant saying that their life is perfect.

The truth is Apple can make bad machines as well as good and that there are definatly both out there.

Did not want to come across as being arrogant. Just pointing out that my MBP is working fine. I can truely sympathize with those that are stuck with a not-so-OK machine after having spent a lot of money. But one only hears about the not-working ones, so I wanted to point out that there are (atleast) some of us who are not having major problems/issues.

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Demon said:
I am not at all surprised at the poor construction of Apple laptops...
having gone through 3 generations of faulty powerbboks, from 5300 to the G4 pBook. they all had problems and die eventually... :(

For me it is the exact opposite. All my gear is ver A and I never seem to have any of the issues. I even have a preproduction (can't say the model) and a ver A of the same model sitting side by side and neither have had any issues in the years that I have been using them. I'm not trying to say that some people aren't having problems, but I just don't get it when someone says they have had nothing but problems.

200paul

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2004
San Francisco, CA
St Soichiro said:
Did not want to come across as being arrogant. Just pointing out that my MBP is working fine. I can truely sympathize with those that are stuck with a not-so-OK machine after having spent a lot of money. But one only hears about the not-working ones, so I wanted to point out that there are (atleast) some of us who are not having major problems/issues.

Sorry didn't mean you - the Apple boards is where you find those peeps. The ones that say "the only whine i hear if from you people".

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
Welcome to the world of Intel Apple! I remember a few discussions between the modders at my university, hours of discussions on what thermal paste is better with what type of heatsink!

I will wait for a official second revision before I go for a MBP (or the way my finances are going the 15th official revision :( )

CHROMEDOME

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Bay Area/LA
Rev. A new processor hardware, everyone says not to buy Rev. A and then you can't resist. Then you whine about problems. Duh, its going to have problems. Rev A anything is pretty risky, I learned that from my Rev A iMac G5 and its 2 replaced logic boards.

GOONS!!!

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Mudbug said:
I think this is just another notch in the "I don't think I'll buy the first version of any hi-level technology product from anybody including Apple" belt.

I want a MacBook Pro, but can stomach the wait while I watch the beta testers have a good ol' time. :)
The sage voice of wisdom....has those who'll follow suit, in the good sense.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Not sure if this has been posted already but, with reference to the whining problem of the MacBook Pro's, didn't Steve note when the laptop was announced that "these things are screamers"...

Based on that I'd suggest that just whining was an improvement.

Wellander

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2006
Huntington Beach Ca
Hi,
I know that this is off topic however.
We have not heared too many issues about the intel base imacs of mac mini's.
So that is a good thing.
And as far as the 1.25 ghz emacs apple should make a repair extention on it.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
EricNau said:
Apple really screwed up with this one.

That sure sums it up for me.

My MBP is back at the dealer. I am waiting for my refund.

Oded S.

Nookie()Bear

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2006
Old news

As an Apple qualified tech I can say that the pics in this takeapart are not a new thing.

Thermal grease has been applied to a lot of mac products, and in most cases the pics are like that - imac g5's, imac g4's, pbs

ok some have thermal pads, but this so-called misapplication is not new.

Brad Raple

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2004
Giant Bucket, USA
CHROMEDOME said:
Rev. A new processor hardware, everyone says not to buy Rev. A and then you can't resist. Then you whine about problems. Duh, its going to have problems. Rev A anything is pretty risky, I learned that from my Rev A iMac G5 and its 2 replaced logic boards.

GOONS!!!

I"m sorry. I must be one of those goons. I was extremely excited about getting a MBP, and drove an hour and a half to pick mine up. I loved it at first, but the whine was bad, it kept dropping my airport connection (sometimes forgetting the WEP key to boot) the battery life was unimpressive, and the thing was scalding to the touch. Now we know why. All those problems are behind me now, because I think the Mag Safe power socket died on me last night. It won't take a charge at all, and the battery is out of juice.

I know they wanted to rush the product out, but there is absolutely no excuse to ship a product that has such widespread, serious problems. Especially from a company like Apple. ESPECIALLY at this price point. I would be angry if a $500 laptop had these issues. I'm FURIOUS that my $2000 Mac is having them. I have two $500 Dells in my closet that don't. And no, I'm not a Windows fanboy. I'm PISSED that I HAVE to use them instead of my broken, brand new MBP.

"Duh, it's going to have problems."

Why? Why should it? Give me one good reason, and "Because all Rev A's have them!" isn't going to cut it.

Apple's early adopters should not need to be referred to as "beta testers". When the thing is on the retail shelf, the time for beta testing and quality control is done. And I haven't spent ANY money on Firefox, Gmail, Adium, or any other "beta" product I've used. This is a RETAIL version of a flagship product that has the potential to be a true switcher computer. I'm sure all of my Windows friends will be impressed when I tell them my MBP is in the shop because Apple decided to use THREE FREAKING TUBES of thermal paste inside the thing. I know middleschoolers that know how wrong that is.

The sick thing is that Apple will keep me as a customer, regardless of how crappy they treat me. I feel like a battered woman that has nowhere to go but the streets if she leaves her abusive boyfriend, all the while hoping he'll change. They've got me hooked, but they've got 95% of the rest of the world to worry about. The publicity this BS gets can't help them win any new converts.

Sorry this is so long, but as I said before, I'm PISSED. :mad:

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
MacsomJRR said:
Love me jealous mo-fo's who don't have a MBP.

Nah, still loving the beta-testers... You're all doing a damn fine job!! ;)

Mind you, I'm likely to be in the same predicament as the moment the PowerMac replacements are announced Mr. Visa is being dusted off and severely melted... Oh the joy and pain of it all!! :rolleyes:

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
bretm said:
Well, you don't technically have the right to link to other sites resources, but it's a grey area. To link to an apple page, probably no problem. But to link simply to a pdf file or a jpeg file gets a little grey. It would certainly be illegal to insert their images into your page.

So yeah, nitpicky on Apple's part, but they certainly don't want him using their resources just to bad mouth them.

And they didn't sue the guy. The sent a cease and desist. Which means "stop and stop." :) A threat I guess.

Yes, this is true. I was just ranting cuz I know Apples better than this to let problems like these slip by.

Kind of like how Brad Raple appears to feel

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
bursty said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrumors

In related news, summer 2004 1.25 Ghz eMac's also seem to be having significant hardware issues.
wtf?

ok, thank god, somebody else too. wth does that have to do with anything?

B. the whole thermal paste thing. So did apple by accident say put on more Paste then was needed?

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
Brad Raple said:
"Duh, it's going to have problems."

Why? Why should it? Give me one good reason, and "Because all Rev A's have them!" isn't going to cut it.

Apple's early adopters should not need to be referred to as "beta testers".

I absolutely agree with you. I find people here that scoff at all the early purchasers as 'beta testers' absolutely ridiculous. Hopefully, they will get a shoddy Rev. B product, and then they will understand how 'beta testers' feel.

I mean, if I were a Quality Control manager.. sheesh, I would spend considerable amount of time to make sure the product didn't have such noticeable issues.. like the whine and the heat. Sure, I might miss things which don't appear problematic, until prolonged usage.. but come on, a high pitched sound and crazy temperatures?

You would think that they just assembled these units without any temperature measurements, performance measurements, no testing for any 'audio anomaly'.. terrible. Absolutely terrible. And what makes it worse, is, that its from Apple. We apple fans are so used to impeccable quality, that we wouldn't think twice of dropping down $2500 for a 15" MBP.

Hardware problems like these are the things we expect the least from Apple.. whether its a Rev A or a Rev Z product.. there shouldn't be such issues. No excuses.

Sometimes I question if its worth paying so much premium for an operating system running on a beautiful, but erroneously functioning hardware unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.