Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Me and my friend have the same 2015 mac book pro every time we leave our computer on and leave the mac book with our screen close in clam shell mode it does not drain any battery is this a normal cause my friend wants to know

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Clamshell mode implies that you have an external display, and external keyboard/mouse attached, with the power adapter plugged in. The lid would already be closed, otherwise it is not clamshell mode.
The battery would charge in that mode, because the power adapter is plugged in. Battery charges until fully charged, then you just have power (the power adapter light would be green)

If you leave the external devices attached, with the lid closed, then it is in clamshell mode.
If you disconnect the power adapter while sleeping in clamshell mode (external devices still attached), then you might expect that there will be more battery drain in a few hours, more than regular sleep.

Without external devices, and a closed lid, then it is sleeping (that's not clamshell mode)
And normal sleep, with no power adapter attached, you will get a small power drain, maybe 10-15% drop overnight, in that range.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Me and my friend have the same 2015 mac book pro every time we leave our computer on and leave the mac book with our screen close in clam shell mode it does not drain any battery is this a normal cause my friend wants to know

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201714

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202824

Here are couple articles from Apple that should answer your questions about how sleep works. But a new Mac like yours will go into "Standby mode" after three hours and uses very little power. Once in standby mode it can last as long as 30 days while asleep on battery power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.