Macbook/Pro - issues I can't find a response to so far

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sierra oscar, Aug 19, 2006.

1. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I've read all the usual macbook versus macbookpro ...well pros and cons - however I've a nagging question still.

I'm a PhD student, needing a portable to record, transcribe interviews and write a large thesis etc. My only must haves...are word and Endnote (which I'm currently running well on my lampshade iMac).

My burning question is really - given that I will be presenting at conferences and using various data projectors etc (using various projection sizes) - will the MacBook serve me well here? Or do I really need to spend more for the pro? On the surface the macbook looks perfect...but I don't want to spend less now for it to cost me a few months later when I realise it won't do all that I need it to when I get to a new conference location and the machine won't respond well - graphics-wise (and I don't want to spend more on a pro just in case - as I can use those funds elsewhere). Just concerned about the possible false economy argument here.

Any advice, including any experiences with Endnote and the new intel machines would be appreciated.

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I think you should be fine. The MacBook supports external displays both as extended desktop and mirroring. From MacBook tech specs:
    The GPU in the MacBook may not be the hottest and fastest for games, but it should be more than good enough to shuffle 2D presentations to an external projector. They're usually 1024x768, right?

3. FredClausen macrumors regular

FredClausen

The macbook will serve you just fine. The MB offers a Mini-DVI jack, same as the MBP, which you will be able to get a 20 USD adapter to attach the projector to your computer via VGA, DVI, etc.

Graphics are just fine on the MB. I run my MB with an external monitor with zero slowdowns. RAM is an issue, I have the stock 512 and its fine for silly things like surfing the web and chatting on AIM, but if you start stacking apps like Word running in Rosetta you will notice a slow down.

Sorry I can't offer advice on Endnote but according to http://www.endnote.com/enmacintel.asp it seems Endnote will run fine under Rosetta. Just like running MS Word under Rosetta you will be eating RAM like mad.

4. sierra oscar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses Gekko and FredC.

You know, I wasn't really aware I would be running word through Rosetta actually - I guess I didn't think about that. I just assumed like my current word and endnote version - they were made specifically for the O/S. I get this now. Endnote has always been sluggish anyway...mmmm.... I don't think this will be any different though between the pro and macbook.

Great that you reinforced the RAM issue FredC - I will take delivery of either mac with 1gig of RAM as it is - more if I can afford - so now I know I can't go without that extra bump.

Thank you for your responses - purchase choices like these are more critical when budget is the primary concern and so is performance.

5. sierra oscar thread starter macrumors 6502

Just one more thing:
    1024x768...Well this is it - I'm not sure what these numbers mean in real terms - when I read the specs to both the macbook and the MBP - it was hard for me to ascertain what figures would do the job as I require.

None of my colleagues use a mac - so I haven't been able to check this out as it is being projected. However, I've been to a few public lectures where a Powerbook has been used - but I've never seen an iBook used for this application. So that got me thinking about the possible capabilities or the differences between the consumer and pro machine - in the new macbook range.

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro is that the MacBook is limited to 1920x1200 which is every normal VGA/DVI display on the market except the 30" Apple and the 30" Dell display. The MacBook Pro can drive the 30" displays, too.

7. sierra oscar thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks Gekko - that's now clear for me