MacBook Pro Kernal Panic after installing NEW Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alex3231, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Alex3231 macrumors member

Alex3231

I was able to restart windows and tiger several times, but when i just went into mac os it loads my startup items and then it goes to kernal panic. i thought that my firmware wasn't updated but i booted from the os dvd and went into the hardware config thingy from the Install portion. My firmware matched up to the one that my laptop had, but why would this happen then? I am sorry that there are typos and that this seems rushed, but i am freaking out because i wasn't even able to boot into the safemode without a kernal panic!

Thanks!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Can you show us the panic log?

/Library/Logs/panic.log

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

The new bootcamp is just a beta. It is going to have some problems. I dont know much about bootcamp, but it could be a faulty download and if you can get rid of it then i would reccomend it. Try logging into verbose mode to find out the problem in specifics. If that doesnt work i dont know. sorry, hope it all works out.

4. Alex3231 thread starter macrumors member

Alex3231

I can't get even like 5 seconds within mac os to even get to the log :-(. I knew that Bootcamp was a beta and that not stable but the neighbor in the college suite has the same exact system (however i have 2gb of memory, and 2.16ghz Options) and he has been running bootcamp for months now :-(

i didnt know what verbose mode is so i will try that now...thanks for the help

and i just ran and got a copy of parallels which i will use instead of this "beta" program...lol

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Haha yeah, betas can be a pain in the ass, and this is fairly rare or else apple wouldnt have put it out yet, you were just the unlucky one somehtingl ike this was inevtiablly gunna happen to. Good Luck.

6. Alex3231 thread starter macrumors member

Alex3231

yeahh i know. and plus, this laptop's logic board went out the week of feb 13th and i have also noticed dead pixels like on the central part of the screen and i take the best of care of this machine. right now i am stuck in xp so that is how i am able to talk

verbose didn't work :-(

would you guys reccomend me to Target Disc my laptop to another computer and backup and reInstall Tiger?

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

If you have to, just make sure you have everything off it that you can get to. Although if you can call Apple, i would try that too.

8. Alex3231 thread starter macrumors member

Alex3231

haha of course!!! i just wish that my high school computer IT department which i worked with hadn't given me a USB2.0 External, but a firewire one since it doesn't let me boot off of it :-(

i feel more confident that i will be able to fix it. AND, also this is my first mac that i have owned. I have been working with macs since 8th grade, now a freshmen in college, and i am still telling myself that Mac OS and Apple Inc. are Far Better than WINDOWS and DELL.

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

And you keep telling yourself that. Ive owned a Mac all my life and i have wored with Dells and the microsoft system at school and have been very dissapointed. :apple:

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

11. Alex3231 thread starter macrumors member

Alex3231

Oh I will. I am also going to be telling my professor that is leting me do a re-do of my paper why i can't access the paper since the mac partition doesnt let you view it inside of windows, and he is going to be thinking that i am like a atomic bomb builder or something on a high level of intelect or somethng. I am going to laugh, but i will defentally come back at explain what happens with the computer later on today after i backup my lappy to a powerbook which will have my external also hooked up...i know it is going to be a crapshoot, but w/e

12. Alex3231 thread starter macrumors member

Alex3231

I was able to find a program that let me see mac partitions within windows xp, so i backed it up to my macforated external and re-formated...ohh well its working now...

DONT USE BOOTCAMP! lol :apple:

13. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Thats very useful, what is the name of the program?

14. Alex3231 thread starter macrumors member

Alex3231

Oh I left that part out. The Parallels for Mac it took no time to install. I think i might be having my dad mail me up windows 3.1 :D lol

15. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

:D