Macbook Pro LCD response time

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macuserx86, Jun 12, 2006.

1. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2006
    I am curious, does anyone know that response time of a Macbook Pro LCD (or even the response time of a Powerbook LCD) I would guess that it is around 14-16ms, but does anyone know for sure. Thanks!
  2. POWERSHAKER macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2007
    No way! I did some checking on the Macbook Pro LCD response time after I bought a 20" Apple Cinema to go with it. I was upset about the Cinema's response time, so I started digging. I discovered Apple tells the truth, whereas other companies with 5ms and other response times do not tell the truth. Instead of white to gray or whatever real test, they will use different colors. Apple's response times on the Apple Cinema are 14ms, and that is a legit number. With that said, I just started thinking to myself about the response time of the Macbook Pro LCD itself. I checked on it, and it's worse than the Apple Cinema. Are you surprised that all our games play fine? Don't be. This response time crap is garbage. The LCD on the 17" Macbook Pro that i have and the 15" I suspect has a response time of around 20ms. Notebook monitors were never meant to be the best anyway. With that said, 14ms on the Apple Cinema is fine, and 20ms on the Macbook Pro doesn't seem to be bothering anyone does it? Notebook monitors are not naturally competitive with external monitors. So... next time someone tells you not to buy an Apple Cinema monitor with 14ms response time, tell them they don't know what they're talking about. I've played high-end games, movies and iTunes visualizations on the Apple Cinema 20" with no problem. I've never had a single problem. Maybe that helps?
  3. madboom macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2008
    Well on LCD observations in general...

It all depends on your expectations, I happen to have a $1500 32" 1080p TV as my main monitor and it happens to have a mode which reduces response time on one input.

When in game mode I can play anything with no problems at all, when in regular mode I notice some very slight ghosting if I am playing an older game where I get super high (150+) FPS.

Basically if your running a game in which you get a true 100+ FPS to the screen then response time on an Apple display might not be up to par, but if your in the average mans 30-60 FPS range you should have absolutely no problems with any modern LCD.

Figure an absolute worst case full transformation from GTG @ 30 ms, = 33 FPS. That's acceptable for most folks. Take into account that your average response is about 20ish with an Apple display, = 50 FPS. It's just fine for most people although not exactly high performance.
  4. madboom macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2008