Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is about to unveil the most significant overhaul of its MacBook Pro lineup in over four years, according to people familiar with the matter (via Bloomberg).

Today's claim appears in the second report from the news outlet this week professing insider information on Apple's upcoming product plans.

macbooktouchpanelspotify.jpg

Consistent with previous rumors, the article says the updated notebooks are thinner and will include a touchscreen strip along the top of the keyboard, which is expected to present functions on an as-needed basis that fit the current task or application, as well as integrate Touch ID to enable users to quickly log in using their fingerprint.
The new top-of-the-line MacBook Pros will be slightly thinner than the current models but are not tapered like the MacBook Air and latest 12-inch MacBook, one of the people said. The new MacBook Pros have a smaller footprint than current models and the casing has shallower curves around the edges. The pressure-sensitive trackpad is also slightly wider, the person added.
More significantly perhaps, the anonymous source claims the new MacBook Pros will feature more powerful and efficient graphics processors for "expert users such as video gamers".
An option for a version featuring a higher-performance graphics chip from Advanced Micro Devices Inc. will be available, another person familiar with the matter said. It's unclear which provider Apple will use for the main processor, but Intel Corp. has supplied this in the past.

Apple is using one of AMD's "Polaris" graphics chips because the design offers the power efficiency and thinness necessary to fit inside the slimmer Apple notebook, the person said. The new graphics card is more than 20 percent thinner than its predecessor, AMD said earlier this year. AMD declined to comment, referring inquiries to Apple.
As reported previously, the switch to the new Polaris 11 architecture is expected to be a significant performance upgrade over the previous 28nm chips, with AMD promising "console-class GPU performance for thin and light notebooks" and "extraordinary VR experiences" from the new low-power mobile architecture.

The new design will also include USB-C connectivity that can handle charging, data transfers, and display outputs, according to the source, corroborating earlier rumors. Apple is also reportedly considering whether to offer the notebooks in gray, gold, and silver, although it's unclear if colored MacBook Pros will be available on initial release.

The new computers have been in advanced testing since earlier this year, according to the source, although they aren't likely to debut at an event "currently scheduled for September 7 to introduce next-generation versions of the iPhone".

With Monday, September 5 being Labor Day, previous predictions tagged September 6 as the day of Apple's iPhone 7 event, but Wednesday still roughly lines up with Apple's usual pattern for iPhone releases. Last year, Apple announced the iPhone on September 9, started pre-orders on September 12 and released it on September 25. The company may opt to unveil refreshes for the Mac at a separate event later in the fall, perhaps in October.

Article Link: MacBook Pro Lineup Set For 'Most Significant Overhaul in Over 4 Years'

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Well, the bar was really low the last 4 years, so that won't come as a surprise. Anything other than processor, GPU, RAM, disk size and battery upgrade, which, you know, has happened regularly the last 30 years, and the article will be correct.

Maybe we should all start writing for Bloomberg!

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Doesn't Apple normally have an event in October as well? I'd guess that's more likely the time they'll introduce the new macbook. The september event will be for iPhone, iOS, probably apple watch; and the other half will be new watch bands. October will be macbooks, macOS, and maybe some other minor updates to imac and mac pro. Just my thoughts. :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The USB-C is what worries me about this otherwise great MacBook Pro update. If it only has USB-C, no less than five standards (MagSafe, USB-A, HDMI, Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt 2, SD card slot) are being dropped all at once. Many people (myself included) who use these Macs aren't ready for that yet.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Looks like this design would be a bit of a pain for those of us Pro users who listen to music and do a lot of programming, since a lot of IDEs (like Android Studio) tend to use the Function keys. Looks like we'd now have to swap between two different displays for using the Function keys and controlling the volume. (Notwithstanding the fact that having to press something like Cmd-F4 when one of those keys is real and the other isn't will just be weird.)

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
What about tim cooks pc replacement comment:confused:

“I think if you’re looking at a PC, why would you buy a PC anymore? No really, why would you buy one?”

Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people
. -Tim Cook

Last edited:

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011
Every new Mac that doesn't come with an Nvidia GPU option is a new Mac I will never buy.
I would have completely agreed with you in the last 5 years, however, AMD really stepped up their game with the Polaris architecture. The 480 is a magnificent card for its price and if similar options are placed in the MBP, then I won't be completely disappointed.

This is coming from an owner of a 2011 Late MBP with the stupid ****** 6750M (which I hate btw).

Also, we can never move Apple away from their love of efficient battery power, thinness and overall aesthetics which only AMD gpus can fulfill sadly.

elmaco

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2012
"extraordinary VR experiences" from the new low-power architecture.

It MBP could support Oculus and Vive, I would definitely get one with the high-end graphics card. If not, I will take the cheapest version and save the money for a PS VR.

Mark-Technology

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2011
"extraordinary VR experiences" from the new low-power architecture.

It MBP could support Oculus and Vive, I would definitely get one with the high-end graphics card. If not, I will take the cheapest version and save the money for a PS VR.
It would be a huge stretch to expect a MBP to support VR properly given the extremely high GTX 970 level power requirement for smooth 90fps.

I think the article is just stating for the sake of attention. 2018 MBP maybe, 2016 no way.

Reactions: rboerdijk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.